Thread: Victor Sinclair

Default Victor Sinclair

Hey all, I'm sorta new around here, but I wanted to know what everyone thought about Victor Sinclair cigars? I find that for a relatively cheap cigar, they aren't entirely too bad. When I can find them at my local Discount Tobacco Store -- because my hometown cigar shop doesn't carry them -- they run me about $1.89 a stick. And being relatively new to the whole cigar smoking thing and also being unemployed, I find that they fit my budget quite well, although in recent weeks I have been stocking a humidor that a close friend and I share, with other sticks. (We're at the experimental stage at the moment.)

A few weeks back, while working out in my garage, I picked up a Bohemian from Victor Sinclair... Man was that an awesome smoke! I would love to buy a few boxes, but my hometown cigar shop can't order them and I don't have a credit card, so unless I figure something out, I have a feeling that I won't be smoking any for a while.

So, what do you all think about Victor Sinclair, and is there a relatively cheap cigar that matches, or exceeds the Sinclair line that I might be able to find at my local cigar shop?

Blog Entries

I have a really bad experience with VS cigars. When I first got started, I was in the same boat: I wanted to stock up on cigars, to get my humidor full. I was also trying to save money. A very generous guy at my local B&M at the time gave me a bundle of random smokes. One of them was a Victor Sinclair.

There was the biggest vein I've ever seen on a cigar before. The smoke didn't burn very evenly, and the ash flaked off too easily. The taste wasn't.....what I've been accustomed to from other cigars.

I don't know. I didn't have a very favorable impression from the experience, to say the least. I probably won't pick up another one. Look around, search these forums. There are lots of great buys out there to try out. Keep in mind that cigar smoking is subjective, so smokes I may enjoy you may not, and vice-versa. I would also suggest trying out the newbie sampler thread - that thread is in the Exchange part of the forum. Also, don't be like me, and see how quickly you could stock your humi. It will get filled, don't worry about it. Take your time, do your research, and fill it with smokes you enjoy. You'll be glad you did.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I would not buy any boxes until you've tried many different singles. Don't be quick to latch onto one brand in the beginning. VS's are considered by many to be the armpit of the cigar industry. In all fairness, I've never had one and for some reason I don't feel the urge. With some more experience you might later decide you hate VS stuff, your taste will change over time. Go get some samplers (newbie sampler in the exchange section is a good start)

Blog Entries

I smoked quite a few VS sticks when I first started out, and with very, very, few exceptions, I regretted smoking each one. I typically experience both construction problems ( over/under filled / shitty wrappers / etc...) and just generally a flavor profile I don't care for.

I think I even have a few of the 55 series still lying around the cooler somewhere. Send me your addy and I'll get them to you in a while.

Thanks ashauler. I just sent you a PM with my information.

The normal Victor Sinclair sticks are alright, I'll smoke them, but I really like the Bohemians. They're not bad at all, or at least I don't think so. They've got a spicy kick to 'em that I find rather enjoyable.

I've been picking up singles left and right, for the last month or so, trying to figure out what I like and don't like. I've narrowed my selection down some; I've got a list that I'm using to keep track of what I like, so far there are quite a few, so I'm thinking I'll go back and buy a few more sticks of each and then narrow it down even more.

Thanks for the insight and help, all!

There are a couple of online stores that accept Moneyorders.Im not sure if i can mention them on the site here so ill PM you with their names.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Ursus View Post
    I've narrowed my selection down some; I've got a list that I'm using to keep track of what I like, so far there are quite a few, so I'm thinking I'll go back and buy a few more sticks of each and then narrow it down even more.
    At least for me, enjoying cigars doesn't involve stocking a humidor with all of my favorite smokes, like I'll somehow then be "ready" and "all set" to smoke cigars. Quite the contrary, I've been smoking cigars for about 18 months now, and I can think of only very few of the same cigars more than, say, twice. Most of them I've only smoked once. The point being, there is always something else around the corner, that I've never heard of, that isn't available in my area, or that has piqued my interest. For me, (and probably only me), there's no need to stock up on too many of my favorite cigars - there are still too many I want to try.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

8. Default

I have tried a lot of different VS cigars. They seem very hit or miss to me. Some are good for the price, while others are bland. If you need cigars on a budget though, VS is one to consider. They sure beat smoking a gas station cigar any day!

Some of the mail order joints have them in variety packs. I variety packs (usually).

Thread Information