Thread: Another new join ....

Default Another new join ....

Hey folks,

Been a bit of a lurker but I figured it was time to make an account and join, so here I am.

My name is Kris and I've just gotten into cigar smoking over the past year. I started with CAO's and RP's, and I really like the RP's (you'll see below).

I've got 3 humidors right now (a 100, a 50, and a 20) and I've already bought another 100 count. I've found that I need more room and the temperature changes in the larger boxes aren't as crazy as they are in the smaller ones.

Cigars currently in my humidors ......

Camacho San Luis Y Martinez (they were a little dry even though they were tubed)
    Rocky Patel Decade
    Rocky Patel Fusions
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990's
    Davidoff Robusto's
    Partagas Series No. 4
    5 Vegas Series "A"
    Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios

I've got more coming which is why I had to get another humidor, and I'm going to use the 50 count as my re-humidification box since most of what I get is via mail order and the 2 to 3 weeks it takes to get to Iraq has a tendancy to dry them out a bit.

I'm really looking into a coolidor, but I'm also trying to find a way to help keep the temps in it down as there is a lot of heat here in the summer and zero humidity. I was thinking of getting the peltier device from an old wine cooler since it's electronic and getting a Cigar Oasis for humidifying it.

Kris

Welcome to the Forum.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Welcome sir, and thank you for your service!
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Welcome from N. Virginia
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

welcome from central ohio!
    Mark 8:36

Welcome from Minnesota.

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO, I like the Decades myself!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Welcome from Laughlin AFB. I can't believe you get cigars mail ordered to Iraq. Thats pretty cool. Can't imagine trying to keep the temp down. Sounds like you need a little AC....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post

I've got 3 humidors right now (a 100, a 50, and a 20) and I've already bought another 100 count. I've found that I need more room and the temperature changes in the larger boxes aren't as crazy as they are in the smaller ones.

I'm really looking into a coolidor, but I'm also trying to find a way to help keep the temps in it down as there is a lot of heat here in the summer and zero humidity. I was thinking of getting the peltier device from an old wine cooler since it's electronic and getting a Cigar Oasis for humidifying it.
    Welcome from Louisiana. And thank you for your service, sir.

Should you get the chance, do some searching on the boards about building a wine-a-dor for your cigars. It may not work out how you are hoping. But it might. I am going to be enduring my first summer this year in Louisiana heat and I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to keep my humidor cool enough. I might just keep them in my office, though.

Should you get a chance, contact me via PM.

Welcome again to the boards.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Welcome to CigarSmokers from Ottawa, Canada!

I'm planning on doing something similar to what you are - got almost all the bits, just don't have a need to do it quite yet. I will post pics/instructions once it gets warm (20F here right now).

In your case, it might be easier just to get a 12v cooler with a Peltier and fans and stuff already, like a Coleman Powerchill or Koolatron or Mobicool, and wire in a thermostat for a motorhome or electronics (because they run on 12v) and plug the whole thing into a 12v power supply.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Thanks for your service and welcome from the tip of MS.

Unfortunately everything here needs to be either dual voltage or 220, so I'm looking at getting a small Euro-fridge through our local sources and removing the peltier from it to use in a cool-a-dor. Then all I need is some cedar and Velcro and I can line the insides of the cooler.

For monitoring temps and RH, I've been thinking about getting an extra digital gauge from CI or JR Cigars, and with some help from Radio Shack, move the gauges inside while the LCD remains outside and monitor it externally. I'd hate to destroy a $20 gauge since it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get stuff here, but they didn't make the receipt for Coke in one day either.

And thanks to all of you with the kind words. I miss my brothers in the Marine Corps since I'm stuck on an Army base (I'm a contractor now after 6 years of active duty) but I've found that cigar smoking to be very relaxing, and its nice being able to share one or three with the soldier out here.

I'll post some pics up once I resize them. Trying to upload photos from a 7.1 MP camera on a connection the speed of dial up is a bit of a nightmare.

Kris

Semper Fi, welcome.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Outstanding!!! Semper Fi.

-K

Thread Information