Thread: Banning Flavored Cigars and Cigarillos

Default Banning Flavored Cigars and Cigarillos

I heard a very short news story the other day about the possible banning of ahat they called "Candy Flavored" cigars and cigarillos due to teh fact that they are intentionally and obviously marketed toward children!

Now I am not a big flavored cigar fan ( I will take a few puffs off of my wife's) but this is stupid. From what I have seen they are not using silly cartoon characters (ie. Joe Camel) or placing the ads on Nickelodeon or in schools, nor are they legally sold to minors so what is the big deal.

Anyone heard this story yet? Comments?
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    I heard a very short news story the other day about the possible banning of ahat they called "Candy Flavored" cigars and cigarillos due to teh fact that they are intentionally and obviously marketed toward children!

Now I am not a big flavored cigar fan ( I will take a few puffs off of my wife's) but this is stupid. From what I have seen they are not using silly cartoon characters (ie. Joe Camel) or placing the ads on Nickelodeon or in schools, nor are they legally sold to minors so what is the big deal.

Anyone heard this story yet? Comments?
    yeah, that's pretty damn stupid. maybe they should outlaw cordials, too. that sweet, flavored alcohol probably makes children want to drink

SFG75 Guest

Here's one article:

Candy-Flavored Cigars Worry Advocates

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Candy-flavored cigars have stirred trouble in Tallahassee convenience stores in recent months, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.
    As reported by Convenience Store News, candy-flavored cigarettes stirred controversy among anti-tobacco activists for allegedly marketing flavors to teens.

Now, it appears the flavor craze is affecting cigars. In Tallahassee, the flavors include cinnamon, strawberry, and "icy mint" blunts, available for $2 to $3 per pack.
    The American Legacy Foundation, an anti-smoking concern funded by the states' multibillion-dollar settlement with the tobacco industry, has registered its concerns.

"[Tobacco companies] say they don't market their products to kids, but why tempt them this way?" asked Amber Hardy Thornton, the foundation's executive vice president. "Whenever you add candy-type flavors to tobacco products, it is common sense that it will appeal to younger people."

All of the major tobacco companies maintain that their products are not marketed to teens.
    http://www.csnews.com/csn/search/art..._id=1000837243

To me, the last line is what is most important. Unless a document turns up stating otherwise, I think the tobacco companies should not be accused of this. At the same time, I wouldn't put it past them.

4. Default

I just read about this over at cigar pass. I think its stupid. if people just minded there own business I dont think this would have come up. just some bored poloticians is what I believe. and those damn activist groups. shit whats this world coming to, cant even enjoy a stick anymore. I hope the moontrance doesnt dissappear.

K&P
    Last edited by Korean&Proud; 06-17-2005 at 02:08 AM.

5. Default

I think we should ban Tobacco Nazis and Pleasure Police.

i thought the idea of cigarillos was to have a quick smoke, how stupid of me to think that, all this time i've been smoking childrens cigars, i feel like an ass

Anti-tobacco lobbies won't be happy until ALL tobacco products are banned. If they succeed in all their current battles, they'll simply up the bar and find new ones.

I think the key in ANY activity is moderation. I havn't found the need to smoke a pack of cigs. a day since high school. That was only because it was a cool and social thing to do. Since my early twenties I tapered all the way down to a pack a week and then smoked cigars instead. Over-indulgance is the trouble with just about anything.

Listen guys, we all know smoking is bad for you, we all know lots of fatty food is bad for you, we know a sedentary lifestyle is bad for you, we know too much sun is bad for you, we know speeding in a car is risky. You can't lock yourself in a room and spend every minute worrying. You have to live life and enjoy it a bit, regardless of consequences. You've only got one life, so live it.

I smoke a couple cigars a week, I have a couple drinks when it pleases me, I only exercise a couple times a week, I'm a little overweight and don't always eat right, I have stress because I have a real life and the real problems that go with it.

At the same time, I'm relatively happy, and that's what really counts in the end.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth

I think the key in ANY activity is moderation. I havn't found the need to smoke a pack of cigs. a day since high school. That was only because it was a cool and social thing to do. Since my early twenties I tapered all the way down to a pack a week and then smoked cigars instead. Over-indulgance is the trouble with just about anything.

Listen guys, we all know smoking is bad for you, we all know lots of fatty food is bad for you, we know a sedentary lifestyle is bad for you, we know too much sun is bad for you, we know speeding in a car is risky. You can't lock yourself in a room and spend every minute worrying. You have to live life and enjoy it a bit, regardless of consequences. You've only got one life, so live it.

I smoke a couple cigars a week, I have a couple drinks when it pleases me, I only exercise a couple times a week, I'm a little overweight and don't always eat right, I have stress because I have a real life and the real problems that go with it.
    Kenyth, you are making too much sense, you know darn well that no self-respecting politician or anti-tobacco crusader can understand that!.

I don't have stress from the real world-I go to the Himalayas and meditate...I'm as calm as a Hindu cow.

Thread Information