Thread: Disc Golf

Blog Entries

Default Disc Golf

Any of you guys play disc golf? I went out with a buddy of mine over Christmas break and have developed somewhat of an addiction. We are lucky here and have 2 full 24 basket courses which are free to the public.

I'm not exactly good.. well honestly I suck.. but something about getting outside and throwing discs around is a lot of fun. I've smoked a couple of cigars along the way, but we tend to go through the courses pretty fast, so its hard to smoke and keep up.
    Last edited by hex1848; 04-29-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

I haven't played disc golf, but I do love me some Ultimate Frisbee.

I've been wanting to. I had several friends back home that played. We've got 2 or 3 courses around here.

I am AWESOME at Ultimate Frisbee. First one picked everytime.

I think I got some pictures here of me playing in nothing but party shorts, a head band and mustache.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

I'm going down to Gainesville for a Yonder Mountain String Band show on Feb 12th, I have the 12th and 13th off. I think I'm actually going to do the Jacksonville Beach show on the 11th and then head to Gainesvillle on the morning of the 12th. I’m down to play one of the Gainesville courses If you want to give it a shot Chris. I have a couple of extra discs already…
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Frolf rocks! All we have here in NYC are unofficial courses in the city's parks where when it's crowded can be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Chicago is great, it's full of courses.

Just don't ever become that guy with the frolf bag. You really only need two discs, a driver and a putter/short range.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I haven't played since I moved here, but I used to play a lot in the US.
    I sucked at it, but it was really fun. There's nothing like a really good toss.
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

I try to make it out a couple of times a year. I used to play every other week when I was in college, but don't have as much time during the summer anymore.

There are two really good courses near me, one in a wooded area of a state park in Pennsylvania, another in a nice hilly area of Delaware. The course in pa is 27 holes and can be very frustrating because of all the trees. It requires lots of accuracy and patience. The delaware course is very open and great for airing it out and seeing how far you can throw. There are a couple of holes that begin at the top of large hills where you can throw three or four hundred feet if the wind is right . This one hole here (http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=DE&c=brandywine&h=11) is the closest I've ever had to a hole in one, missed it by about a foot.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I'm going down to Gainesville for a Yonder Mountain String Band show on Feb 12th, I have the 12th and 13th off. I think I'm actually going to do the Jacksonville Beach show on the 11th and then head to Gainesvillle on the morning of the 12th. I’m down to play one of the Gainesville courses If you want to give it a shot Chris. I have a couple of extra discs already…
    Sounds good. Just let me know!
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I love disc golf. Unfortunately lost my favorite disc in a lake last time I played. I've found cigarillos work well on the course. Have you figured out your throw yet? I tend to throw tomahawk (like a baseball throw) a lot, but its not very kind on my shoulder by the end. Check out www.pdga.com for decent course listings and reviews.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Blog Entries

I've never played on an official course...

Me and my brother used to play a LOT of freestyle when I was younger. I still have a couple old 165's around here... great disc!

One of my friends broke out a frisbee at work during lunch last week... I still have a few of the old skills
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information