Thread: Trinidad Reyes

Default Trinidad Reyes

Partida: Unknown (2007 I presume)
    Vitola: Reyes
    Humidor: 65%
    Cepo: 40
    Length: 110

Where: Office, closed doors and windows

Drink: Colombian coffee. I like to drink my coffee very slow, while smoking, so my coffee gets cold. What i do is to warm the cup and plate in the microwave.
    If someone knows of a gadget that will help me keeping my (little) cup warm i would really appreciate

Pre:
    Last Trinidad of a bof of five. Extremly hard to touch, tense. Good conserved, oily and bright surface.
    If i tried to name the smell, it would be: Velvety
    I usually use a double flame lighter, but for this kind of cigar i go for a BIC. In this particular case i anyway used my double flame, hadn't otherwise at hand.

First third:
    Horrible. If i don't know this cigar, i would dropped it right away. Hard to almost un-smokeable.
    In this cases i have two approaches: (here my english is falling for me, so please forgive my lack of cigar vocabulary) I wet the pommel with saliva, wait 30 seconds and then do a strong pressure with my fingers in the pommel of the cigar, maybe rolling a little. saliva avoids the leaf to break.
    There as another solution i like more. Let it die, but taking care it doesn't get too cold. It's not the more refined solution, and if you miss to relit before it gets cold the cigar is ruined. But work on so many cases.

Second third:
    It's getting better. Sincerely im insisting with this cigar because i really love Trinidad cigars, specially the Reyes in the morning with a cup off ver good coffee. Less tight. Floral and peppery notes. Fresh tobacco, young (that0s why i believe it's a fresh partida)

Last third:
    Spicy. Annd if i had to define "spicy" it would be a mix of Pepper and Curry.
    The last third is getting really good, being a very young cigar it's showing it wouldd be an excellent smoke with some aging.
    Good draw
    Dark gray hard ash

Last third:
    If the first third would be better, this cigar would have made an 8 out of 10.
    This format is the best for the morning smoke, but NO if i must fight it. In the morning i prefer a young cigar, that wouldn't attract my senses so much and to be smokable in 30 minutes or so (i got 30 minutes fighting and another 30 smoking with this one!)

If i had to mark it, it would be 3 out off 10. Will try another box and see what happens.

By the way, i would really appreciate corrections to my vocabulary. How do you name the "perilla" (i said pommel) of the cigar, etc

Thanks

If someone knows of a gadget that will help me keeping my (little) cup warm i would really appreciate

This type hooks right into the USB port

First third:
    Horrible. If i don't know this cigar, i would dropped it right away. Hard to almost un-smokeable.
    In this cases i have two approaches: (here my english is falling for me, so please forgive my lack of cigar vocabulary) I wet the pommel with saliva, wait 30 seconds and then do a strong pressure with my fingers in the pommel of the cigar, maybe rolling a little. saliva avoids the leaf to break.
    There as another solution i like more. Let it die, but taking care it doesn't get too cold. It's not the more refined solution, and if you miss to relit before it gets cold the cigar is ruined. But work on so many cases.
    I think what you were looking for was the "foot" of the cigar (perilla/pommel)

Your English is actually very good. With just a few minor changes and it will be just a bit easier to read. Hopefully, this will help...

Horrible. If I didn't (or did not) know this cigar, i would have dropped it right away. The draw was hard (or difficult) to almost un-smokeable.

In this case, i have two approaches:

1. I wet the foot with saliva, wait 30 seconds and then press the foot firmly with my fingers. The saliva on the foot prevents the leaf from breaking (or cracking).

2. Let it die, but take care it doesn't get too cold before relighting. If you do not relight before it gets cold, the cigar will be ruined. For me it's not the more refined solution, but it works in so many cases. I prefer this solution over the first.

Sorry you had such issues with the Trinidad - this has always been the more consistent of Cuban cigars. - and always an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.

Perhaps it was the year of manufacture - I know there were some construction issues with some of the early 2000 (2001-2003 range) Trini's.

Great review!!!

Thanks for the corrections and for the cup warmer, will try that one

Thread Information