Thread: Humidor & Hygrometer calibration problems.

1. Default Humidor & Hygrometer calibration problems.

I am fairly new to the world of cigar smoking, and just recently bought a humidor. I have followed all of the steps that were recommended on various websites, and still cannot get the humidity correct. I am using 2 "gel jars" for humidifiers in a 150 count humidor, along with the small one that came with the humidor. I have about 4 analog hygrometers, and one digital. After calibrating them all by using the salt method, and preparing my humidor as mentioned above, all 5 hygrometers were reading different levels, ranging from 50% to 85%. The digital one, which I believe is supposed to be the most accurate, read the lowest. (However, it also read 55% when using the salt test, with no means to calibrate) What could I be doing wrong? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Could it be the humidor, cheap hygrometers, or operator error!?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hays View Post
    I am fairly new to the world of cigar smoking, and just recently bought a humidor. I have followed all of the steps that were recommended on various websites, and still cannot get the humidity correct. I am using 2 "gel jars" for humidifiers in a 150 count humidor, along with the small one that came with the humidor. I have about 4 analog hygrometers, and one digital. After calibrating them all by using the salt method, and preparing my humidor as mentioned above, all 5 hygrometers were reading different levels, ranging from 50% to 85%. The digital one, which I believe is supposed to be the most accurate, read the lowest. (However, it also read 55% when using the salt test, with no means to calibrate) What could I be doing wrong? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Could it be the humidor, cheap hygrometers, or operator error!?
    So, the digital is off by -20 or so......if it is currently reading 50 %RH, it is actually 70%. IMHO, 5 hygros is way overkill and you're just setting yourself up for frustration. No need to make this hobby work or a source of stress.......I would use the digital and figure it is -20 and go from there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by ashauler; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: to add welcome

3. Default

Thanks. I re-calibrated one analog hygrometer, and I think everything is working ok. Thanks for the tip! Take care...

Thread Information