Thread: Size = taste?

Default Size = taste?

This is going to sound like a stupid question...but I'm particular to Montecristo's.

Now, because I rarely get enough time alone to smoke a big stick, I tend to stock my humidor with Monte no.5's.

What I've been wondering is...are all Monte's the same regardless of size? ie: is it the same filler and wrapper? Is a Monte no. 5 the same smoke as a no.2 only shorter?

Similarly, in the Cohiba family....are all Siglo's basically the same cigar?

Thanks for your patience and I'm just happy I can't see your eyes rolling at me...hehehe.

FYI, just got back from Cuba....serious shortage of stock...was not able to get a box of my Monte's at the hotel neither at the airport. Had to settle for a 5 pack of Cohiba Siglo IV.

Blog Entries

You're asking one question but implying another.

Are they the same filler and wrapper? Short answer: nobody knows except the master blenders down in Cuba. (Well, obviously the wrapper is the same)

Do they smoke the same? I'd say no. Some brands change the blend between sizes to try and compensate; others do not. Just the fact that a #2 is a pyramid is going to change the way the cigar tastes. In Monte's, for example, I find a family resemblance between the #4 and the #2, but they're not the same experience.

In this week's www.StogieFresh.com podcast (Ep 152, Cubao), there's an of the effect of size, ring guage, etc. (in the general context of cigars, not Monte's). I don't always agree with Mr. Diaz, but his explanation this week is very good, IMHO. IIRC, the subject is towards the end of the podcast.

BTW, Ottawa as in Canada? If so, welcome neighbour! I live in Westboro. If you're going to stay a while, please post an introduction and fill out your profile so we can get to know you!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Agreed. Most lines have subtle differences in blend - between sizes. That goes directly to the masterblender...... what is he trying to achieve with each size/ shape? You will also get more complexity out of a larger ring gauge..... corona gorda vs corona. Small cigars burner hotter too - so it can easily effect the characteristics of the flavor/body of the cigar.... though you will get more wrapper flavor. I do not go to smaller rings often... but, IMO a corona is a great way to taste a new cigar / blend.

For me the #3,4,5 are all very similar, generally bigger gauge cigars will give a deeper, more complex, flavour so try the #2 or the Edmundo (petit if you need a quicker smoke).
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information