Thread: Weird # on my cell

Default Weird # on my cell

This morning I got a call from this weird number on my cell phone: 305-371-7266. I tried calling it back and got nothing, so then I got on Google and looked into it, and it pulled up all kinds of stuff. Whatever it is, it seems to be a scam, but one thing I read that worried me is that if these people call they already have info like credit cards, etc. on you. Has anyone else seen this number, or anything similar?
    End of line.

2. Default

It sounds like most of the numbers called are in TX. Could be a demon dialer.

What is a demon dialer? How would I end up on it?
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    What is a demon dialer? How would I end up on it?
    I think it is just a random number generator type thing that just calls numbers. It is what some companies use for telemarketing. That's why sometimes there is a delay when you pick up. The computer calls numbers and if there is no answer, no human intervention is required. When someone picks up, it automatically connects you with the telemarketer.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring
    I think it is just a random number generator type thing that just calls numbers. It is what some companies use for telemarketing. That's why sometimes there is a delay when you pick up. The computer calls numbers and if there is no answer, no human intervention is required. When someone picks up, it automatically connects you with the telemarketer.
    Drew, you are referring to a "predictive dialer" which may have been the origin of this call. A demon dialer is unique in that it repeatedly dials the same number over and over. Kind of a phone denial of service attack. Demon dialers have been known to break into voice-mail systems etc.
    Last edited by slcraiders; 02-01-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders
    Drew, you are referring to a "predictive dialer" which may have been the origin of this call. A demon dialer is unique in that repeatedly dials the name number over and over. Kind of a phone denial of service attack. Demon dialers have been known to break into voice-mail systems etc.
    hmm...yeah. Now that I think about it, that's what I was explaining. Never really heard of dos attacks on phones, but I guess it would work though.

Something I read stated that they get credit card numbers, and then call around to confirm/deny if they are any good or not. Anyone know if this makes sense?
    End of line.

Blog Entries

I think they are calling me also...however I don't answer the phone unless I know the number.

Thread Information