Thread: In need of some cedar for a coolidor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In need of some cedar for a coolidor

Hey folks,

I need to know where I can get some cedar for the coolidor I'm building. I took apart my digital temp/RH meter and it looks like I'll be able to do what I need with it.

Thanks.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Hey folks,

I need to know where I can get some cedar for the coolidor I'm building. I took apart my digital temp/RH meter and it looks like I'll be able to do what I need with it.

Thanks.

Kris
    You really don't need it. It looks nice, but beads or even glycol solution fulfill the function of the cedar. Boxes themselves usually have plenty.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf View Post
    You really don't need it. It looks nice, but beads or even glycol solution fulfill the function of the cedar. Boxes themselves usually have plenty.
    Yep, right on the money. If you add some trays for singles, or tear apart a couple of boxes to use the lid and bottom as trays (which is what I do) you will have all the wood you need to help regulate your humidity.

IMHO, as a result of a ton of anecdotal evidence, wood is integral for aging to maximum potential. This is why cigars from a cabinet always age better than cigars from a cooler. I've tested this myself many times.

At the least I would get some cedar veneer and go to town. Internetlumber.com carries it.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Woodcraft.com
    Rockler.com

I got cedar from both stores for my trays.

Quote Originally Posted by pmp View Post
    IMHO, as a result of a ton of anecdotal evidence, wood is integral for aging to maximum potential. This is why cigars from a cabinet always age better than cigars from a cooler. I've tested this myself many times.

At the least I would get some cedar veneer and go to town. Internetlumber.com carries it.
    I'm gonna throw the bullshit flag on this one. Show me some of this anecdotal evidence, please.
    Last edited by Roham; 03-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf View Post
    I'm gonna throw the bullshit flag on this one. Show me some of this anecdotal evidence, please.

I think it may help with retaining moisture so when you open and close your humidor/coolidor the wood let's out the moisture to stabilize the humidity much faster then with out it present... Just a thought....

Oh, and btw Smurf, I accidentally hit "edit" instead of quote on your post so that's why it says I "edited" your post
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

cedar veneer? Nah... I agree that it may help with the aging process but slowly accumulating cedar inserts from boxes etc should be enough. In fact I have a bunch of left overs.... I'll send 'em for free if ya need 'em... PM me your addy....

Roham
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thread Information