Thread: Any Hockey fans?

A five minute walk from Cigars International.

Default Any Hockey fans?

Any hockey fans on the board? NHL's coming back next year and theyre gonna change everything. Talking about bigger nets, no red line, shootouts. The one thing they passed and are DEFINATELY changing is goalie equipment. Essentially they want smaller goalies so they can get more goals. I dont like it. I have some very valid, well thought out arguments but I'll wait to see if anybody cares about the subject before I start rambling...

Blog Entries

Sorry, I could give two shits about hockey.......

How many games were played in the NHL last season?

I thought so..........

Oh, does the University of South Carolina have a hockey team? If so, when hockey season comes around I'm sure they'll be plenty to talk about over at CockTalk
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

personally i don't like hockey

I like hockey although I never have time to follow it. I'd rather play it(no time for that either, hehe). I did post a thread here titled "old classics". It's a bunch of links to various hockey fights.

Why would they even talk about changing the rules? The big thing would be to just start playing again, and cap the player salaries I read some of the articles that were talking about goalie pad size restrictions. There never was any before, right? Not until recently.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

They want to change the rules because their ratings here in the US are so dismal. They're hoping if they can increase scoring more American fans will be drawn in. Unfortunatly, instead of increasing scoring chances, which create excitement, they just want to hammer on the goalies and still have boring dump and chase games with more goals on the few shots that do get on net. The stifling defence and holding/hooking is what prevents scoring chances. Very often fans and GMs talk about how the goalies of the 70s and 80s didnt look big in comparison to today, but they forget that the men under the pads are physically much bigger today, that yesterdays goalie equipment was woefully inadequate, and players armed with composite graphite sticks shoot at least 10-20 mph more than they used to. Unfortunatly, if the league could be stupid enough to shut down the game completely for a year, then they are obviously not concerned with preserving the integrity of the game.

Oh, and South Carolina doesn't have a hockey team, at least not D1. Maybe a club team or something.

It sounds just like putting the streak that follows the puck during hard shots idea. A bad one... hehe. Remember that? I think Fox TV did that, for the Americans I heard.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

LOL the glow puck. One of the other ideas that they were throwing about was trying to make a sleeker, more formfitting uniform. That's just whats gonna draw American fans in, a bunch of guys skating around in spandex

I have really missed hockey this season! I bought a wide screen HD TV last christmas and I was looking forward to a whole season of HD games. It is difficult to watch hockey on TV but the HD broadcasts on wide screen allow more of the ice to be seen. I think TV audiences will increase as more people have HD and wide screen TVs.

As far as rule changes I just wish they would enforce the hooking and holding rules and call penalty shots when they should. Bigger nets and no red line will ruin the game as far as I'm concerned.

Krautle87 you said you are a goalie? I used to play ice hockey when I was a kid (goalie also) and I currently play on an adult roller hockey league. I would be interested in your arguments against changing goalie gear and the size of the net.

That's just whats gonna draw American fans in, a bunch of guys skating around in spandex
    I'm with you on that!

Michael

Ok guys, now you have piqued my interest. Follow me if you will...

Offices of the National Hockey league

BOB: Hey guys how come nobody is watching the games on ESPN anymore?
    Joe: What games???
    BOB: Our hockey games!
    Joe: What's Hockey???
    Bob: The sport we work for you know the NHL National Hockey League.
    Joe: So that's what the letters NHL stand for.

Tom "The boss": Hey Joe do you have those new changes I asked you for?
    Joe: How about we get Quartebask and have them snap the puck.
    Tom: Are you KIDDING me???
    Joe: Actually... Yes I am. Really lets take all the things that make this game a game, and throw it all out the window so that we can cater to a few Corperate pigs affluent Americans.
    Tom: give me more.
    Joe: yeah who needs the real FANS, the guys that would go out onto a pond and FREEZE their backsides off to watch a game how it used to be played. Lets change it all and maybe we can get a few non-union scabs to come in and play the game. That way we can Fleece them and the ticket buying public.

I only wish these folks had a clue. The game is fine the way it is only if, like those who have posted before me said, They enforced the rules that are in place!
    Just give me the Hockey already. I've already suffered enough.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

Yarimurray, yes I am a goalie (and I wear pretty big gear) so my views may be slightly biased. However, it seems that the last few years goalies have taken alot of heat for the league's percieved(sp?) problems. It is often noted how goalies are cheating, cheating is rampant, ect. But goalies have not been cheating. They have been maximizing the potential of their equipment WITHIN the rules. I reluctantly agree that the pants and upperbody pads have gotten somewhat out of hand, and could be changed somewhat, certain aspects of the new leagues specs have addressed things that are and have been non-issues. For example. The thickness of the knee stacks has been reduced to 2 1/2 inches thick. The purpose of these stacks are to support the knee when dropping down into a butterfly. This eliminates the strain on ligaments in the knee and leg. 2 1/2 inches isn't really too unreasonable, but it was not an issue that needed to be addressed. These blocks sit behind the pad, and not ONCE have I seen a puck stopped by these knee stacks.

One of the most foolish things they are doing is reducing the width of the pads from 12" to 11". This will have literally no impact on modern style goaltenders and will just cost manufacturers thousands to make new dies and patterns, they will have to retool their systems. It will create issues for lower level teams and individual goalies when these rules trickel down.

As I said before, when they compare modern equipment to the smaller equipment of the past, they forget that players shoot much harder today, and that early goalie equipment was horribly underprotective.

As far as changing the size of the nets, that is completely disrespectful to the games heritage and will put an asterisk any records broken after the change over. Sidney Crosby, a prospect who is anticipated to be better than Gretzky himself, will not have the chance to break those records under the same circumstances and will lessen any accomplishments he can complete.

Lazy, I agree with you 100%, the league manangement is completely out of touch with the fans and they are worried about nothing but money. If the lockout didn't prove that (which it did) then these coming rule changes would.

Its not all bad news for hockey, especially for us Flyers fans. The Flyers AHL affiliate, the Phantoms, just won the Calder Cup. The ECHL affiliates, the Trenton Titans, won the Kelly Cup. I am happy to say that I attended the Cup-winning game for the Phantoms, and that the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia has a nice cigar store, Holt's Cigar Club. I bought a celebratory cigar for after the game, a Holt's Classic. A lil bland, not bad though, it was something like a Macanudo.

Thread Information