Thread: Dry Boxing?

Question Dry Boxing?

I've seen a few people on here talking about dry boxing cigars before smoking them, but couldn't find a good explanation on what to do, how long, ect. Anyone feel up to writing a guide or pointin g me to one I may have missed in my search?
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Take cigars you want to smoke out of your humi the night before and place in an extra cigar box outside the humi. Depends on how humid you keep your humidor whether you need to do this, also depends on the cigar. Some you'll discover need it, others won't.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Over time and many cigars you will kind of "just know" how much dry box time is needed frmo storage RH to smoking RH...

Well that was a good concise answer. What's the deal with it though? I thought the idea of a humidor was too keep them in good condition for smoking?
    Mark Twain

too humid=burn problems and can effect flavor
    too dry=easy burn but loss of most, if not all flavor

IOW, you want a cigar to be moist, but not too moist.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Optimum RH for long term storage is different from that of the "smoking" rh. There is some debate on which way it differs. Some people keep the Rh around 70% for long term storage, and around 60% for smoking. Others do it the other way. I personally prefer lower Rh for smoking.

I've noticed this with a some of my sticks as well. I keep my humi between 70-73% and with some I notice some restriction to the draw, (I've always chalked it up to how the cigar deals with certain levels of humidity). I also have a small desk-top humidor that I do not maintian the the RH in, that hovers around 60% on its own. Typically at the beginning of the week, I'll pull out a few cigars and place in there. Then when I smoke them throughout the week they smoke much better, (smoother draw). I have not noticed any loss of flavor but I would imagine they would lose some if they were allowed to remain in that environment for an extended period of time.

Blog Entries

I recently moved from one of the driest places in the country to arguably one of the most humid. I've just started noticing my cigars smoking a bit differently, so I need to put them in the dry box for an extra day or so. I smoke infrequently enough to where if I know I'm going to smoke on a Sunday afternoon, I'll put it in the drybox probably Friday morning, but definitely no later than Friday evening.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I'll agree with some of the guys on here and say it's all about how the cigar smokes. I am also from central ohio, and i generally dry box my cigars in the summer since it gets really humid (especially when your house is a crap campus deal with poor insulation) but in the winter it tends to be drier and i smoke them as is. Where in central OH are you?
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I recently moved from one of the driest places in the country to arguably one of the most humid. I've just started noticing my cigars smoking a bit differently, so I need to put them in the dry box for an extra day or so. I smoke infrequently enough to where if I know I'm going to smoke on a Sunday afternoon, I'll put it in the drybox probably Friday morning, but definitely no later than Friday evening.
    Are you saying Louisiana is humid?!

I keep my humidors and coolidors around 65%. I smoke them right out of the humidors.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Optimum RH for long term storage is different from that of the "smoking" rh. There is some debate on which way it differs. Some people keep the Rh around 70% for long term storage, and around 60% for smoking. Others do it the other way. I personally prefer lower Rh for smoking.
    I can attest to pulling them out of a 70% humidor and smoking them will bust a few wrappers. My long term coolerdor has 65% beads and I can smoke them without tempering. I usually pull 5 or so out and put them in a small table top humi without beads. They are good for a week or so as I smoke them.
    I'm looking at dropping to 65% beads in my humidor too. I'm not finding a valid reason for keeping them at 70%.

Where in central OH are you?
    Up around Coshocton, would you happen to know of a good B&M in the area? All the ones I've found so far have a really small selection, and I'm not allowed to order online.

I'm looking at dropping to 65% beads in my humidor too. I'm not finding a valid reason for keeping them at 70%.
    I've just been doing the by guess and by golly method with my one little humidor, jsut adding distilled water to the puck when it feel light, my cigars seem in good condition, though I should prolly break down and get a good hygro.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanicfish View Post
    I've just been doing the by guess and by golly method with my one little humidor, jsut adding distilled water to the puck when it feel light, my cigars seem in good condition, though I should prolly break down and get a good hygro.
    If you're just maintaining a small desktop, you could also opt for beads at your desired RH and forget about the hygro, imho.

If you're just maintaining a small desktop, you could also opt for beads at your desired RH and forget about the hygro, imho.
    Sounds like a damn fine plan to me.
    Mark Twain

I also believe that cigars age best at 70 but smoke best lower. But I'm generally too lazy to drybox my cigars.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Thread Information