Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any custom computer builders out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Commodore VIC-20! The wonder computer of the 80's! The ultimate in affordable home computing! 5K of built in RAM, expandable! Save money on hardware! The keyboard and Basic language are built right in to the case! No more seperate components or loading from expensive 5 1/4 floppies! Displays right on your home color television! Use regular inexpensive cassette tapes to store your data!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEI7mm8M7Q

hell i had one of them damn good toy for its time.

READY--> Run

Blog Entries

I remember spending endless hours keying in "Commodore Basic" code from Compute's Gazette into my C-64!

something like this...

10 print "Cello On or Off?"
    20 input c
    30 if c=On goto50
    40 if c=Off goto60
    50 print "n00b" goto10
    60 print "WRONG ANSWER" goto10

run
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I remember spending endless hours keying in "Commodore Basic" code from Compute's Gazette into my C-64!

something like this...

10 print "Cello On or Off?"
    20 input c
    30 if c=On goto50
    40 if c=Off goto60
    50 print "n00b" goto10
    60 print "WRONG ANSWER" goto10

run

yep 3 hrs of typing 2 hrs of correcting mistakes and you made a colored ball bounce around the screen. and i thought i had accomplished something major.

man i miss the good old days of compuers. now it is how far can i over clock this Q6600 with out frying it, should i blow on it or spit on it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    yep 3 hrs of typing 2 hrs of correcting mistakes and you made a colored ball bounce around the screen. and i thought i had accomplished something major.

man i miss the good old days of compuers. now it is how far can i over clock this Q6600 with out frying it, should i blow on it or spit on it?
    Peltier!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I dunno... I was going down the path of picking up the RS Model IV, but after I saw this - I'm intrigued...

Macintosh

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post

Peltiers have to be monitored VERY closely in critical cooling apps. Should they malfunction, they become excellent insulating material. If a cooling fan malfunctions, at least they heat sink still provides a lot of heat dissipation.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Peltiers have to be monitored VERY closely in critical cooling apps. Should they malfunction, they become excellent insulating material. If a cooling fan malfunctions, at least they heat sink still provides a lot of heat dissipation.
    We used a Peltier in our high school science project. Had some first gen single core AMDs running around -20c. Fun project but we should tried to include some overclocking tests. We also had to seal the entire inner portion of the socket with some non-conductive gel. Very fun stuff to play around with.

Default Vigor Gaming Peltier

http://www.vigorgaming.com/component...nii_intel.html

I have been looking at one of these for my next rig, whenever i get around to building one. Most people say they don't do much until your temps really start to build and then the peltier kicks in and immediately drops the temps down. They aren't good for keeping the temps consistent but they work really well when you want to push your hardware.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daredog4 View Post

I have been looking at one of these for my next rig, whenever i get around to building one. Most people say they don't do much until your temps really start to build and then the peltier kicks in and immediately drops the temps down. They aren't good for keeping the temps consistent but they work really well when you want to push your hardware.
    I thought you left?

Please go back to your "love/hate" thread. I asked you a question about your comment about "Connecticut women" and I'd be very interested in hearing your response!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Then you know nothing about peltiers or CPU cooling.

Most of today's processors will hit thermal shutdown temps in as little as 25 to 30 seconds with stock settings, and overclocked settings thermal shutdown temps can be hit in as little as 8 seconds. I've seen an Intel Centrino 1.8GHz thermally shutdown in under a minute, and by todays standards this is a very slow processor.

Peltier cooling is 100% cooling 100% of the time, to tempuratures in the negative range. I've never seen a peltier cooled system warmer than -5 degrees F, even when overclocked to insane speeds.

Man ... I hate it when they light the wrong end of the cigar.

Kris

Blog Entries

Yep... A peltier plate that's not energized makes an in incredibly efficient thermal insulator. They run all the time 'dog.

I thought you had enough of this place?

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Now don't go and get all enraged because i decided to post again. I simply want to say that i have decided to let this all go with no hard feelings. Infact i might just stay away from the forum for awhile. I have been spending way too much time on here and not enough time envolved in the things i love. I have a great wife, an awesome job, and i get to do many of the hobbies i love (besides cigar smoking) now that it is spring time. Maybe i will go out and try a bunch of new cigars and then come back and see whats new on the forum.

See you guys later
    Guess he's gone out and tried a bunch of new cigars. Or maybe he can't stay away from this totally charismatic group of people. I know I can't get enough!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Default Peltier

You are absolutely right about how the peltier works however after doing a little research on that particular model and reading som reviews, i found out that they built that into the cooler. Supposedly the cooler will draw moisture or sweat if the amount of heat being "pumped" is not sufficient. So what vigor gaming did was program the cooler to kick in when the temps get high enough. That is why you don't see the temps drop much until you reach 40C or so.

And for those who don't like me, i really don't care. Im just here to enjoy cigars and in this case, enjoy talking about one of my other favorite past times. Computers and electronics.

You are absolutely right about how the peltier works however after doing a little research on that particular model and reading som reviews, i found out that they built that into the cooler. Supposedly the cooler will draw moisture or sweat if the amount of heat being "pumped" is not sufficient. So what vigor gaming did was program the cooler to kick in when the temps get high enough. That is why you don't see the temps drop much until you reach 40C or so.

And for those who don't like me, i really don't care. Im just here to enjoy cigars and in this case, enjoy talking about one of my other favorite past times. Computers and electronics.

Oh geez dude, wrong again.

Peltier cooling is basically electronic cooling and it works 100% of the time, as long as it has power and doesn't fail. It won't turn itself off and on because the intense change in temps will ruin your system. It super cools one side while it releases the intense heat on the other. Condensation (or "sweat" as you refer to it) is formed because of the close proximity of super heat and super cold. To put it in simple terms, it's kind of like a thunderstorm with hot and cold fronts moving together to generate rain. There are ways to mitigate this due to water and electronics not mixing well.

And you do realize that 37C is normal body temp, so 40C is like 107F?

Sheesh ... talk about Epic Fail.

Kris

Blog Entries

I don't know shit about all this computer crap. I do know that you will continue to get shit here since you have some unfinished business in another thread that you continue to ignore.

I guess JonDot and I will have to be the counter-weights to uphold Kansas' rep.

Blog Entries

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Dreadog!!! Dadgummit! I missed you!!! Welcome back!!!

Who doesn't like you? You're likeable enough... And (more importantly) why would someone not like you? What's not to like!!! You're one of the best things to happen to this board in a LONG time. I don't know about others, but I certainly missed your witty insight - you're incredible wealth of knowledge - and you're innovative thinking that is just bound to eventually turn this place on its ear!!!

You gotta be around more often! I desperately want you to get up to that magical 100 post count. I'm dying to be the one that's right there when it's your turn to send out some cigars in the FREE CIGARS thread! Thinking about the contents of your humidor makes me drool like an inronworker in a gin mill on payday...

lol...well thanks ggiese, i know a lot of things have been strewn out of proportion but i applaud your sense of humor about it all. And yes, i do look forward to being able to contribute more here. I don't know that my humidor holds anything that great, but most of them i thoroughly enjoy or have been wanting to try. I did get to try a lot of new ones in my time away, some great, some not so great. But it is fun to sample new cigars and add to my rotation.

As far as this thread is concerned i apologize that my statements about the Vigor Gaming peltier cooler have been missunderstood. Although i think that if certain people would have done a little research on it they would understand what i mean about the temps. That particualar cooler sandwiches the peltier between two plates that are both connected to cooling fins via copper heat pipes. The plate on the bottom is always on and acts as a usual heat pipe cooler. When the temps get high enough the controller turns the peltier on and moves the heat away from the processor and bottom plate into the top plate. That is why I made the statement that you don't see a large amount of cooling until the core temps build high enough.

I have also seen some cases where a peltier is used with water cooling. Personally i shy away from water cooling because i don't like fluids in my case, but i do see how a peltier would work really well with that setup.

Oh where to begin?

First thing first .... I've been building/rebuilding computers since the early 1990's. Some of the computers I've worked on are the Zenith Z-248, Kaypro 8086/8088, ALR, AST, Packard-Bell, Banyan CNS, and of course today's mainstream stuff like Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, etc. My first custom build was a Pentium 120 MHz white box I used for playing StarCraft. I have a Zenith 300 baud modem, a Pentium 60 motherboard and chip, and a Compaq "Lunchbox" 386/16 running Windows 3.1 on an amber screen that I use as memento's from my early days in IT.

Second, I don't like your "indirect" statement that I haven't done my research on this cooler. I already know about it because one of my hobbies is online gaming. I either create parts lists or will hands on build a system for my friends that are gamers and are members of either of the two gaming guilds that I've been a member of for almost 10 years now.

Third, this TEC cooler turns itself on to provide additional cooling once the CPU hits 50% of it's operating temps. Intel CPU's run hot because of how they're built, which means it will always be running at 50% of its operating temp, so the Peltier will always be on because the CPU will always be running hot.

Blog Entries

Ping..........pong.........ping.........pong...... .

Thread Information