Thread: Getting ready for a server move!

Blog Entries

Default Getting ready for a server move!

I've finally gotten around to look for a better solution for hosting Cigarsmokers.com. In the next few days I'll have a VPS purchased and being setting up the new home for the site.

I'm going to be changing some DNS settings here in a few minutes. If you notice any weirdness, with the site, it’s my fault.

This move should hopefully speed things up tremendously.

I'll keep you guys up to date as to when the actual move will occur. I still have some logistics to work out. It's been a while since I've messed around with moving MySQL databases around. I'm a windows guy by trade.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I know I'm still a newbie here but if you need help or have a question on SQL databases let me know.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Blog Entries

It looks like its just as simple as using phpmyadmins export/import functionality. If I get stuck I'll let you know..

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    It looks like its just as simple as using phpmyadmins export/import functionality. If I get stuck I'll let you know..

That exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries

Does this mean that the evil urchin google-analytics script will be deleted? Blocking that thing is the major cause of why this site is slow for me ...
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I just ordered the server a few minutes ago. I purchased a windows server from them last week for caminoviejo.com. It took about a day to setup, and another day to configure correctly. Hopefully by mid week we should be in our new home.

Craig, that google analytics script basically gives me usasage stats on the site. Are you just having trouble loading the script? Or is what ever your using to block it not working right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I just ordered the server a few minutes ago. I purchased a windows server from them last week for caminoviejo.com. It took about a day to setup, and another day to configure correctly. Hopefully by mid week we should be in our new home.

Craig, that google analytics script basically gives me usasage stats on the site. Are you just having trouble loading the script? Or is what ever your using to block it not working right?
    As long as you're using the stats, s'okay with me. Elsewhere the script showed up immediately after the big purchase, so I was thinking that maybe the script might be a left-over of that period.

I hope you won't mind, but I have Google's sub-net blocked, as I just don't trust them.

Good luck with the transfer!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Nice. Good luck with the transfer Hex.

Thread Information