Thread: Scary Movie Recommendations

Blog Entries

Default Scary Movie Recommendations

So, I normally don't like the whole "scary movie" genre, but this year, I wanted to try to find something. I just got my home theater hooked up at the beginning of the month, and I've been enjoying it. So last night, I went out and rented The Orphanage (El Orfanato), a Guillermo del Toro flick. I thoroughly enjoyed the Hellboys and Pan's Labyrinth, and I remember seeing previews for it and it looked pretty good. I'm not going to say it wasn't a good flick, but it didn't "scare" me. I can only think of two times in movies where I jolted out of my seat:
    1) when mark whalberg walks past the bedroom door in the beginning of The Sixth Sense (just caught me off-guard)
    2) The end of Phantasm II

Any help here? I'm not looking for gore - Boxing Helena, Devil's Rejects, etc. need not apply. I don't find that scary, I find that.......disgusting. Thanks in advance.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I love horror movies. I can't really remember being "scared" of any since I was kid; hiding behind the couch while my dad watched Nightmare on Elm Street.

But a few good horrors ones are Event Horizon, The Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(1979) and the newer version is good too, Day of the Dead, Rosemary's Baby, 28 Days Later, Re-Animator, Any of the Halloween flicks, Friday the Thirteenth(except for freddy vs jason), Dead Alive, Exorcism of Emily Rose, and The Omen is always great.

I know you don't want the gore but some of the ones above are pretty gory. And The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series are great and the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre made me jump a few times.

And for horror laughs: Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead (1 and 2), Army of Darkness and Bubba Ho-Tep.

These are just the ones that come to mind. I've seen so many B horror movies that are great but only if you don't mind seeing shadows of fake blood being squirt out of a tube. If you do check out Gore Gore girls, and Blood Thirsty Butchers.

Edit** Zombi 2, Motel Hell, Terror Train, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Eat Your Heart Out and The Dead Next Door(this one is so low budget that I laughed my ass off)
    Last edited by logan37; 10-31-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Zombie?????????????? coming from a rob fan from way back i love his flixs, i have to add one more maybe not scary but defiantly freaky El Topo

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    And for horror laughs: Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead (1 and 2), Army of Darkness and Bubba Ho-Tep.
    I just got done watching Evil Dead not 5 minutes ago. It's weird how it and Army of Darkness differ so much.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I just got done watching Evil Dead not 5 minutes ago. It's weird how it and Army of Darkness differ so much.
    But are still really great. I watched Army of Darkness last night

Default The Shining

man this movie gets me every time
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Default scary movies

when I think of horror movies that were scary, I automatically think of the exorcist, the evil dead, and one that is actually a comedy horror pic, and if you are afraid of clowns will really knock your socks off, is killer clowns from outer space.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredriko View Post
    when I think of horror movies that were scary, I automatically think of the exorcist, the evil dead, and one that is actually a comedy horror pic, and if you are afraid of clowns will really knock your socks off, is killer clowns from outer space.
    Thanks for the input. The Evil Dead - kind of campy, imho. And I am scared of clowns, as a matter of fact. The only childhood nightmare I still recall involved Ronald McDonald and the other McDonald's cast of zany characters. Fucking Mayor McCheese and those Fry Guys.

And welcome to the boards from central Oregon.

I DID however brainstorm a bit, and taking suggestions of my helpful BOTL's, have made a few selections. The first being Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I plan on watching later this evening. Many thanks again to all who provided input.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I highly recommend "Rec" (short for Record, or Recordar in Spanish I guess). It's a Spanish movie filmed in Barcelona, so you're gonna have to put up with subtitles. The movie is great, though...extremely creepy. I think there's a recent movie out (Quarantine IIRC) that was loosely based on Rec, but apparently it doesn't do ANY justice to Rec.

The movie that scared me the most was The Grudge. Not much of a plot, but creepy people doing that hitching movement. Not any gore that I can remember.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

Thread Information