Thread: Slumdog Millionaire

Blog Entries

Default Slumdog Millionaire

So, the wife scored some free tickets to the local independent film theater last night where they are doing a run of all movies up for major awards for whatever major award ceremony is coming up (would this be the Oscars, or Tonys, I don't know). I have already seen and done a review of "Benjamin Button". I hope to see "Milk" next. I have absolutely no desire to watch "The Wrestler".

Slumdog Millionaire takes place in India. A contestant on the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" has gotten to the final round of the game when he is arrested before he gets to that round and is accused of cheating. The police (and more specifically, the game show host) is having trouble believing that this contestant (a "slumdog" presumably because he has no social or economic status to speak of) is capable of answering the questions of escalating difficulty in the show.

This movie, which is kind of like an "Into the Wild" meets "The Kite Runner" sprinkled with some "Great Expectations" also makes it's case as it's own movie and storyline. I only bring up those comparisons as a frame of reference, the movies I thought of immediately after the credits finished. I'm still trying to figure out if the movie tried to portray the lack of opportunities for India's thriving population, or was simply trying to tell a story within the boundaries of realistic, cosmopolitan life in India. There is also an element of a love story within the plot line as well, although it's very tactfully done.

The movie was about 2 hours long. There are a few recognizable faces in the movie (Irrfan Khan, I know I've seen him in something else), but for the most part, it looks to be primarily a Bollywood cast. There are some funny parts and some rather brutal parts. I would watch this movie again, but probably not in the movie theater. I would not have minded paying to see this movie in the theater, however.

Overall, I give this picture a:

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

wow, great review! you may have just talked me into watching it.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Great review! I thought this was a great movie as well. It's a very moving picture but I tihnk the tug on your emotons is well balanced and the movie's ending was appropriate and rewarding.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Great review! I thought this was a great movie as well. It's a very moving picture but I tihnk the tug on your emotons is well balanced and the movie's ending was appropriate and rewarding.
    ********Possible Spoiler Alert****************************** ************************************************

Well put. I think I would have enjoyed the ending of the movie a bit more if, at the end of the credits rolling where everyone is dancing between the trains, the song ends, and the crowd disperses, Javed's goons come out and just spray everyone down with machine guns. But then again, I've got a really twisted idea of entertainment.

********End Possible Spoiler Alert******************

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

********************Spoiler Alert?********************

Or Salim returns as a Zombie and they break out into the Thriller video.

Smoke em' if you got em'

Thread Information