Thread: Indoor Smoking

Blog Entries

It seems like more and more people are against indoor smoking in any public place. Even <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-regi&#111;n w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Cuba</st1:place></st1:country-regi&#111;n> has decided to join many country’s to out right ban. In the mist of all this negative publicity towards smokers everywhere, cigar smokers in <st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">New York</st1:place></st1:State> are waging an all out battle against Mayor Bloomberg’s reelection bid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4188843.stm

Cigar nation faces smoking curbs

BBC News Wednesday, 19 January, 2005, 17:21 GMT

Cubans will no longer be able to light up freely
    Cuba, the world's best known cigar-producing country, has announced a ban on smoking in some public places.
    The government said public transport, shops and other closed spaces would become smoke-free in early February.

The ban was designed to curb damage to people's health and contribute to a change in public attitudes, it said.

More than half of Cuban adults are thought to smoke, and 30% of the country's preventable cancer deaths are said to be linked to smoking.

Cuban leader Fidel Castro, once a passionate cigar puffer, gave up the habit in 1986 and has since begun campaigning against smoking.

Cigars still generate $200m annually for the country's economy.

No sale to children

Correspondents say this is the government's biggest attempt so far to change Cuban smoking habits.

The ban extends to theatres, buses, taxis, trains, schools, food preparation areas and sports arenas.

Smoking will be restricted in restaurants, but it is not clear whether any restrictions will apply in bars.

Tobacco products, the sale of which is currently unrestricted, will be banned for children under 16. Shops closer than 100m to schools will be unable to sell the products.

Cigarette vending machines are also apparently set to become obsolete.

Partial or total smoking bans are already in force in several European countries, in the US state of California and in New York city. Several other countries are considering bans.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/5a2eb974-6c...dc-00000e2511c 8.html

New York's cigar men put heat on Bloomberg
    By Christopher Grimes in New York
    Published: January 22 2005 02:00 | Last updated: January 22 2005 02:00

New York's cigar smokers never liked mayor Michael Bloomberg's two-year-old ban on smoking in restaurants, bars and most other indoor public venues.

Now executives from some of the world's largest cigar companies are donating thousands of dollars to Fernando Ferrer, one of the Democrats hoping to unseat Mr Bloomberg in the mayoral election taking place in November.

The fundraising is being led by Marvin Shanken, publisher of Cigar Aficionado magazine, who arranged donations from at least eight cigar companies, according to campaign finance records. Mr Shanken is listed as the "intermediary" for more than $25,000 (£13,400) of donations, most from people in the cigar industry.

One donor is Edgar Cullman Jr, president and chief executive of General Cigar in New York, which manufactures cigars and runs Club Macanudo, a cigar club. Other donors include Carlos Fuente, president of Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia; executives from Altadis USA in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; and Holt's Cigar Company in Philadelphia.

In the 12 months after the ban took effect in 2003, the number of adult smokers in New York fell 11 per cent, according to the mayor's office. A poll that year by Quinnipiac University showed 59 per cent of New Yorkers supported the ban.

Mr Bloomberg once enjoyed a good smoke. In his autobiography, Bloomberg on Bloomberg, he described a party from his Wall Street days: "We shot pool, smoked Cuban cigars, played poker and laughed uproariously."

Polls this week showed Mr Bloomberg in a dead heat with Mr Ferrer.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Angry

i dont get it. this is sad. people should just mind their own business. cigar smoking is a preference, much like dancing in clubs are a preference by some. i dont dance, but i can chill in a noisy dance club. if i dont want the noise, i just get out. the treatment towards cigar smokers should also be the same. we are educated enough not to smoke in 'no smoking' places. as long as its a sealed off area designated for smoking even if its a public place, other people should not bother cigar smokers like us. they should not be inside the smoking area in the first place. my $0.2.

chris
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

i dont smoke cigars too often... and I dont mind not smoking in restraunts or other public places...

but places like bars, its just weird not to have a bit of smoke in the air, as long as its well ventilated its not really overwhelming...

generally i think it should be left up to the owner of the establishment, definently in bars/clubs it should be left to them...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

4. Default

i go to a local bar called the circus room, and as you walk in you are greeted with a sign that says "IF YOU INSIST ON NOT SMOKING IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT, PLEASE LEAVE". i live in california....not so bad here afterall

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bardock
    i go to a local bar called the circus room, and as you walk in you are greeted with a sign that says "IF YOU INSIST ON NOT SMOKING IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT, PLEASE LEAVE". i live in california....not so bad here afterall
    LOL, I wish we had places like that here in Connecticut. They passed a statewide ban on smoking in public in 2003 (except for private clubs like the Elks, etc.) and we can still smoke in cigar shops but that's about it. I smoke mostly in the car and in my house where I use a hepafilter that works fine.

Thread Information