Thread: Rookie Mistake!

1. Default Rookie Mistake!

Crap, well I can just chalk it up to not be experienced and researching enough. Was gonna make a nice simple Coolidor to store some cigars. Thought I needed some cedar to make it look nice and help with humidity. Well, picked up some regular cedar. Then, for some reason, I remembered "Spanish Cedar" being the wood I needed. Well I now have a nice array of "Red Cedar". I'm guessin if I would have used this, my cigars would be wasted right? At least I caught it early. Only cost me $30 so no harm no foul I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
    Crap, well I can just chalk it up to not be experienced and researching enough. Was gonna make a nice simple Coolidor to store some cigars. Thought I needed some cedar to make it look nice and help with humidity. Well, picked up some regular cedar. Then, for some reason, I remembered "Spanish Cedar" being the wood I needed. Well I now have a nice array of "Red Cedar". I'm guessin if I would have used this, my cigars would be wasted right? At least I caught it early. Only cost me $30 so no harm no foul I guess.
    Nice catch. Your humi would have smelled like a hamster cage.

At least you caught it. Spanish cedar isn't really the same kind of wood but it smells the same so they call it "cedar". Red cedar probably wouldn't have initially done any damage to your cigars but its much oilier and I have heard that in humid conditions will sometimes ooze sap. If it was kiln dried then you probably would have been fine.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

To tell you the truth, you don't really need to line your coolidor with cedar.

If you have empty cigar boxes lying around, use those to store your cigars into and put the boxes in the coolidor. Coolidors maintain Humidity and Temp pretty nicely.

Add beads and an Oust Fan, and you are good to go.

Andrew

Blog Entries

Spanish cedar will ooze sap as well, assuming that the humidor is actually made of real woods (as opposed to MDF boxes that have a veneer of spanish cedar).

Edit: I have no separate cedar and no loose cigars in my cooler. (I keep loose cigars in the coolerdor inside old boxes)
    Last edited by craig; 01-14-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

One good thing, you can use the red cedar in your closet, moths aren't much of a problem these days, but I know my GF loves the smell of cedar in her closet
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

All the boxes I use for loose storage are rather old. Would using the empty boxes for sale be a bad idea? I assume those are much newer but haven't ever asked.

just get some trays 10 bucks at cheaphumidors.com

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    All the boxes I use for loose storage are rather old. Would using the empty boxes for sale be a bad idea? I assume those are much newer but haven't ever asked.
    You can probably get some boxes for free from your local B&M.

10. Default

Thanks for all the support guys! I was looking awfully close at my desktop humi and it was hard to tell that the wood in it was not really mahogany. I have read that the spanish cedar and mahogany are very close in appearance. Thought about getting some mahogany veneer and lining my cooler. Don't have a B&M close so I'll have to find some boxes some other way.

Blog Entries

Spanish cedar is indeed a relative of mahogany.

If you really feel you need something, go to Home Depot of Lowes, and ask for a sheet of "Luan", it's a plywood verneer with lower grade mahogany facings

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

12. Default

I know what your talking about when you say Luan. I worked for a lumber yard for around 5 years when I was in high school and college. I think most of the interior doors we sold were Mahogany or a luan. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for all the support guys! I was looking awfully close at my desktop humi and it was hard to tell that the wood in it was not really mahogany. I have read that the spanish cedar and mahogany are very close in appearance. Thought about getting some mahogany veneer and lining my cooler. Don't have a B&M close so I'll have to find some boxes some other way.
    PM me your address. I'll send you a few.

Blog Entries

One of the first mistakes I made was buying some red cedar closet organizer panels, then spent a couple hours cutting and fitting them into my first coolerdor

In fact, my second post here was about the suitability of red cedar.. after I did all the work!

LINKY

So, don't feel too bad

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

15. Default

I sit here laughing to my self. I was almost to cut some wood up when I thought to myself, man this stuff smells awfully strong. I did some searching, and well.... I found your post. But, it's all good! I can share my knowledge with another newbie now!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    One of the first mistakes I made was buying some red cedar closet organizer panels, then spent a couple hours cutting and fitting them into my first coolerdor

In fact, my second post here was about the suitability of red cedar.. after I did all the work!

LINKY

So, don't feel too bad

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    PM me your address. I'll send you a few.
    Thanks, but I don't want you to have to do that. I guess I'll have a reason to buy some more sticks now! I need boxes!

Thanks, but I don't want you to have to do that. I guess I'll have a reason to buy some more sticks now! I need boxes!
    It's no problem. I have a few new ones that are just sitting here. I don't need them nor do I collect them. I'm just going to toss them.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    You can probably get some boxes for free from your local B&M.
    I've yet to find one here that wasn't selling them. Unfortunately the uber restrictive smoking laws have pushed most of them out of business. I bought some spanish cedar to make my own trays. This way I can customize them too

Thread Information