View Poll Results: What kind of torch do you light with?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single flame

27 57.45%
  • Dual flame

12 25.53%
  • Triple flame

4 8.51%
  • Quadruple flame

0 0%
  • Matches

7 14.89%
  • Cedar strips

5 10.64%
  • Other

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of lighter do you use?

Default What kind of lighter do you use?

Just wanted to start a thread to see who uses what kind of lighter.

I use a Lotus dual flame for the most part. A lot of times I find the dual flame to be a little overkill except on large gauge cigars so I keep my first torch I've ever purchased around, a dependable Colibri with punch cut on the bottom. I've also started trying out matches which seems to work pretty well but I rarely have enough of the stick part to get a good toast going. The last one I want to try is using the cedar strips that come around certain cigars. Last time I tried this method the cedar never caught fire and just smoldered.
    Last edited by Silencei2; 11-30-2008 at 07:30 PM.

I choose "Other" since I normally just use a Bic. Although I am in the market for a new lighter, probably looking for something in a single flame, I just can't justify the $100+ they want at my local B&M.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Z-Plus insert or cedar spills.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

What ever happens to be on fire at the moment.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

I still use a bic almost every time.

Hobart Airforce 625 Plazma Cutter

Blog Entries

I use a dual flame, cheapie generic brand torch lighter, and thanks to DW, I have recently been using cedar spills. Very very nice.

I will say that I don't like the dual-flame lighter, simply because it fries smaller-gauged cigars.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I use a tiger triple flame. Bought it from a B&M in Alabama. I won a little contest and didn't want to take full advantage of their generosity so I bought the lighter.

I haven't been disappointed with it yet. It is a little heavy on fuel consumption but butane is rather cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Hobart Airforce 625 Plazma Cutter
    That's pretty funny.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

how do you ground it?

Lol I wish I had a plasma cutter to light my stick.

For all those who use BICs, don't they usually say that it doesn't burn as clean as a torch and the unburned fuel will taint the taste of the cigar? I never tried it but I was wondering if anyone had some first had experience with it.

I use a cheapo (Ronson) one flame torch, does the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencei2 View Post
    For all those who use BICs, don't they usually say that it doesn't burn as clean as a torch and the unburned fuel will taint the taste of the cigar? I never tried it but I was wondering if anyone had some first had experience with it.
    Bic's do not alter the taste of cigars. Bic lighters use butane as fuel. Liquid lighter fluid, such as in a zippo will alter the taste of your cigar. As long as it's butane you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencei2 View Post
    Lol I wish I had a plasma cutter to light my stick.

For me Bics work fine, as long as you don't dip into the flame. The yellow flame will deposit soot. Stay above the flame. A blue-flame torch will not deposit soot (cleaner flame).

Blog Entries

I have never noticed any funky taste from using my BIC, seems to work just fine and my cigars taste like, well, cigars. Like DeeDubya said though, I don't put the foot directly in the flame. The only time I ever use my torch is in windy conditions when the Bic just won't work. Doesn't mean that I don't have the obligatory collection of lighters though.

Ah i see, thanks for the clarification all. I guess I should've put BIC as one of the polling options

Blog Entries

I'm a torch fanatic!

Normally I use a double flame, and point it directly at the foot, about 3" away. The flame never touches the foot, and I never draw on my cigar until it's fully lit. I'll hold the lighter until the foot glows, then blow on it to make sure it's evenly lit. Works flawlessly, but I do tend to use a lot of butane.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Vector Triple Flame for me. I love this lighter.

You don't really need 3 flames, but man is it awesome.

It's like, you don't really need a Ferrari or a Lambo or Porsche, etc, BUT you want one.

Andrew

I like my cheap-ass torch type bbq lighter I picked up for 3 bucks at the grocery store. It's a little bulky to wander around with, but I generally only smoke cigars in my den.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

20. Default

I just like using cheap torch lighters from the gas stations they work well and quickly. Only downfall is they sometimes run out of fuel after a few uses.

Thread Information