Thread: First time poster, noob smoker...a few questions and introduction.

1. Default First time poster, noob smoker...a few questions and introduction.

First off, nice community here. I am a 28 y/o Firefighter/paramedic originally from California, now living in NM for the last 3 years. My ol' lady (fiance) is a 21 y/o cop who also enjoys cigars.

I am relatively new to smoking cigars. Sure, Ive smoked them here and there when friends have offered them, but never really paid much interest in them. All I do know, is that I have had some I really liked, and a few that I didn't care much for. I got turned onto them this last Christmas when the ol' lady's uncle showed up and smoked all night. Eventually I got to talking to him and he offered me a cigar. No idea what it was, but I *really* liked it. It was a tad bit sweet. Not sure if it was full bodied or not, as I was a bit inebriated from all the beer and wine. I'll try to give him a ring and find out what exactly it was.

In the mean time, I googled 'the best cheap cigars' and read some reviews about some on the list. The first 5 were described as cigars for experienced smokers and I ended up going with the 1st one on the list, the Saint Luis Rey - Reserva Especial. I like it, but not quite what I am looking for.

What I am looking for now is something that smokes a little sweet, and perhaps a tad bit more mild. I'm not talking flavored, but rather natural sweetness from the tobacco. Any ideas? On a side note, I'll probably order a couple CAO flavored cigars for the ladies when I host poker games.

Now, here is the list of what I just ordered over the weekend after doing some research on here and google. Tell me what you think.

Ashton Prime Minister (Create-A-Sampler Item)

Ashton 8-9-8 (Create-A-Sampler Item)

Ashton Corona

Te Amo Toro (Create-A-Sampler Item)

Private Stock #2 (Create-A-Sampler Item)

Macanudo Hyde Park (Create-A-Sampler Item)

Flor De Oliva 7 X 50 (free with the order)

Welcome from Virginia!

Those smokes are a decent start. We can help to stear you in the right direction on best value and great cigars.

I for one am not too keen on the smokes you got, but I started out in the same general direction. Your taste will change and your pocket will get deeper and deeper .

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas.

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Welcome from Louisiana!

I started out pretty much the same way. I just bought a cigar and smoked it in the B&M, talked with guys here online, and generally made up my own mind as to what I like and what I don't like. Much like wine and beer, cigar smoking is objective.

I might suggest to you a maduro or a sun-grown cigar. They might offer more of that sweetness you are looking for, but are not flavored.

Padron makes a great series (known collectively as the thousand series - 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000) that gives a great taste at an affordable price. Rocky Patel also has a Sun Grown blend you might want to look into. Both of those would be considered medium to full bodied cigars by many sites, but you never know, they may be right down your alley.
    Don Thomas also makes a Sun Grown cigar that is mild and I enjoy it (when it's a bit warmer - like beer, I like lighter cigars when it's hotter outside - I'm a weirdo).

Hope that helps. Welcome again.

Where in CA did you live?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Just the other night I smoked a Sol Cubano maduro that I found to be quite enjoyable. I did notice a nice bit of sweetness in it, so you might want to give them a try. You can usually find them on cigarbid.com for around 1$ per stick.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Welcome from Louisiana!

Where in CA did you live?
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I was born and raised in the Ventura (oxnard shores area and then Camarillo) area before I moved up to San Luis Obispo for college.

Welcome from Virginia
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Welcome from NY.

Ashton's are a good place to start. Well, That's what I started on anyway. FYI, Ashton is actually considered a medium bodied cigar so if you like those, look for more in the medium range. Mild cigars are nice to have sometimes. IMO if you only smoke mild cigars you're going to get bored.

Mix it up. Maybe check out the Newbie Sampler thread in the exchange forums.

"IMO if you only smoke mild cigars you're going to get bored" I agree I was pretty much just smoking the Padrons & Macanudos. I like mild sticks but the more medium to medium strong sticks have really good flavors especially when you get past the first third of the stick. Hanging out at the local cigar shop and smelling all the different sticks really peaked my intrest. The more I have gotten to know the guys hangiing out at and working in the store the more often then not if I asked about a certain stick or for a recomendation they would say grab one try it if you don't like it you don't have to pay for it. The brands that were recomended that I really like are: Carlos Torano, La Flor, Nub & Camacho. As far as a milder "sweeter but not flavored" stick that I really enjoy is an Alec Bradley Sun Grown.

Blog Entries

Welcome from Ottawa, Canada!

I second - strongly - trying a Newbie sampler.

Some Maduro's are also nice, especially for that sweetness. In order of accessibility, I'd start with the Alec Bradley Trilogy Exotic Maduro, then move on to the CAO Brazilia, and then a Padron Maduro.

Then there are the higher-end Padron or Fuente Maduro's. However, the price may not yet be worth it.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

welcome from a fellow newb.

I am in your shoes, just started smoking more and making the transition from mild to medium bodied cigars.

my favorites so far have been the

CAO Cx2
    Padron Anniversario
    Padron Maduro
    R y J Vintage

Try a Padron Maduro for a decently priced higher quality stick.

I bought a box of Arturo Fuente Curly Heads (not curly head deluxe). I got them for about a buck a stick. They are pretty good and have a sweet taste and great flavor. They don't burn perfectly, but they burn just fine for a cheap daily. They draw really well.

Thread Information