Thread: Any custom computer builders out there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by daredog4 View Post
    Oh yeah, about watercooling. I don't know if i want to go there. Some of the premade/sealed units look alright but if that sucker were to ever spring a leak........you would be SOL. I guess im just scared. My case is vented very well and although its not completely quiet, i don't notice it at all when playing games.
    Thats why I use non-conductive fluid. I've spilled fluid on the motherboard several times and never shorted anything. I think I started getting into the watercooling after I got bored building normal computers. Its something to look into if you ever walk down the same path.

I posted pics of my latest build on the "pictures of desk/pc" thread if you want to check em out.

That is a very nice rig you got there. Im just wondering but what do your temps run under load.

Im thinking about sticking with air cooling at least for now. If i decide to get a new case there are now several manufacturers that make cases that come with bigger fans (120mm) and some of them come with 4 and can have more added (like the CM Stacker and Antec 900/1200 series). But if i ever decide to water cool.....I will know who to talk to first.

Oh and also, what are the main differences between the 32bit and 64 bit besides the ram allocation? Will all 32 bit programs run on 64?

Quote Originally Posted by daredog4 View Post
    That is a very nice rig you got there. Im just wondering but what do your temps run under load.

Im thinking about sticking with air cooling at least for now. If i decide to get a new case there are now several manufacturers that make cases that come with bigger fans (120mm) and some of them come with 4 and can have more added (like the CM Stacker and Antec 900/1200 series). But if i ever decide to water cool.....I will know who to talk to first.

Oh and also, what are the main differences between the 32bit and 64 bit besides the ram allocation? Will all 32 bit programs run on 64?
    Thanks!

Once you start getting into the newer processor/graphics card/motherboards you'll start seeing certain components hit 60+ degrees celsius. For example, my friend built the exact same computer with a QX6850, 4gb of RAM, same motherboard and a 4870 for graphics. On load, his graphics card would hit close to 90 degrees celsius. The mobo and CPU all end up around 60+. On load in my computer I rarely see it hit more than 50 degrees celsius. I also keep my graphics cards overclocked and they run stable whenever I play any 3d intensive games. You'll notice when you're playing a game on a newer graphics card that the fan will usually kick in and you'll start getting a wind tunnel noise in your computer. Same thing goes for the chipset fan and CPU fan.

As far as differences between 32bit and 64bit, there are a huge amount of changes under the skin. If you take a close look you'll see you have a 32bit and a 64bit Program Files folder, the registry has different paths and the way the OS works is a little different. I can't guarantee that all your 32bit programs will work, especially really old programs, but there is more and more support for 64bit processing since it is what's up and coming.

I got my HD3870 about six months ago and at the time it was the highest end card ATI had to offer. I really liked the Toxic because it was already overclocked to 800 GPU Mhz and 1150 Memory Mhz, and with the vapor chamber i have no issues with heat. I have always thought about Nvidia cards but their newer high powered cards run hot and suck the power. I do have one question though. If I upgraded cards, would it be better to buy another 3870 and crossfire or should i just go with the 4870? I know they have have a 4870x2 but the price is really high and the card is huge.

Honestly, I'd dump the 3870 for the 1GB GTX-285, and I'll give you two reasons why. The first is because this is the first single solution card that I've seen run Crysis on a widescreen and do it well. It probably helps having a 64 bit OS and 4GB of RAM, too, but you can always upgrade that later. The second reason is Windows 7 will not be a 32 bit OS, so planning for a future upgrade should definately be on your to-do list. This will be Microsoft's first OS release that DOES NOT support 32 bit CPU's so what you have right now will not run future operating systems and gives you a fantastic reason to abort the abomination .... uh, I mean delete your Windows Vista install .... LOL!!

For the video cards, ATI has always been about visual quality at the expense of frame rates while nVidia on the other hand has always been about performance at the expense of a high quality picture. I tell everyone this: if you're going to be watching alot of movies (DVD or Blu-Ray) then get an ATI card, but if you're going to be using it primarily for gaming then get the nVidia.

Kris

Default ATI vs NVIDIA

Here are the latest and greatest. Personally, I like the ATI but you be the decider.

Sapphire HD4870 2GB GDDR5 Memory with Vapor-X Cooling
    Core: 750mhz
    Mem: 900mhz, 3 Gbps

And by the way, the 4890 is now for sale......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hd4870.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	999

EVGA GeForce GTX-295 1792Mb GDDR3 Memory
    Core: 576mhz
    Mem: 1998mhz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EVGA card.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	1000

Both cards and many many more on www.Newegg.com And by the way BFG-Tech just came out with a killer custom water cooled GTX-295. Check out this link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143182

I'd probably say you get most bang for your buck with the ATI. Thats what a lot of popular tech sites usually say when comparing performance to price point. My roomie has the 4870 and it performs well but I'd have to say my two 8800s keep up with it just fine. From what MarineOne said, it's pretty true ATI has always been more about picture quality than performance. They also set themselves aside from Nvidia by providing more multimedia related features which not everyone necessarily needs or wants.

If it were my choice, I'd pick ATI if I was looking for the best deal and if I had the money for the Nvidia I'd go with them. Personally I think Nvidia racks up the prices on their cards just because they have a slight edge over the competition. ATI was smart for seeing this weakness and provided a competitively priced product.

As far as the 32/64bit issue goes, I don't think either of those cards would have an issue. As long as your running a card that offers 64 bit drivers, you'll be fine.

The watercooled BFG cards are beautiful. I don't know if they still do but some of their older watercooled cards used a Danger Den waterblock. Once you get into watercooling you'll probably find it more fun to install the waterblock yourself rather than getting a card with it pre-installed. Not to mention there are other waterblocks you can get from other companies that offer a more custom look with a clear acrylic top.
    Last edited by Silencei2; 04-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Can you light cigars on that puppy? Unless you're able to, trash it...

Thread Information