Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocky’s Corner (Walk-In Humidor)

Alright guys, here is the official thread for my walk-in humidor. I will continue to post pictures as I complete it.

Research and Planning

There are not a lot of resources on building a walk-in humidor in your house, so I spent hours hunting down websites. This is most of what I found:

http://www.lioncrest.com/cigar.resource/book20.html

http://www.padrinocigars.com/accesso...humidor-wi.htm

http://www.jcpendergast.com

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp

I am also building a wine cellar in the basement; fortunately for me, the construction principles are basically the same. Here is an article about wine cellars:

http://www.housingzone.com/topics/wi...win01dv001.asp

Concept & Design

I wanted to build a walk-in humidor in my basement. I knew exactly where I wanted it, in the corner next to the sunroom. The actual dimensions are 11’8” by 5’6”. I wanted to run shelves from the floor to the ceiling on the back and right walls. The highlight of the design to me is the floor, which is a geometric design based off the Cohiba cigar band.

Here is a picture of the original concept:

Here is the floor plan, showing the walk-in in the upper left corner next to the sunroom:

Added Protection Needed

Cigars must have constant humidity and temperature in the 67-75 degree range. Fluctuations in temp or humidity will split the cigar’s wrapper. The problem with putting the humidor where I did is that it is on an exterior wall, making it more susceptible to temperature changes. Being in the mild SC climate, I decided to move forward with some extra precautions.

First of all, I had to go overboard on the insulation. I built double framed walls with a 2 inch airlock in-between. After adding insulation and plastic, I was ready to add finish materials to the wall.

I had a specific idea in mind for the overall look. I used tongue and groove wainscoting made of pine on the bottom. Pine is a no-no in humidors because the increased humidity is torture to soft woods like Pine. However, I added 7 coats of marine stain and clear, so it should be very well protected. I got the idea for green board on the upper half of the walls from the various wine cellars I looked at. I did that purely for cost, as 4x8 sheets of spanish cedar cost about $250 apiece. The box hanging from the ceiling is for the AC ducting. I didn't want it to point downward because the direct air could ruin the cigars. By building the box, I can point the duct out away from the shelves.

The Floor

Here is a dry run of the tile on the floor. I went with the 5 white rows based on the newest Cohiba band (although I think this pic is of a very good fake):

You cannot imagine how hard it is to find yellow floor tile. I looked for months before finding it. I still have not laid the tile because I want to finish the shelves first. However, I couldn't wait to see what it would look like on the floor.
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:10 PM.

The Shelves
    Here is the basic layout for the shelves. Each unit is 36" wide by 64" tall.

I bought giant blocks of spanish cedar and have been ripping them on a table saw. Here is the bulk shelving unit on the back wall. It isn't permanently set in place; I just wanted to see what it would look like (again):

I will have more pictures to post very soon.
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:12 PM.

I finished all the framing and am finishing the drywall this week. I will be ready to start paint and shelves next weekend.

Pictures of the project before this week can be seen here:

Click here
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Here is an update:

The box hanging from the ceiling is for the air duct. It is a four inch duct that points out, instead of down. That way it wont hit any cigars directly, once the shelves are built.

It should be done in about three weeks.
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Here is an update on the walk-in humidor. I finished painting it tonight with the Cohiba yellow paint. It is still wet. Cohiba floor tiles are next. Then trim. Then shelves. Then cigars...

Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Here is the tile laid out in the cigar humidor. Tomorrow I will grout it.

Here are the hardwoods. Installed about 1000 square feet of hardwood. You can see the dual bar tops on each side of the coat closet. Those are for playing pool. Notice the billiard light under the tray ceiling for the pool table. The stairs to the upstairs are in the left corner.

Here is the view out of the french doors. We are going to install a screened porch to further enjoy the pond out back.

Here is a close up of the cedar planks behind the bar. I have a bunch of stuff piled back there while installing the hardwoods, so I can't give a full shot:

Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries

*jaw drops*

I am sooooo jealous right now.....

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Now that I had a chance to read through your post. This is awesome. Simply awesome. I am in the process of looking for a place in my house to do something similar. I've out grown the converted antiquearmor I've been using for the business stuff and instead of just buying another, this sounds like a great project. Thank you for the links and schematics.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

No problem. I can answermost questions, as I tend to research things ad nauseum. Also, I will keep updating as I go. Edited by: cockyhoskins

man, that is impressive. great projecct, especially the like the idea for the floor. keep the pics coming!

i checked out the pictures on your site. the tile looks great!

the blue font on the maroon background under the sports section really looks like crap. those are vibrating colors, its really annoying.

:hats off:! What an impressive job! Good luck to you!
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

I am profoundly jealous cocky!! Looks great......

Here is a picture of the bar prior to starting hardwoods. I still have to skin the bar with oak. I will put a copper roof on the canopy top.

The wine cellar is the small door on the right. The bathroom is in the back down the hall.
    Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesCigarQuest
    I am profoundly jealous cocky!! Looks great......
    Gracias! (message too short - increasing length to 10 characters)

Default Wow

looks great... you must have a ton of cigars !!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyJoe
    looks great... you must have a ton of cigars !!!
    Thanks. I don't have as many as I am going to when this thing is done.

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

realy nice, really nice. so how did it go so far?
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Furniture is in:

You can see the walk-in behind the couch there.

Last edited by cockyhoskins; 11-02-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Great job

I've thought about something similar in my basement but there are many reasons that I decided against it. The number one reason being the WORK that it takes to do a project like that. I just don't seem to have the motivation to do projects like that at home anymore

Good for you Cocky It's great to see someone actually DOING something that a lot of us talk about doing but like me, never do for one reason or another.

Please be sure to keep us updated as to how it works out and any modifications or changes you make along the way or once you get it up and running.

Thread Information