This has been on my mind for quite some time and only write this with the most heartfelt intentions.

I have noticed something that is a little disturbing to me but really none of my business but as a friend to many, I thought it best to express my views. (especially with newer/younger BOTLs)

The problem?

I've noticed many BOTLs who are over extended on their credit in the name of acquiring more cigars. I've heard some disturbing balances being maintained on their credit cards due to large number of purchases of cigars.

I believe that with the amount of discussions in the forums, pictures of collections being shown, crazy sales by retailers, that it is easy to get caught up in the "keeping with the Jones'" mentality but I would be remiss if I didn't express my concern.

PLEASE keep in mind that cigars are a hobby and should be BUDGETED for and is SOLELY based on disposable income. You SHOULD NOT be "investing" in cigars - they are a consumable that are susceptible to damage (fire, water, improper storage, beetles, theft, etc...).

People talk about a "cigar budget" and we all laugh when we blow that budget. But like any other aspect of your life, you REALLY should have a "cigar budget" and stick that budget the same as you would for emergency savings (6+ months), vacation savings, retirement, etc...

The senseless act of carrying credit card debt just to amass a cigar collect is not fiscally responsible and you are doing yourself a disservice in the long run.

The one thing that I have learned over the nearly 2 decades of being into cigars is that it's is not about the cigars. The cigars are just a compliment to the commaradarie. Yeah, the cigars are good but meeting new people and developing longer term friendships has been the best part of the hobby to me. There are many people that I now consider friends (some stay at my home) and I wouldn't have met them otherwise.

My point?

In the great scheme of the cigar community, cigar are meaningless and should not be coveted to the point where we throw away common sense and fiscal responsibility.

So please, take a step back and look at YOUR financial plan (if you don't have one, then make one!). It is your responsibility to take care of your financial security.

Happy smoking my friends.

~Mark