Thread: Beginner Cigar Smoker

1. Default Beginner Cigar Smoker

Hello- i have recently become very "into" cigars and want to learn more about them or which types of cigars are good beginning ones to try... if you were to say phillies, carvin-vegas, or something like that- i've tried them all... i want to get into the more "sophisticated" types- what types would you suggest? (preferably not maduro or cigarillo) - thanks a ton

SFG75 Guest

Generally speaking, you want to move from mild to powerful. Macanudo, Montesino, and most naturals would be the way to go. CAO Gold is a good one to try out as well at your stage in the game. Fonseca and El Rey Del Mundo naturals(of any line really) are also good to try. Glad to have you here with us.

3. Default

hmm... i will be sure to try a couple of those out- thanks for you opinion

baccarat "the game" was a good cigar when i was starting out.

All good suggestions mentioned above. Ask your local tobacconist, if he/she is a good dealer and knows their stuff they will set you up with some good mild to medium bodied smokes.

Also try:

Indian Tabac
    Bahia Trinidad
    Saint Luis Rey

Unless you have already tried some maduros and did not care for them, do not automatically rule them out. I have had some that, while full of flavor, were not strong. If you decide to give some maduros a try I would sugest:

Punch Gran Puro
    Trilogy
    Carlos Torano Signature

Keep us informed of what you try and WELCOME to the forum.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Good thing you don't have a photo of yourself in your profile JASON, or he'd ask you out on a date.

(Warning spencer, JAEwing is a GUY too, just in case you missed my subtle hint)
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Welcome to the board! Good to have you along for the ride!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

8. Default Welcome

Nice crowd here .. you'll have fun & learn loads !

Sophie xx
    See all my smoking pictures and MPGs at

http://www.southern-charms4.com/sophie/photos.htm

Now that is really sophie in her avartar.

Yes, that is Sophie. Send her a pm. Maybe she would like to "chat" with you. Then again, she may like a little finesse and subtlety in which case your screwed. But, hey, good luck anyway!

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

SFG75 Guest

It is only due to Sophie that I can bear to see the ugly mugs of everyone here on a regular basis.

If you want to se what cigar smoking is really about right off the bat. Get a tin of the small Cohibas. Tasty!

Good idea for a beginner!
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

14. Default

Ok, i went cigar shoppin today and got

Peterson Gran Reserva

an LG Diez

Cao Mx2

and a Helix for kicks!

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spncr2006
    Ok, i went cigar shoppin today and got

Peterson Gran Reserva

an LG Diez

Cao Mx2

and a Helix for kicks!

Thoughts?
    Did they "Card" you? You're not even old enough to smoke.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

16. Default

yeah i am - i turned 18 about 1/2 a year ago

The Cao and Helix have at some point in my life been my every day smokes. Good buys there. as to the other ones I cannot speak to them but it looks like you are doin' this whole cigar thing right. keeps smoking new things regardless of what you find so that your humi can be full of a vast variety of cigars.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

18. Default

I tried the Helix at some party i went to and did not like it- it had good taste, but the draw was inconsistant... maybe it is just me- but i did not enjoy it!

It's sometimes good to give a brand another chance. It could of been a dud

20. Default

Personally I recommend the Montecristo #3....
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

Thread Information