View Poll Results: Glass or Solid top humidor?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass Top

13 40.63%
  • Solid Top

19 59.38%

Thread: Glass top?

Default Glass top?

My humidor has a glass top, and I think the little display case look it has is very sexeh. Question is are there any pros or cons to a glass vs. solid top humidor? At first I though maybe constant exposure to light might be bad but my local shop's wares are displayed in wall cases drenched in natural and store lighting, so I don't think that would be a factor. What do you all think?

First . . . is the poll asking what we would recommend or what we currently have? If it is the later then you should have a "both" option as well.

I have heard the same about the light and glass tops. Generally you should not keep even a solid top humi in direct sunlight let alone a glass or plexi top model. I have also hear that glass/plexi top humis dont seal as well. I don't know for sure on either the "light" or "seal" issue though. Possibly someone else here does.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

The fact that your local store has them in direct sunlight is probably due to the fact that: A) He sells a lot of cigars so they won't be in the sun for long or B) They are in boxes as well so the sunlight exposure is limited. I think if you plan on aging cigars and they are in direct sunlight you are asking for some bleaching of your stogies. Also the higher heat of being in direct sunlight would evaporate more moisture.

I bought a Glass top humidor and after having it for a little while I sold it to a friend for a fraction of the cost that I paid, just so I could get a solid top humidor. I did it for a couple reasons, to keep the sun out and the moisture in. I feel if it is one of the cheapy humidors that everyone gets then the chances of it having a perfect seal are probably a little less then the solid top humidors. Also there is more cedar in the solid tops wich is good for keeping your humidity in and flavoring your cigars. Also unless you have a top tray full of expensive stogies it doesn't look that good either. And even if you have a top tray full of nice stuff then you have all your friends poking around looking at them. Closed top gives it the out of sight out of mind feel
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    First . . . is the poll asking what we would recommend or what we currently have? If it is the later then you should have a "both" option as well.

I have heard the same about the light and glass tops. Generally you should not keep even a solid top humi in direct sunlight let alone a glass or plexi top model. I have also hear that glass/plexi top humis dont seal as well. I don't know for sure on either the "light" or "seal" issue though. Possibly someone else here does.

- Jason
    I think the poll is asking the preference
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

I say:

PLASTIC TOP

like one you'd find on a coolerdor
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter guys... I tend to keep my glass top out of direct light, helps to keep the temp stable.

And I was refering to your preference, not what you own at the moment.

7. Default

I currently own 4 humidors with glass tops and 5 with solid tops. All are equipped with state-of-the-art digital hygrometers and temp-gauges. I prefer the solid tops because a quick check of the digital memory reveals that the solid tops keep them much more temp-consistant. It is really noticeable.

P.S. A good hint is to keep the glass ones away from sunlight.

SFG75 Guest

I have a solid topped one, but I plan on having my next one be a glass top. As long as you take care of it and keep it out of the sunlight, you are good to go. To me, they look a heck of a lot better than a solid topper. Plus, you can drool on the glass and not mess up the humidity. My vote is for glass.

Default But what about....

Glass FRONTS??!!

I have a cabinet humi with a glass panel in the door, which of course I keep from direct sunlight.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I say:

PLASTIC TOP

word
    The older I get ,the better I was

I have one glass top humi and I keep my hyrgo on top of the cigars so it can be read through the glass, nice and convienient. I also have a solid top 300 countwith a remote temp humidity guage. The reciever is on my desk so I know that my huni is at a confy 69% humidity right now. I like the glass because like SFG said you can drool over your cigars and not have to open you humi to do so.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    Glass FRONTS??!!

I have a cabinet humi with a glass panel in the door, which of course I keep from direct sunlight.
    Well I have a Cabinet humi on the way. The top half is glass, but I will only put boxs up there so that will help. And I'll keep it out of direct sunlight too

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I say:

PLASTIC TOP

Just made my first one yesterday. Its still empty, cause i havent bought any boxes lately, but its good to be prepared. i have the beads all ready to go, and have a dig hygrometer that reads the rh and temp on the inside, and dsiplays it on the outside.

I would say go with hardtop. I just like the look of the wood all around, espically if your humidor is made of fine wood, and jsut not cherry. Mine is made of mohogany, and the other one is made of Black African somthing... Both look really nice. And besides...i already know what is in my humidor, and i can drool jsut thinking about them. Dont need a glass or plexi top. Also, you dont have all your fiends seeing your expensive sticks and poking around inside.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

I own both solid and glass tops at around same capacity. Glass looks nice but can't be trusted with my gems, My humidor overflow goes in there along with the sticks i get for $.25 from closeouts online that I give away go in there.

Thread Information