Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server move for Cigarsmokers.com

Blog Entries

Default Server move for Cigarsmokers.com

The new server was setup last night and I began preparing things for the move. If everything continues to go smoothly I hope to have things transfered over tonight. The site will be down for a couple of hours during the time. I hope to get started sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 PM EST.

I'll let you guys know if this schedule changes.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Well, the server move is complete. We are in our new host. I was hoping to do a clean install of vBulletin and upgrade things, but I ran into some issues moving the database. I actually want to wait a couple of days to see if any issues crop up in the DB before upgrading vBulletin and doing a clean install.

It's probably going to take some time for the DNS to propagate. The old server is still in off mode, but I don't want to take off line completely until we are settled over here.

Let me know if you run into any problems or if things seem slower/faster then before.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Woo-hoo!

Seems good to me!

Thanks for all your efforts!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Woohoo!

Thanks for keeping this site up

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. The site seems a little faster to me. At least clicking around between forums and threads seems to be quick compared to the old site.

I noticed DNS propagation's taking longer then I thought, maybe I set the TTL too low? I reset it back to an hour to see if that helps. Ironically I still see the old site when VPN'ed in to the office.

The site is much quicker! Twas a lovely upgrade.
    Yay! Cigars!

Nice work Miguel. Seems to be a bit quicker. Thanks!

Definitely running quicker for me. Thanks for having us Hex.

PS, I noticed Puff.com forums are finally up and running. I don't see myself setting up an account there ever.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

Thanks Hex!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

How many of you guys are using www[dot]cigarsmoking[dot]info to access the site?

For those of you who no longer see the old site, I setup one of my domains for testing the other day and basically have it aliased as cigarsmokers.com. If for some reason DNS hasn't propagated yet, you can use that URL to access the site.

DNS is still pointing me to the old site at work. I still see some users pop in to the old site from time to time. The welcome page has instructions on how to get to the new server temporarily, hopefully they make sense.

Only managed to get through just now, but all good
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Blog Entries

Yeah, it looks like the DNS propagation can take up to 48 hours as some DNS servers cache the address and don't pay attention to the TTL value set by the root server of the domain. Sorry for the downtime, hopefully the benefits out weigh the trouble.

Blog Entries

I must have clicked on my CS link in favorites 10 times, I kept getting your DNS message. Finally, I clicked the "Cigar Community and Forum" right below the logo, and got right in. But I still got the message until I replaced my favorites link. weird

Seems to be moving along very nicely, Thanks M!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

The site seems to move quite a bit faster for me now!! Thanks for the work Hex.

Blog Entries

It looks like most of the DNS issues have been resolved. We may still have a few cached DNS entries pointing to the old server, but I haven't found any this afternoon.

I'm still planning on doing a clean install of the forum software at some point, but I'm going to hold off on that until next week. I don't want to keep you guys off the site anymore then I have too.

You probably know this already or didn't transfer it yet, but chat's not working. It opens a new page but it's just blank; the url is there but nothing else. Other then that, no problems that I can see. I didn't even have that DNS issue.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I know chat's broken. It's probably going to stay that way until I get a chance to update the server software next week.

The only other thing I noticed was that the blog links at the bottom of the page were not showing up. They mysteriously started showing back up this morning. I love problems that fix themselves.

18. Default

Thanks Miguel the site loads incredibly fast now. Before I would just give up after 3 minutes of nothing
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Maybe its just me, but are thumbnails in posts not working?
    I've looked through a couple threads now that had tumbnails before, and they're gone.

Maybe that's a setting on my computer.

Thanks,
    Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Please post links to the threads with examples.

Thread Information