Thread: To: Southerners

Blog Entries

Default To: Southerners

You know who you are.

So, we are moving to Louisiana in the next few weeks. I haven't lived there since I picked up this hobby. I've been in the dry, arid central Oregon area, where humidity (and more important, warmer temperatures) are not an issue. I don't have to worry about it right now, because it's still pretty cool down there. I understand how to build a coolerdor (thanks, Dennis!), but now my concern shifts to how I'm going to keep that coolerdor cool? Do I put an ice pack in there? Would I be better of investing in a wine cooler and converting it? It easily gets to 100 degrees in the summers, all summer long.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I live in good old sunny Florida. I keep my coolidors in the house at room temprature. I've never had any problems with beetles or mold or much of anything for that matter. Just keep it in the house, and not the garage.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I keep mine in the the closet of a room on the north side of the house. The temp seems to be more stable that way. I do that just during the hotest of summer months.

You should have a problem. I have stayed away from the winedors for now due to excess humidity.

Rich

Funny you should mention that. I just recently went through a mass freezing of my entire cooler stock because of some beetles. I kept the thing in the coolest part of the house, but it still wasn't enough. I moved my nicer sticks and the ones I plan to store long term over to a wine cooler, but I still have half a cooler full of cigars. When summer hits again, I plan to implement the blue icepack technique to keep things cooler. Its worked for me in the past for controlling temp, but I've never had one directly with the cigars; but I'd rather have slight humidity swings than beetles again.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I live in good old sunny Florida. I keep my coolidors in the house at room temprature. I've never had any problems with beetles or mold or much of anything for that matter. Just keep it in the house, and not the garage.
    +1

We keep our house around 72 during the summer so it's not a problem for me.

Where in LA are you moving to?

From experience, I'd go with the cooler. I always see Vinotemps at Target, and alot of times on sale, so you should be able to find one if you dont' have one already
    Believe Dat!

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Where in LA are you moving to?

From experience, I'd go with the cooler. I always see Vinotemps at Target, and alot of times on sale, so you should be able to find one if you dont' have one already
    Texas here, no problems with heat. Ambient temperature is usually 70degrees, big cooler. Humidity stays around 60percent, I don't even know why I have beads. I only water them maybe once a year and my cigars are still smoking great. Love it.

Thread Information