Thread: Shotgun shells and Cigars

Default Shotgun shells and Cigars

Only In Mississippi

So my wife is looking through one of the local coupon magazines that come in the mail and asks me if I've seen the coupon for 10% of Ammo or cigars and accessories. I kinda laughed it off thinking it was the typical Backwoods and Swishers that some guy decided to sell along with guns and ammo.

I take a look at the advertisement and it says they have handmade cigars, a 200 square foot walk-in humidor and "North MS's only smoking lounge". I'm thinking, where the hell did this come from. So, we decide to go check it out while getting the kids flu shots. I wasn't expecting much and was wondering how you could have a smoking lounge and lots of gun powder in the same shop.

When we got there, it was actually two different businesses next door to each other that were owned by the same guy. There was a door behind the register that the employees could use to go back and forth. It had a big "No Smoking" sign just beyond the doorway, I guess for the idiots that might go browse the selection of 12 ga. ammo while puffing on a stogie.

I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of cigars they had. The walk-in still looked a little bare but they have only been open a couple of months. The lounge was actually top notch, with new leather couches and a flat screen TV on the wall. As a bonus, the guy working there was cool and very helpful, I hate to go into a B&M and deal with dickheads.

It's about damn time I get a B&M close to me without having to drive into Memphis. I'll be spending a lot of time there since it's only 10 minutes away and getting to cold to smoke outside.

Two of my favorite things. Cigar smoking and hunting. Been doing some pheasant hunting and would love to have a cigar while doing it. Just can not get my hunting cloths stinking. When I go trap shooting then all bets are off.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Of course, just when I move away.

But I got better beer down here.

Blog Entries

Few things are nicer in life than a nice B&M close by. The closest one to me here is about 5 blocks down. I only wish they hand a lounge. Back home there is one that has a lounge, but is a good 40 minute drive to the other side of town and is a bit of a ripoff.

I laughed at the idea of Shotgun shells and cigars. Never would have thought of that one.

Blog Entries

That's pretty sweet. The closest shooting range is like 30 minutes away, but you can do almost anything you want to out there. When I lived in southern California, there was one 5 minutes away. Couldn't smoke shooting trap, though.

What kind of shotguns do you guys shoot and why? I'm just kind of getting into guns and hunting (went duck hunting last season for the first time), and am shooting a Remington 870 Express. After I made the stock a bit longer, I really like that gun.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

As far as shotguns are concerned I shoot either my Dad's 30s-40s 12ga pump or his 50s 12ga side by side. neither are very great for trap as they dont have choke and spread really wide really fast. still fun though.

I envy you all, closest B&M (I wouldn't even call it a B&M) near my house is Beverages and More which is 4 blocks away. I never bought sticks from BevMo but there are some good shops about 10-15 minutes away on the freeway. Whats even worse is that there are no gun shops, shooting ranges or even paintball/airsoft shops in the area. It's illegal to have airsoft/paintball guns in the city I live in...

Last time I shot anything I drove 60 miles away to a different county just to attend a gun expo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silencei2 View Post
    I envy you all, closest B&M (I wouldn't even call it a B&M) near my house is Beverages and More which is 4 blocks away. I never bought sticks from BevMo but there are some good shops about 10-15 minutes away on the freeway. Whats even worse is that there are no gun shops, shooting ranges or even paintball/airsoft shops in the area. It's illegal to have airsoft/paintball guns in the city I live in...
    I would not buy cigars from BevMo. Last time I was at the one in your area, They were terribly overpriced, and the humi looked a bit suspicious.

You do, however, have several shooting ranges near you. Two of my favs near you:

On-Target Indoor Shooting Range LLC
    27692 Camino Capistrano
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
    You have to go with someone else, they will not let you shoot alone, unless you are military or ex-military. They do have an assortment of weapons for you to choose from.

There is also a trap and skeet range:
    400 Calle Bahia
    San Clemente, CA 92672
    (949) 366-0916
    That I really like a lot. Call first. They have set hours, but they are some good old boys, and you never know when one of them are just around the house and wanting to shoot.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Two of my favorite things. Cigar smoking and hunting. Been doing some pheasant hunting and would love to have a cigar while doing it. Just can not get my hunting cloths stinking. When I go trap shooting then all bets are off.

DG
    I haven't been doing much hunting since I got married, but my uncle does run a quail reserve not too far away. The birds don't seem to mind the cigar smoke, they're more worried about the dogs. I really dig bird hunting, watching the dogs work is always a treat. Shouldering a shotgun quickly with a cigar in your mouth can be a little tricky though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I would not buy cigars from BevMo. Last time I was at the one in your area, They were terribly overpriced, and the humi looked a bit suspicious.

You do, however, have several shooting ranges near you. Two of my favs near you:

On-Target Indoor Shooting Range LLC
    27692 Camino Capistrano
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
    You have to go with someone else, they will not let you shoot alone, unless you are military or ex-military. They do have an assortment of weapons for you to choose from.

There is also a trap and skeet range:
    400 Calle Bahia
    San Clemente, CA 92672
    (949) 366-0916
    That I really like a lot. Call first. They have set hours, but they are some good old boys, and you never know when one of them are just around the house and wanting to shoot.
    Sweet, thanks for the range info. I never bought cigars from BevMo and never trusted them but I guess I could keep it as a end-of-the-world backup B&M, lol.

I just noticed a guy today walking around with a cigar in his mouth. Talk to him and found out he just likes to chew on it while hunting. AT the trap range I don't shoot with a cigar in the mouth. I put it down when it's my turn.

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870. I currently use the 870 for bird and deer. 25 year old gun with no choke or anything. Still does the job.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

You ever shoot skeet? I always have to have him do the hi-lows separately. Some of those old guys kill it, though. I'm much better at trap. Asking for one of those hand-pull throwers for Christmas.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Just do trap. If we get enough guys we start to have contest. Who is the fast shot, and such.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Damn. I was thinking of getting back into shooting a little trap real soon. Been playing golf every weekend for about 7 months straight. Tore my bicep monday, so no golf for a while. I really want to trying sporting clays. There's a community called Myrlte Grove being developed about 15 minutes from the house. It's like a golf course community, but it's built around shotgun sports instead.
    Last edited by pub spears; 11-20-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: pulled ha

I have an 870 and a side by side I got from my dad. The side by side is by far my favorite bird and clay pigeon gun. It's shorter, so it's easier to swing. You can pull off two shots much quicker than a pump and still track targets effectively between shots. The second barrel is choked down further as well, assuming your second shot will be at a target further away. It's also very easy to clean.

My 870 is fun as well. I bought an 8 shot tubular magazine extender for it. Just for fun to see what the tactical feel of a shotgun was. I had aspirations of finding a pistol grip and an old barrel to cut down to match the length, but decided against it. 9 shells makes for a very heavy weapon that's slow to swing.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    That's pretty sweet. The closest shooting range is like 30 minutes away, but you can do almost anything you want to out there. When I lived in southern California, there was one 5 minutes away. Couldn't smoke shooting trap, though.

What kind of shotguns do you guys shoot and why? I'm just kind of getting into guns and hunting (went duck hunting last season for the first time), and am shooting a Remington 870 Express. After I made the stock a bit longer, I really like that gun.
    You can't go wrong with the 870. I've had mine for 18 years. It has a flat sight rail that makes it nice for a quick shot line up. It will last for a lifetime. Hope you enjoy your hunting.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

Thread Information