Thread: Cheap Digital Hygrometer

1. Default Cheap Digital Hygrometer

Hello All;

I just discovered a really good alternative to the $20 digital hygrometer. All you have to do is visit your local Wal-Mart and buy a good indoor digital Hygrometer/Thermometer combo for about $10. After doing some checking around I discovered that the tolerences for the Wal-Mart versions were actually better than the cigar store versions! Plus you can get them with cool features like clocks, High/low monitors, automatic indiglo faces, etc. Check them out.

A five minute walk from Cigars International.

what section of the walmart would these be in?

sweet...I'll have to check that out...thanks.

Hey guys,
    I found a combo thermo-hygrometer at my local Target, with a remote transmitter $30.
    The device has two hygros and one works wierlessly and reports to the larger main.
    This means you can have a readout of your temp and humidity without opening your humi.
    Unless you place the main reciever in your larger humi then you can check both humidities while only opening on box.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

What section of the store(s) are you guys finding these? I visited my local Wal-Mart yesterday and couldn't find these, although I will admit I was a little hurried. Help?

Default BigD!

Go to the hardware area of the store and look for outdoor thermometers, rain gauges, etc. Some Wal-Marts put bird feeders there too. That's where you should find the digital hygros.

MMAB has it about right. I think that's where I found my Hygro.

8. Default

Just go too the outdoor/decoration section where you would find the large ourdoor thermometers. They are there with all that other junk and although they are really intended for non-cigar use, they are really acurate and work great! (I bought 5 of them to swap out some of my old analog humidor gauges.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy1
    Hey guys,
    I found a combo thermo-hygrometer at my local Target, with a remote transmitter $30.
    The device has two hygros and one works wierlessly and reports to the larger main.
    This means you can have a readout of your temp and humidity without opening your humi.
    Unless you place the main reciever in your larger humi then you can check both humidities while only opening on box.
    Did you get the Oregon Scientific? I have one of those I picked up at Target for $26 and is accurate within 1%. It's running at -1% actually.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Grandcru2,
    That is indeed the one I purchased. I wanted to get a second remote sensor but it's going to cost me at least $25 and... no way I'm payng that.

Greenville, SC Elizabeth, NJ Baltimore, MD...

Great idea! My analog hygrometer is off quite a bit and I've been putting off getting a digital one because of price. I think I'll head to WalMart tomorrow...

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

i was gonna start a new thread but found this one here so i decided to post here for now . . .

i bought a walmart hygro with temp and min max settings etc

long story short, i did the salt test that was recommended on this site and it reads only 65 not 75%. so im guessing its 10% off. is that possible??? lol

anyway, the other problem is i cant get my humi under 75 degrees at ALL. i dont know what else to do! i have tried a ziploc baggie inside another with ice in the first one. ive tried moving it to a darker area of the living room . . . and that only dropped it from 80. my next try is the closet but i somehow dont think that will be enough . . . what do i do???

OOOOORRRRR . . . if the hygro is off by 10% humidity, could the temp be off as well???? is there some sort of tablespoon of salt test for the temp??

thanks guys

Try the salt test again, or invest in a Boveda tester kit or a Fuente Humipack.

Someone mentioned that the manufacturer of the digital hygrometers recommended to not do the salt test due to possible corrosive damage. That is true. I live dangerously , and even fail to change my oil until I hit 3500 miles sometimes, but if you do the salt test it is probably a good idea to wipe her down afterwards.

I have yet to experience damage from on my digital hygrometers from performing the salt test and I had never heard of anyone having a problem until recently. Proceed at your own risk!

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX
    i was gonna start a new thread but found this one here so i decided to post here for now . . .

long story short, i did the salt test that was recommended on this site and it reads only 65 not 75%. so im guessing its 10% off. is that possible??? lol

anyway, the other problem is i cant get my humi under 75 degrees at ALL. i dont know what else to do! i have tried a ziploc baggie inside another with ice in the first one. ive tried moving it to a darker area of the living room . . . and that only dropped it from 80. my next try is the closet but i somehow dont think that will be enough . . . what do i do???

OOOOORRRRR . . . if the hygro is off by 10% humidity, could the temp be off as well???? is there some sort of tablespoon of salt test for the temp??

thanks guys
    I'd think your humi should be the same temp as its environment; i.e., the rest of the house. The rh today for your area is 65-71. Does this mean you could leave your humi open and be ok? There's a website here http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/generalag/g626.htm that explains temp/ rh realationship.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I may be wrong, but most central AC units have an air drier in them so the humdity will be alot lower in your house than outside. I live in texas where this time of year its around 100% humidity all the time, but inside it is much drier.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX

thanks guys
    i bought the beads from heartfeltindustries and ever since no problem ,havent even had to add any water in a month
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

I agree, Supe. Since I"ve had the beads, my rh never varies more than a degree or so, and stays in the acceptable range.

In one storage tutorial I read (maybe on JR), the guy says he seldom even uses a hygrometer. He says if your humidifier is reliable (beads), there's no need for one.

My guess about the temp is that it can't be warmer in the humi than the room's temp.

Moo
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual"--Bill Murray, "Stripes"

Thread Information