Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to get a decent collection of tools! Advice for projects?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    How about you post some pictures up of that cigar box lamp of yours?
    Okay, you asked for it. LMFAO!

TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Here's a clock I spent MONTHS on:

TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Lamp = clock?
    LMAO! I gots to learned how to pays more better attencion to treads.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Come on now, let's see the back of that lamp. We gotta know how you did it!
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Come on now, let's see the back of that lamp. We gotta know how you did it!
    Ya know, I was going to include that before, I'm so glad you asked!

TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

Oh, another fantastic tool is an ORBITAL "sawzall" (reciprocating saw). I have an older Milwaukee regular Sawzall and I borrowed a friend's Porter Cable orbital reciprocating saw and WOW, what a difference! Here's the one you need. model 6536-21:

I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee brand power tools, it's pretty much the only brand I buy. My 3/8" drill, my 1/2" D-handle drill, my palm sander, rotary hammer drill, Sawzall are all Milwaukee brand tools. I will admit though that I have a Porter Cable power planer (door hanging kit), a Porter Cable 3/8" right angle drill, a Freud biscuit jointer, a Skil worm drive circular saw (model 77 I think?) and a Ryobi palm sander (which is a piece of $hit) and a couple of Craftsman sanders (which also suck). My cheapie router is a Porter Cable, it's "okay" it does the job.

Speaking of Milwaukee... Tossers at the Turner Ball Room on St. Patrick's Day! I'm going - are you????

Blog Entries

George you bastid. I don't think I can make it......

Kenyth, as I mentioned earlier, I have a cheap-a$$ed "Chicago Electric" (Harbor Freight's cheap-a$$ed line) chop saw that pretty much does the job. I think we only paid about $40.00 for it almost 20 years ago.

If you want to go the inexpensive route, here's a good deal for ya:

http://surpluscomputers.stores.yahoo...0mitersaw.html

Here's a picture:

It's only $80.00 + shipping. It looks like the head rotates so you can do compound angels which mine doesn't do. Heck, I just may toss my Chicago Electric hunk of junk and replace it with this!
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 02-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Beautiful
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Man, that's some funny shit.
    Every time I look at the "back" shot, I laugh my ass off.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

You know what's a lot cheaper than a wood fence if you put it in your self...invisible fence. So, if you only need the fence for the dog and not for privacy, invisible fences are great. The only tool you need is a shovel.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    You know what's a lot cheaper than a wood fence if you put it in your self...invisible fence. So, if you only need the fence for the dog and not for privacy, invisible fences are great. The only tool you need is a shovel.
    I've always wondered, what happens if the dog is chasing something across the yard? It gets up to speed, gets zapped by the fence as it goes through the "invisible fence" but doesn't have time to stop. Now your dog is stuck on the other side of the fence and can't come home because of the fence.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

... I saw that movie... doesn't the dogs head explode if it goes past the fence??

Great work on that clock, can you make one from a koheeebah Esplendeeetos box?
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I've always wondered, what happens if the dog is chasing something across the yard? It gets up to speed, gets zapped by the fence as it goes through the "invisible fence" but doesn't have time to stop. Now your dog is stuck on the other side of the fence and can't come home because of the fence.
    I had a giant schnauzer (85 pounds of muscle) and she would never break through the fence whilst chasing someone off the property. She only broke through the fence if we were on the other side and strangers (door-to-door salesman, mormons, jehovah's witnesses, just plain weirdos) approached us. Then she'd sit next to us growling and showing the teeth. We took the collar off for her on our way back home. Casey didn't like getting near the fence, if she was chasing something/someone, chasing them off the property was enough.

The best way to have fun with the invisible fence is to install part of the line indoors and then get gullible friends to walk over it while holding the collar.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Man Bill, you have the setup! From the looks of your clock and lamp, you do beautiful work!

Actually, I think my next purchase is a mini grinder/polisher to finish off the multi purpose work bench I made. It has a little rotary tool attachment that looks handy. I need a place to sharpen those lawn mower blades you know. I can then call that particular project finished.

By spring I should have the knockdown sawhorses, knockdown worktable, and saw guide finshed. Hopefully I'll have some storage shelving taken care of as well. Then I'll be ready for the chop saw and the spring/summer projects.

Though I don't NEED it, I'd really LIKE to get one of those little Makita, Rigid, Milwaukee, etc. 18 volt impact drivers. My friend has one and it works awesome! My drill bogs down on three inch screws, but those newer impact screwdrivers power them in and coutersink them. I have a screwdriver attachment for my air impact (I just turn down the power), but it's pretty clunky and the compressor is barely powerful enough to run it.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    By footer I mean a strip of concrete where the 4 x 4 laying on the ground would go, like a house foundation, just not as robust. IMO, harder to do, but better result and you don't have the wood rot to worry about.
    OK, that's what I thought. That's probably one of the best ideas, but I'd like to avoid concrete work considering I'll be mixing in 5 gallon buckets. I was thinking that I could do kind of the same thing by sinking some posts at the corners with concrete and starting the frame from those using some 2x6 stock as joists. I'm not sure what would be best and easiest.

Considering I'm going to be in 3/4 time college until Jan 2010, I may have to let this project slide until next spring. The only thing that absolutely has to go up this spring is a fence, kennel area, and dog house.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

When you get ready for the fence, price out metal posts. Well worth it IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bard View Post
    When you get ready for the fence, price out metal posts. Well worth it IMHO.

Yeah, those are the most resilient to the ravages of time and rot, but the subdivision by-laws frown on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    My dog used to chase the mailman and break through our invisible fence often, and you're correct once across (at least on our cheap-o model) she could not get back across.
    Mark 8:36

Well, the fence is finished. My hands still aren't right. By the time I was finished they had swelled up. The inflammation irritated the median nerve in my left hand (I'm left handed, so it gets the most work), giving me all kinds of pleasurable sensations. It's mostly subsided, but something to think about before the next project. I'm sure the small post hole digger casued most of the stress.
    Now my wife and I get to fight about the location of the dog kennel. I wanted it put in an unused corner of the back yard, close to the house. She wants it unseen from the front, and wants me to put it up behind the garage, directly on top of the landscaping I spent hours putting in a few years back. That area would also require removing or rerouting three sprinkler heads, the sandbox and the playhouse, not to mention the flower bed that contains nice muddy conditioned soil covered by fabric and trim, thorny rose bushes, and a half ton of river rock. You would think these facts would deter her, but since she's not the one who has to deal with it, she's unimpressed. My comment that she could get back to me after she finished the demolition and sprinkler rerouting doesn't appear to have gone over too well. So, now were at the understanding that I can put it where I want, but unless I put it behind the garage, she won't be happy about it.

Lord, give me strength!
    Last edited by Kenyth; 04-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thread Information