Thread: Bought a new rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Bought a new rifle

A Russian M44 picked it up for 140 even after taxes. I was going to get a 91/30 for 150+tax/fees, but the loser at the pawn shop wouldnt sell it to me because I am under 21, even though in the good old state of Indiana you only have to be 18 to buy a rifle. so i went to a competing pawn shop and after filling out a firearm transfer form and a 5 minute waiting period, walked out with the m44.

Nice Mosin.

Blog Entries

What do you plan on doing with it?

I heard they don't shoot real straight, but my source was a little bit less than reliable. It looks really nice. Have you fired it yet?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

ill just be playing with it mostly, paper and bowling pins and such. Everyone who i have talked to has had very good things to say about them, especially considering the price. havent gotten to shoot it yet, still at my apartment at school. ill take it out probably first thing when i get home for christmas though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    ill just be playing with it mostly, paper and bowling pins and such. Everyone who i have talked to has had very good things to say about them, especially considering the price. havent gotten to shoot it yet, still at my apartment at school. ill take it out probably first thing when i get home for christmas though.
    I'm an avid shooter and would like to offer a few suggestions for safety. Before you shoot it: Obviously check the barrel for obstructions and run a wet patch through followed by a couple dry. Many older military style rifles have been sent through a Russian armourer and might have been rebarreled or otherwise repaired to bring them up to RFI (Ready For Issue) in case of WWIII. After you fire the first round, carefully examine the case for signs of high pressure or excess headspace. High pressure will be evident by difficult case extraction and/or an excessively flattened primer. Excessive headspace will be indicated by a light colored ring just above the base. This is where the case willl stretch or in a worst case even crack or separate.
    If you detect either of these condition the rifle is not fit to shoot and should be retired as a wall hanger.
    Be safe and have fun shooting.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 12-09-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries

thanks for the tips. This is my first surplus rifle, so I definitely would not have checked for either of those.

Thread Information