Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to get a decent collection of tools! Advice for projects?

Default I'm starting to get a decent collection of tools! Advice for projects?

I got an air compressor this past XMas. With the economy down, the prices on tools at Harbor Freight have been almost a givaway! I've been buying tools like crazy (to my wife's disdain)! I built a small work bench/Pegboard. It turned out fairly well! I have a few jobs to do this spring. Put up a fence, put up a shed, and put up an outdoor doghouse/kennel. I plan to build a lot of the stuff I need to work myself. My next project is making some knockdown sawhorses. I plan on modifying them to accept some 2x4 stretchers to create a knockdown work support. I figure I can just cross a couple notched 2x4's to rip or crosscut sheets if I need to. Then, I'll use OSB hinged in the middle to create the top for a knockdown work table. I also need to create a saw guide for my circular saw. I'm thinking that since I'll be cutting a lot of 4x4 and 2x4 stock for my spring projects, a 10" miter saw might be a good investment. I know that a table saw is the first recommended tool for woodworking, because it can miter as well, but I'm guessing that's more for furniture making than mitering long utility stock for framing and fence making.

Anyway, my question for the fence is, do you recommend putting the 4x4 posts in concrete? It will be meant to hold in a sizable dog. IS it 1/2 bag per post? For the shed, should I just put down some 4x4's on the ground or dig in concrete footers for that as well? Levelling the thing will probably be a pain otherwise?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Consider using something like this instead of casting the posts right into the ground. This will keep them from rotting & allows for replacement later.

I'd cast footers, but I've been know to overkill every single project I undertake.

If you put the 4x4s right on the ground, make sure they're cedar, or pressure treated. However, ANY wood in direct contact with the ground WILL rot eventually.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I've put up several fences, and I sink the posts in concrete and use some simple aluminum roof flashing at the very top of the concrete to create an angle finish where the post goes into the concrete so any water will drain away from the post. Its very simple to do and the flashing is inexpensive. The concrete raises about 2-3 inces above ground level so basically all the post is in contact with is the concrete.

As far as the shed goes, the footer would be the best and will also help with any critters that want to make under your shed their new home.
    Last edited by ashauler; 01-30-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling

My advice.

Sell the tools. Just means more work for you.

Having been putting a addition onto my house I have most things. I've done excavating, pored the footing, block work, framing, duct work, plumping, eclectic, roofing, siding, tiling, wood floors, molding and almost anything.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Here's my table saw:

Powermatic 1792010K. 5hp, 10" with the 50" Accu-Fence system.

As far as a miter saw, I would highly recommend you spend the extra money on a SLIDING COMPOUND miter saw. You can do so much more with those than a cheapie chop saw. Here's mine:

I'd suggest this one, it's a little nicer and newer. It's 12" whereas mine is only 10"

Oh, another fantastic tool is an ORBITAL "sawzall" (reciprocating saw). I have an older Milwaukee regular Sawzall and I borrowed a friend's Porter Cable orbital reciprocating saw and WOW, what a difference! Here's the one you need. model 6536-21:

I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee brand power tools, it's pretty much the only brand I buy. My 3/8" drill, my 1/2" D-handle drill, my palm sander, rotary hammer drill, Sawzall are all Milwaukee brand tools. I will admit though that I have a Porter Cable power planer (door hanging kit), a Porter Cable 3/8" right angle drill, a Freud biscuit jointer, a Skil worm drive circular saw (model 77 I think?) and a Ryobi palm sander (which is a piece of $hit) and a couple of Craftsman sanders (which also suck). My cheapie router is a Porter Cable, it's "okay" it does the job.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 01-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Hey, Bill, why don't you post up a tutorial on how to make a cigar box lamp so Kenyth can break in his new tools?!
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Here's my table saw:

Powermatic 1792010K. 5hp, 10" with the 50" Accu-Fence system.

As far as a miter saw, I would highly recommend you spend the extra money on a SLIDING COMPOUND miter saw. You can do so much more with those than a cheapie chop saw. Here's mine:

I'd suggest this one, it's a little nicer and newer. It's 12" whereas mine is only 10"

Oh, another fantastic tool is an ORBITAL "sawzall" (reciprocating saw). I have an older Milwaukee regular Sawzall and I borrowed a friend's Porter Cable orbital reciprocating saw and WOW, what a difference! Here's the one you need. model 6536-21:

I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee brand power tools, it's pretty much the only brand I buy. My 3/8" drill, my 1/2" D-handle drill, my palm sander, rotary hammer drill, Sawzall are all Milwaukee brand tools. I will admit though that I have a Porter Cable power planer (door hanging kit), a Porter Cable 3/8" right angle drill, a Freud biscuit jointer, a Skil worm drive circular saw (model 77 I think?) and a Ryobi palm sander (which is a piece of $hit) and a couple of Craftsman sanders (which also suck). My cheapie router is a Porter Cable, it's "okay" it does the job.

My experience at this point amounts to a simple workbench and reading material, so excuse my ignorance in advance.

I must say, that is a sweet table saw! That baby probably cost's more by itself than my entire collection of cheapie tools! With a nice table saw like that, I assume you make furniture as well as utility woodwork?

As far as the sliding compound saw goes, I'm not sure what it could do. Couldn't you do anything it does with a table saw like that and a few jigs or sleds? I've only seen people use a miter saw to chop 2x4 or 4x4 stock. I'm guessing a 10 inch saw could chop up to 2x8 inch stock? Maybe the slide saw is easier to work with than a table saw for smaller stock? As much as I'd like a nice saw, I'm probably going to get a cheap ten inch miter. They are on sale for $69, so I don't mind if it doesn't last longer than this years projects. It will handle the 2x4 and 4x4 stock I'll be using, and I can always upgrade later if I get serious and garage sale the cheapie.

I've seen the orbital sawzall on DIY. Definitely a more aggressive tool! I believe they gauged it to cut approximately twice as fast.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I've put up several fences, and I sink the posts in concrete and use some simple aluminum roof flashing at the very top of the concrete to create an angle finish where the post goes into the concrete so any water will drain away from the post. Its very simple to do and the flashing is inexpensive. The concrete raises about 2-3 inces above ground level so basically all the post is in contact with is the concrete.

As far as the shed goes, the footer would be the best and will also help with any critters that want to make under your shed their new home.
    I might be screwing up my terminology here. By footer, does that mean a full concrete pad, or just posts in concrete or hardware embedded in concrete plugs at points where you attach the posts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I might be screwing up my terminology here. By footer, does that mean a full concrete pad, or just posts in concrete or hardware embedded in concrete plugs at points where you attach the posts?
    By footer I mean a strip of concrete where the 4 x 4 laying on the ground would go, like a house foundation, just not as robust. IMO, harder to do, but better result and you don't have the wood rot to worry about.

Blog Entries

my hubby's got more tools then I care to list. DO not buy craft man at homecrapo it may be cheaper but the tool is made differently. By craft man tools at sears. He has a lot of sanders, he even has a drywall sander. kitty I am trying to make you jealous.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

I got an air compressor this past XMas. With the economy down, the prices on tools at Harbor Freight have been almost a givaway! I've been buying tools like crazy (to my wife's disdain)! I built a small work bench/Pegboard. It turned out fairly well! I have a few jobs to do this spring. Put up a fence, put up a shed, and put up an outdoor doghouse/kennel. I plan to build a lot of the stuff I need to work myself. My next project is making some knockdown sawhorses. I plan on modifying them to accept some 2x4 stretchers to create a knockdown work support. I figure I can just cross a couple notched 2x4's to rip or crosscut sheets if I need to. Then, I'll use OSB hinged in the middle to create the top for a knockdown work table. I also need to create a saw guide for my circular saw. I'm thinking that since I'll be cutting a lot of 4x4 and 2x4 stock for my spring projects, a 10" miter saw might be a good investment. I know that a table saw is the first recommended tool for woodworking, because it can miter as well, but I'm guessing that's more for furniture making than mitering long utility stock for framing and fence making.

Anyway, my question for the fence is, do you recommend putting the 4x4 posts in concrete? It will be meant to hold in a sizable dog. IS it 1/2 bag per post? For the shed, should I just put down some 4x4's on the ground or dig in concrete footers for that as well? Levelling the thing will probably be a pain otherwise?
    Why don't you come to NY and help me renovate.

Blog Entries

Mine's from the 1950's and was my Dad's. Unfortunately, I inherited ZERO woodworking talent
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Mine's from the 1950's and was my Dad's. Unfortunately, I inherited ZERO woodworking talent
    Cherish it. I am aquiring a bunch of tools from my dad, that were his dad's Wood working is soothing. Even if it doesn't come out right. Worst case: Buy more wood and try again.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I've got the same problme - my dad has TWO shopsmiths, along with every other tool on the friggin planet. He's had to stop buying tools because he has them all already... But on the plus side, whenever I need to fix something (if I'm in CO...) I've got what I need!
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

My experience at this point amounts to a simple workbench and reading material, so excuse my ignorance in advance.

I must say, that is a sweet table saw! That baby probably cost's more by itself than my entire collection of cheapie tools! With a nice table saw like that, I assume you make furniture as well as utility woodwork?

As far as the sliding compound saw goes, I'm not sure what it could do. Couldn't you do anything it does with a table saw like that and a few jigs or sleds? I've only seen people use a miter saw to chop 2x4 or 4x4 stock. I'm guessing a 10 inch saw could chop up to 2x8 inch stock? Maybe the slide saw is easier to work with than a table saw for smaller stock? As much as I'd like a nice saw, I'm probably going to get a cheap ten inch miter. They are on sale for $69, so I don't mind if it doesn't last longer than this years projects. It will handle the 2x4 and 4x4 stock I'll be using, and I can always upgrade later if I get serious and garage sale the cheapie.

I've seen the orbital sawzall on DIY. Definitely a more aggressive tool! I believe they gauged it to cut approximately twice as fast.
    Actually Kenyth, an inexpensive chop saw will probably be fine. I have one and I do admit, it still does get quite a bit of use. My brother borrowed the compound miter saw and I haven't seen it since, LOL! He used it to do his deck and some finish trim work.

Yeah, the table saw gets used for darn near everything. I suppose it's a little over the top but I tell ya, a table saw is the heart of any woodworking shop. It's the first thing you need to get. We had an old Rockwell for years, it was way underpowered and was basically a piece of junk. Now I suppose you don't have to go crazy and get a Powermatic but don't go with the cheap Taiwan crap for a table saw. The Taiwan power tools definitely have their place in any shop and I have a few myself. For instance, I have a 3hp Taiwan shaper, a Taiwan drill press, and a Taiwan band saw. A shaper is just a motor on a stand so in my opinion, there's no need to spend the $$$ on a big name shaper. For what little I use a band saw, the Taiwan band saw fits my needs. A drill press is basically nothing but a motor as well and my Taiwan drill press works just fine.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 01-31-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Here's a picture of my shaper:

I made this built in chest of drawers and cabinet doors with it:

Here's another nice tool, a 12" planer/molder:

This is a 5hp model. I find it much more cost effective to buy my hardwood green from the mill and let it air dry and plane it with this. I also have shaper heads and have made my own "colonial" molding instead of spending a fortune on it at the hardware store.

Many people buy those portable 12" planers but I would suggest not wasting your money on those.

Here's my Craftsman 6" jointer:

It does the job (sort of...) but it's tough to set and the fence is a piece of junk. This is where you have to spend the extra $$$ on a name brand (like a Delta) rather than trying to go cheap with Sears (like I did....).
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Notice how a lot of the bigger tools are on wheels? The shop section of my garage is kinda "limited" if ya know what I mean. Most of the big stuff can be wheeled up against the wall when I'm not using it. The Powermatic is also on wheels and can be moved around as well.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Hey, Bill, why don't you post up a tutorial on how to make a cigar box lamp so Kenyth can break in his new tools?!
    1. Post over on CP that you're looking for some free cigar boxes and you'll send "demon sticks" in return then never send your end of the deal.

2. Once you've successfully scammed some cigar boxes from your BOTLs, buy some quartz movement in bulk here from KlockKit. The most you'll ever have to pay is about $3.00 each.

3. Drill a hole in the middle of your cigar box and install the movement. The self adhesive numbers are optional but they look tacky.

4. Start a thread on your favorite cigar site called "Cigar box clocks for sale, $40.00" and see what happens. On sites that protect scammers and thieves, you'll have no problem. You COULD try that here or on CP but you'd have your a$$ handed to you.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Lamp = clock?
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    1. Post over on CP that you're looking for some free cigar boxes and you'll send "demon sticks" in return then never send your end of the deal.

2. Once you've successfully scammed some cigar boxes from your BOTLs, buy some quartz movement in bulk here from KlockKit. The most you'll ever have to pay is about $3.00 each.

3. Drill a hole in the middle of your cigar box and install the movement. The self adhesive numbers are optional but they look tacky.

4. Start a thread on your favorite cigar site called "Cigar box clocks for sale, $40.00" and see what happens. On sites that protect scammers and thieves, you'll have no problem. You COULD try that here or on CP but you'd have your a$$ handed to you.
    How about you post some pictures up of that cigar box lamp of yours?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thread Information