Thread: Do you Twitter?

Default Do you Twitter?

Could someone give me some valid reasons for Twittering?

Does twittering become more time-consuming than texting?

If your closely following a business lead or volatile investment I can see Twittering.

If your totally in love with your boyfriend / girlfriend I might understand Twittering.

Otherwise why would you want to know what someone is doing at all times?

Is this a way to kill time when you're bored?

Is it a lightning-fast means of gossip so that you're always in-the-know?

I'm trying to decide if I should be Twittering.

No, no you should not.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

I don't really get the point to be honest. I feel like it's just another reason for people to broadcast their lives over the internet. I'd like to maintain at least some level of privacy!

My vote is no.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Someone sent me an invite and I did sign up but I know already it's just something I will not be doing. All my messengers are turn off most of the time. I do not texts from my phone. I like email thats good enough and easy to check.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Twitter is for people that have no life other than one they create online. That and I don't see how the limit of 140 characters for each "tweet" serves a purpose.

Short answer: no.

Kris

Blog Entries

Conclusion from the above: Old folks don't get it, so Twitter is cool .

(I'm not on Twitter.)
    Last edited by craig; 04-28-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add toon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Short answer: no.
    I do think the long answer is a bit more complicated, however.

Like DW alluded to in his earlier post, there are some conceivable uses for Twittering. I also think that the Twitter community really has yet to grasp how it can best be (read: purposefully) used. It's obviously a "catchy" technology, but much like Instant Messaging was in the late 90's/early 2000's, and cell phone texting, these technologies merely serve as fashionable communication vehicles for the masses. I think it would be more interesting to see practical uses embraced by traditional industries. For instance, if I was a teacher for a class, and wanted to reach my student base quickly about a change or mistake previously unforseen in that evening's homework, I could send out a tweet to my class. Maybe I am a bar or a restaurant, and I want to let those that subscribe to my tweets about the fabulous band that's playing that evening. Maybe I'm the marketing manager for a small business, and I want to let my customers know of an upcoming event or sale. There are plenty of other possibilities available that remain undiscovered.

I guess I still feel like the vast majority of individuals that are online (nevermind those who aren't) have not yet recognized the potential of web 2.0 technologies. What I'm trying to figure out is if they even need to. What's the point of all the cutting edge technology if it's being used for trite purposes? Well, for one, technology, at least historically, continuously evolves. Regardless if it "catches on" or not, someone will either replicate the technology, or evolve something out of the existing technology (see Twiddict).

What I find most interesting about Twitter is how it makes money. How does it make money? They sell no ads. They charge no fees. That business strategy is perplexing to me.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I Tweet. I'm there to learn things about those I follow. I don't care for the "I'm eating yoghurt" kind of posts. I'll drop folks who tweet shit like that. My #1 son is an expert on this kind of communication, and is teaching me about its power.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

What I find most interesting about Twitter is how it makes money. How does it make money? They sell no ads. They charge no fees. That business strategy is perplexing to me.
    Like everything else that didn't seem to conceivably make money when it was first rolled out (i.e. Arpanet, Mosaic, Yahoo, Google, etc.) Eventually someone will find a commercial revenue stream - the technology base will be sold for millions - and everyone (theoretically) will be happy...

Blog Entries

I think it's bullshit and childish. I refuse to have anything to do with it.

Might be a good place to sell humidors though.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 05-01-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I think it's bullshit and childish. I refuse to have anything to do with it.

Might be a good place to sell humidors though.
    Or cigars, software, consulting services. I can "unfollow" and ban anybody I find boring or shilling.

edit to add: 2 of my 4 sons use it. Its kind of handy to see what's on their mind during the day.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Blog Entries

I think it's simply the next new thing.. much like text messaging, myspace, facebook... just another way to transmit information, however useless it may be.

I guess I'll consider myself old when I don't find this stuff interesting.

BTW.. No, I don't twitter, but I'm going to check it out just fir S&G's
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Thread Information