Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Internet Provider

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I know I should probably use WPA2, but I can't get it to work with all OS's in the house. I wasn't aware that masking your SSID or MAC filtering were an ineffective security measure now.
    WPA is still good enough. The actual encryption key used constantly changes with WPA. That makes the actual cracking of the encryption almost impossible. Instead, they use brunt force type attacks to try and crack the passkey (think password). That's why making a good long complex random passkey is a good idea. Your router is the next place you should set access security. Use a good password for your router access. Turn off wireless access and public network access to the router control console. That way, you have to hook up to the router with a physical ethernet cable in order to access the controls. You can also set up the option for each connected wireless node to be segmented into it's own LAN. That way, if a wireless device does connect, it can't access other wireless devices on the network. If you need to have multiple PC's or wireless nodes on your network talk to each other (like a wireless printer), don't enable this option.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

It was either buy a modem for them and get suckered into a 2 year contract, or buy one yourself with no contract.

I hate contracts.

Any cheap places to buy a DSL modem?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Like Kenyth was saying, they normally won't troubleshoot on any device not pre-approved by them. If you really know what you are doing, and never need them, then you should be fine. But if you don't.....

I don't think, however, that they can monopolize connectivity to their services, so somewhere on their website, they should have a list, or be able to provide you with a list of approved services. Keep in mind, however, that should you move again, and need to go through all of this all over again, the modem you purchased for this ISP may not be compatible with the next.

Sucks, don't it?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    It was either buy a modem for them and get suckered into a 2 year contract, or buy one yourself with no contract.

I hate contracts.

Any cheap places to buy a DSL modem?
    www.buy.com

www.newegg.com
    Last edited by logan37; 03-06-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Default Another option

This was not an option for me becuase i live so far out in BFE that my choices were dialup or satellite. I ended up going with hughesnet satellite and have been pleased. It will cost you more than cable or DSL so if money is the primary issue then don't consider it. However, I must say that my plan is 1.2mbps down/ 200kbps up, and it seems incredibly fast. I never have to worry about peak usage times.....it works all the time. They provide you with a router and all the equipment to make it work. I have a network switch hooked up which allows me to connect as many computers to the router that i want (currently only two). Anyway, good luck. These days you gotta have good internet.

Default Update

I have now quit using Satellite internet. In the past few months it has really began to lag and it is my belief that they have not added or replaced any servers for some time. Some times it won't connect and other times it is as slow as dialup. Many others I have talked to had the same issues.

Now i have switched to Alltel wireless internet. This internet is faster than my Satellite was by about 2x and you get signal wherever you get a cellphone signal. Mine was not good in the house so i made sure to buy a wireless modem that had a port for an external antenna. I got on ebay and found a 40" roof mount antenna with extra cable. I get 80% signal and I am about 10 to 15 miles away from the nearest tower.

For those of you who have limited options then you should consider this. Also because it is USB plug and play, you can put it into the laptop and use it on the road as well. For many of you Alltel may not be the best provider so get on the net and look up the coverage areas. I know that Verizon and many other companys are also selling these.

The cell option is a good one for many people, but you do need to be aware that the "unlimited" plans with Sprint/Alltel/Verizon/AT&T are not unlimited. You get a 5GB limit on the high end plan, and less on the cheaper ones. Every now and then I hear about someone receiving a bill for hundreds or thousands of dollars for going over.

Also if you want to share it at home, there are routers that you can put the card into and then it is re-distributed by Wi-fi. We use the Kyocera on our boat and it works extremely well, cost about $150.

Thread Information