Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with dog rockets?

Default What to do with dog rockets?

I bought these and these about a month ago. I've smoked one of the G3 alternatives and two of the Mr B's and they were wholly unenjoyable. My main humidors are packed at the moment and I have these in a back-up humi at the moment. I didn't enjoy the flavor, way too spicy without any balance, and the burn was horrible. The interior burned before the wrapper in general and, when the wrapper did burn it was terribly uneven. Is there any chance that age will improve either the flavor or the burn? I have the space to keep them a while but wonder what the point would be if they prolly won't be smokable at some point. Assuming they won't get better with age, it seems kind of shitty to say "Here's some real dog rockets I can't even stand to smoke. Anybody want to trade?" Am I overreacting there?

Thanks,

Todd

Blog Entries

If you aren't short of space, tuck them away in a corner somewhere. The burn properties should definately improve with age. You may even find them enjoyable after a year or so... if only as yard-gars / fish-sticks.

I had the same issue with Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, horrible right off the truck, but let them rest for 8 or 10 months, and they become pretty decent cigars.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Save them for friends who "like cigars" but know nothing about them.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Exactly.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

These will become like the perverbale holiday fruit cake. Pass them off.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    If you aren't short of space, tuck them away in a corner somewhere. The burn properties should definately improve with age. You may even find them enjoyable after a year or so... if only as yard-gars / fish-sticks.

I had the same issue with Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, horrible right off the truck, but let them rest for 8 or 10 months, and they become pretty decent cigars.

Oh man, I just grabbed that one out of my humidor this morning to smoke. It has been resting for about 3 months, hope it helps.

I gave my turds to the local cigarette shop. I know her well and she gave them to her older loyal clients that would be the cheap cigars from her. They got a nice little present and cigars got a home. The all came back with big thank yous.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post

That's kind of what I though but I didn't know if the fact that they were pretty cheap would matter. I'll just let 'em ripen for a bit.

That's not a bad idea

I'd suggest you not go on any buying binges until you know what's good and what's not. Otherwise you'll be destined to post on cigar boards "trades" for dog rockets - doesn't really bode well for ones reputation...

If you woulda asked, I would have told you both of those are "yard gars", not worthy of an enjoyable experience. They're bundled/seconds - you can't expect much more than what you got (i.e. those cigars only cost about a buck a piece).

Patience, grasshopper...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Patience, grasshopper...
    Yeah, these were among my first purchases and unfortunately before I found this site. I've graduated to the $3-$8 range and finally have a good idea of what I like. The good thing is that I didn't get suckered into the Thompson culb before I found religion, er, CS With the rate I smoke, I'm set for a few months or more without needing to buy. That's not to say I don't keep an eye on cbid for a deal here and there...

Couldn't of said it better myself....

Actually, when I started, I did what Ggeise Suggests, bought all kinds of cigars, $1 to $30.... After a couple years I had dozens of BOXES that I couldn't even stand to look at, let alone smoke... Well I've finally gotten rid of all my junk!!! But I still always buy a cheaper box of cigars that I keep on hand for friends who "like cigars".
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I've got some cuban sandwich style cigars and I can't decide if they're dog rockets or not. They're fairly well made for the most part, with the occasional piece of loose wrapper or odd dent, and there's a bit acridity to the finish. They taste decent though, and after shipping were under a dollar a stick. I think I should just call them everyday, nothing special smokes, cause it's not like when I bought a garcia y vega at the Indian store and had to put it out after a few puffs. I can't believe I used to smoke those....
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanicfish View Post
    I've got some cuban sandwich style cigars and I can't decide if they're dog rockets or not. They're fairly well made for the most part, with the occasional piece of loose wrapper or odd dent, and there's a bit acridity to the finish. They taste decent though, and after shipping were under a dollar a stick. I think I should just call them everyday, nothing special smokes, cause it's not like when I bought a garcia y vega at the Indian store and had to put it out after a few puffs. I can't believe I used to smoke those....
    Anything that is hand made is going to be at least marginally better than something that is manufactured. I was given that lesson early on, when someone at a cigar shop opened a Garcia y Vega and showed me the garbage contained therein. I damn near puked on the spot without smoking it (bits of newspapers, bailing string, etc).

I don't think there is anyone that won't argue that if you find a sub $1 smoke that is excellent, you're well ahead of the game. The problem is - finding that diamond in the cesspool. It's far better to invest the $30+ per bundle on a coupla three good cigars, rather than buying a bunch of bundled cigars that end up clogging the humidor and lend their characteristics to all of the other cigars that are stored near them.

Speaking of which - if you've got some not so good bundled crapola in your humidor nestled next to your other treasures - you might want to consider transferring them to a tupperware container, lest you later smoke your good cigars and think they are crapola as well.

Well, I do feel like I got my money's worth out of the bundle, they've only been in my humidor a couple weeks and they're already more mellow on the finish. Or maybe I'm just getting used to them.

As far as the merging flavors go, I get a lot of conflicting advice on whether or not you get a lot of cross-flavoring. Though till I decide otherwise, they may go live in my travel case away from my treasures. Speaking of treasures, I'm really sad, one of them is a Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra and theres a small split just before the cap I really wished I had noticed it in the smoke shop.
    Mark Twain

Well, I do feel like I got my money's worth out of the bundle, they've only been in my humidor a couple weeks and they're already more mellow on the finish. Or maybe I'm just getting used to them.

As far as the merging flavors go, I get a lot of conflicting advice on whether or not you get a lot of cross-flavoring. Though till I decide otherwise, they may go live in my travel case away from my treasures. Speaking of treasures, I'm really sad, one of them is a Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra and theres a small split just before the cap I really wished I had noticed it in the smoke shop.
    Sorry - a "couple weeks" in the humidor does no more than possibly getting them acclimated to your humidor environment. I can't even begin to imagine (from all I've experienced) that they are now more "mellow on the finish". I could be wrong - but that's not within my understanding...

No matter what "conflicting advice" you've gotten on "merging flavors", you have to understand that a cigar is very much like a sponge. It soaks up the moisture around it. Whatever is contained in the moisture goes into the cigar.

Try this (as a pretty radical example) - buy a Acid Kuba Kuba. Place it into a zip loc bag with one of your bundled cigars. Wait about 2-3 months (resist the temptation to open it prior to 2-3 months). Smoke one of the unaffected bundled cigars, and then afterwards smoke the bundled cigar that was stored with the Kuba Kuba. Come back and post a review of your experience. I'm thinking you'll have a different perspective of the "merging" of flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Actually, when I started, I did what Ggeise Suggests, bought all kinds of cigars, $1 to $30.... <snip>

What? I suggested what???

Sorry - a "couple weeks" in the humidor does no more than possibly getting them acclimated to your humidor environment. I can't even begin to imagine (from all I've experienced) that they are now more "mellow on the finish". I could be wrong - but that's not within my understanding...
    Hey I did offer two possibilities there. It's much more likely that I'm just getting used to the flavor.

No matter what "conflicting advice" you've gotten on "merging flavors", you have to understand that a cigar is very much like a sponge. It soaks up the moisture around it. Whatever is contained in the moisture goes into the cigar.
    That's actually a damn fine point. Could be what happened to my crap cigars, they were kinda dry and prolly sucked up a lot of the cedar and other scent laden air.

Smoke one of the unaffected bundled cigars, and then afterwards smoke the bundled cigar that was stored with the Kuba Kuba. Come back and post a review of your experience. I'm thinking you'll have a different perspective of the "merging" of flavors
    I'd rather just smoke them up while driving or give away. The closest I want to get to an acid cigar is smelling the box at the smoke shop. Those things are vile. Besides, I have nothing resembling self control and generally smoke all mine before they have a chance to age.
    Mark Twain

I'd rather just smoke them up while driving or give away. The closest I want to get to an acid cigar is smelling the box at the smoke shop. Those things are vile. Besides, I have nothing resembling self control and generally smoke all mine before they have a chance to age.
    You may not like Acid - but it sure will prove my point about storing cigars together. Sometimes it's a good thing - other times it's bad.

If you do not have any patience - you gotta find a good source for properly stored aged cigars. Heck of a difference between a young and a more mature, aged cigar. I think you'll be shocked...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You may not like Acid - but it sure will prove my point about storing cigars together. Sometimes it's a good thing - other times it's bad.

If you do not have any patience - you gotta find a good source for properly stored aged cigars. Heck of a difference between a young and a more mature, aged cigar. I think you'll be shocked...
    Yeah, I been going to the same smoke shop, and some of the nicer cigars, the boxes stay the same... I figure they can age there till I go buy them
    Mark Twain

My general thinking has been that flavored cigars, such as Acids, will impart much more of their flavor and in faster time frame than anything else. While I think we can all agree there has to be at least a certain degree of transfer from one stick to another in the same humi over time. Whether it's enough to notice is another question. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference at the moment since I'm still a relatively new smoker. I have the rockets in a seperate humi and also have my treasures in a seperate humi from my everyday sticks.

Thread Information