Thread: Dark or black flecks in humi gel

Default Dark or black flecks in humi gel

I'm letting some sticks age a bit and only open that humi every now and again to make sure the Rh is okay. I noticed dark flecks in it and wasn't sure if that meant mold or if it's just part of the make up of the gel. The jar is one from Cheap Humidors. The tubes of gel I got from ebay that were in the same humi do not have these flecks. Anyone ever seen this before?

The only thing I can think of is mildew. I had some black spots on my beads that I used for 1.5 years and I figured out I was wetting them too much. I also changed them out just for good measure. Hope this helps, good luck finding out what that stuff is.

I think I'm just going to toss the gel in question. I'm selling the humi and didn't want to be passing along mold. The cigars don't show any signs of mold but they're rather cheap yard gars so judging by taste is a bit of a moot point

Could be some sort of terrorist threat on the cigar population. I would contact Jack Bauer over at CTU and have him take a look to be safe.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Not sure about dark black. Many times bits of tobacco that fall to the bottom of your humidor will get stuck in these. Are you sure its not just that? I haven't heard of a crystal gel humidifier growing mildew ever and I sell quite a few.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

It's all throughout, not just on the top as if some stray leaves fell in. Every crystal had multiple spots. Regardless what it was, I don't need it and have tossed it. I'm keeping a close eye on the smokes in the humi it was in. Fortunately wasn't with anything special

Thread Information