Thread: New smoker - Fake cohibas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default New smoker - Fake cohibas?

Hey Everyone, nice to meet you

I'm just learning about cigars, as i don't smoke, but im getting into it. Love to smell of fresh ciagrs and the rich flavour although i can only smoke about 1/4 of one before my mouth goes numb.

Would love a link to what i should be noticing while smoking. What makes a good one, ect.

Just got back from Cuba, bought some underground cigars, Monte Cristo's (actually legit cigars, store bought), romeo and juliets #2, and some Cohiba Eslendidos. Been reading about fakes cohiba's. the box i bought came with the stickers and such in the box. The labels and such all seem to pass. (was told they were back door factory, i was close to the factory, so maybe)

Any way i decided to dissect one as that seems to be the only way to tell. Here are the pics.

Fake's or the real deal. and would love a beginners guide.

- Brain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0408.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0415.jpg 
Views:	1338 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	963  

Look fake to me based on the overall quality of the packaging and the actual cigars...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the brain View Post
    Hey Everyone, nice to meet you

I'm just learning about cigars, as i don't smoke, but im getting into it. Love to smell of fresh ciagrs and the rich flavour although i can only smoke about 1/4 of one before my mouth goes numb.

Would love a link to what i should be noticing while smoking. What makes a good one, ect.

Just got back from Cuba, bought some underground cigars, Monte Cristo's (actually legit cigars, store bought), romeo and juliets #2, and some Cohiba Eslendidos. Been reading about fakes cohiba's. the box i bought came with the stickers and such in the box. The labels and such all seem to pass. (was told they were back door factory, i was close to the factory, so maybe)

Any way i decided to dissect one as that seems to be the only way to tell. Here are the pics.

Fake's or the real deal. and would love a beginners guide.

- Brain
    Sorry, obvious fakes. In a real box, the cigars would all be, as much as possible, the same colour in each row (and the same size). Stickers in the box and not properly applied is also a dead giveaway, as is the poor condition of the leaf in the dissected cigar. Check out http://www.vitolas.net/ for basic fake-finding info.

Welcome to CigarSmokers!
    Last edited by craig; 03-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

The label inside the box lid is a dead giveaway... looks like it was cut out with safety scissors.

Also, the bands are placed way too far from the head of the cigars.

There sure have been a lot of fake Esplendidos going around lately.. sorry you had to end up with one.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

5. Default that sucks

Well luckly i've learned a thing or two, hopefully their still ok to smoke, as i said, i dont know much about cigars, but at least i have real Monte Cristo's.

Read a cool story about the whole fake Cuban cigar trade
    http://www.elbuenhabano.com/habano/n...nglish&puroid=

Anyone have anymore links where i can learn about how to distuingish about flavour and all the different knowledge about cigar tasting. eg. like "how to taste wine"

Blog Entries

Live and Learn

At least, since you purchased them in Cuba, they're likely made of Cuban tobaccos... So they're not technically fake Cubans.. just fake COHIBAS!

I say smoke them, if you enjoy them, then it's not a total loss. Just please be sure not to distribute or trade them in any way except to that A-hole neighbor or father-in-law.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

7. Default

hahaha well said sir

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Live and Learn

At least, since you purchased them in Cuba, they're likely made of Cuban tobaccos... So they're not technically fake Cubans.. just fake COHIBAS!

I say smoke them, if you enjoy them, then it's not a total loss. Just please be sure not to distribute or trade them in any way except to that A-hole neighbor or father-in-law.

I'm with this guy!

Thread Information