Thread: Solo celebratory cigar

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Default Solo celebratory cigar

Hey guys,

Doing some flight training in Colorado currently, and this morning I soloed my first powered aircraft. The weather was as perfect as it could get. I was able to get 7 solo landings in a half hour.

Soooo...

This afternoon a celebratory cigar is in order, any suggestions? Stag Tobacconist in C-Springs and Old West Cigar have great selections, thats where I will be searching for what you guys recommend.

Thanks for your input.

Blog Entries

Padron

Congrats on the solo
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Padron

Congrats on the solo

+1

What kind of plane were you flying?

Flying in Colorado, eh? I've been told the front range is one of the worst places to fly - congrats! Stag's is my local when I'm back home - all nice people there.
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Diamond DA-20C1

The front range is horrible for flying, I flew gliders for three years at the Air Force Academy and I have been out here for a few weeks. The weather is just unbelievable. Winds are the main thing that keep us from flying.

I think I am going to smoke a Padron '64 to start, keep the suggestions coming for my follow ups.

Nice flying skills! I'd recommend a Padron Anniversary as well.

Diamond Crown Maximus.

You should've had Dennis send you some of those Premium WO's!

You gotta watch the DA-20's in high crosswinds. I used to have a flight school at BJC and the one we had on the line was always getting one wing or the other scraped because of the long wingspan, usually from the guys transitioning from a high wing Cessna. One thing's for sure, tho. Learning to fly in the Springs will teach you how to nail the crosswind landings no matter what you're flying. And the high altitude experience is always good in a light plane. The first time you take off at sea level will be an awesome experience. It will seem the the plane will lift off in half the distance and the rate if climb will double.

Let me know if you ever get into BJC. There's a nice cigar lounge in Louisville, about 5 miles away. First smoke is on me.

Congrats!! You will never forget that day either. I can remember mine from 1975.
    Dan

I have never been up to BJC, but I did my practical prep and checkride for my PGL @ Boulder. The cliff at the end of the runway there makes things interesting. Flew out to Freemont two weeks ago. The runway on a mesa is interesting.

I am going to try to be in Denver tomorrow afternoon/evening, won't have a lot of time, but I would enjoy talking planes over a stick.

This is all pending me passing my checkride tomorrow morning....

Quote Originally Posted by BenjiM View Post
    I have never been up to BJC, but I did my practical prep and checkride for my PGL @ Boulder. The cliff at the end of the runway there makes things interesting. Flew out to Freemont two weeks ago. The runway on a mesa is interesting.

I am going to try to be in Denver tomorrow afternoon/evening, won't have a lot of time, but I would enjoy talking planes over a stick.

This is all pending me passing my checkride tomorrow morning....
    Tomorrow night is not good for me, but I can get together around noon or so. Leaving for Ireland on Thursday morning and I'm pre-bowling for the league I'm on in the evening. We're scheduled to be back on March 10th, so if we can't get together tomorrow we can do it when I get back. Haven't been hanger flying (or any other kind) in about 5 years.

Good luck on the check ride. I'll PM you my phone #.

Mark

I've got my own stash of WO's marinating just down the street on the corner. I'm just waiting for the price of gas to go down so I can afford them.

Shelby,
    Didn't get done till 2pm. Maybe next time.

Checkride passed, off to Denver to get dinner and smoke a cigar at Stanley Pappas.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjiM View Post
    Shelby,
    Didn't get done till 2pm. Maybe next time.
    No problem - Glad the check ride went well.

Blog Entries

Congrats on the checkride! How was the smoke? What'd you go with? How was Stanley Pappas? Did the lady leave you alone? She's really nice and I think they consider it to be good customer service to help you in the humidor, although it can be a little overbearing. But I still really enjoy smoking there.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Well the lady was not there this time. I smoked a RP decade toro. The tall black guy who I believe is "THE" Walter Davis was there. He left me alone entirely. I don't know how knowledgable he is but he cut and lit my stick just fine. It was pretty sick to sit there and listen to him talk about college basketball and Ali was pretty cool. The decade was pretty good. Checkride went fine.

Blog Entries

That is the Walter Davis and I am a huge North Carolina Basketball fan so I've chatted with him a lot about basketball. He seems to know enough about cigars but the lady knows a ton. Good choice on the smoke, that's one of my favorites.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Thread Information