Thread: Thinking about trying a pipe out...

Default Thinking about trying a pipe out...

Hi,
    I'm considering trying out a pipe. At my friends house he had this bag of tobacco he mixed that smelled so good. Had a somewhat fruity smell to it. Can you all give me opinions on pipes?

thanks

I personally just picked up a wooden pipe from Wal-mart, works great. I've seen some nice pipes elsewhere, they seem to be pretty expensive if you want a nice wooden one.

oh, and my pipes name is sherlock

Do you enjoy smoking it?

I began smoking pipes many years ago and today I have two pipe cabinets with an extensive selection of almost every type of pipe. I enjoy them very much and find it very relaxing to smoke them. They are a whole different art form than cigar smoking so my advice to you is to learn a little about them to get the full enjoyment. Enjoy!

well i dont know anything about pipe tobacco, just the pipe part.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    well i dont know anything about pipe tobacco, just the pipe part.
    Hahaha....what types of pipe tobacco should I try mglantz?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigcs
    Hahaha....what types of pipe tobacco should I try mglantz?

There are dozens of types of pipe tobaccos available and, like cigars, some are stronger and more full-bodied than others. If you like smoking a pipe and continue to do so, you'll eventually determine what rocks your boat the most. However, to begin, I would recommend starting with a mild cavendish. Stay away from the flavored tobaccos for now until you come to appreciate a good straight tobacco. I personally don't like most of the packaged "shelf" brands and only buy them when nothing else is available. But if you visit a good tobacco shop, they will have a number of custom blends sitting in tobacco jars which you purchase by the ounce. Ask the tobacconist for a mild cavendish. Every tobacco shop who carries pipe tobacco has a mild cavendish blend. A dark cavendish will work well also.

If you don't already know how, ask him how to break your pipe in. If this is not done properly, your pipe will never deliver a good smoke and you will lose interest. Breaking a pipe in takes a little time so be patient. A heavier, wider bowl pipe will deliver a cooler smoke which many beginners appreciate. Buy a good briar. Some shops sell excellent seconds which do not affect the smoking qualities at all. This is a good way to smoke a normally expensive pipe at lower cost.

Be patient, follow the "rules" for break in, learn about pipes and tobaccos (very interesting stuff) and enjoy. You'll soon get hooked on another very relaxing and enjoyable activity.

KK..thanks for the advice. Our best local cigar shop is Davidus Cigars (www.daviduscigars.com) They have all sorts of jars of different tobacco and blends. As well as a freaking gigantic humidor room. (Frederick MD store)

Thread Information