Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Absolutely, when can I expect the '26 in the mail? I'll send it back when I cut it and you can judge.
    I just didn't trust you with one of my Padron's. So I did it myself.
    But, I did practice on this Rafael Gonzalez first. Yeppers, smooth as glass.
    That 80 tooth Avanti did the trick.

Default Shelving

Here are the display shelves. After much contemplation I went with a 38 degree tilt.
    I'm a long way from stocking. These cigars are just a trial.
    There's still work to be done on the storage shelves, trim work, paint the door, seal around the A/C door, cleanup, window blind, track lights, on and on. Maybe a month.

I bought a DeWalt mitre saw a few years back -- I was planning on doing some wainscoting and moulding projects, but we ended up moving instead. The poor thing has never been used -- I finally have a use for it.

It looks like things are coming together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I just didn't trust you with one of my Padron's. So I did it myself.
    But, I did practice on this Rafael Gonzalez first. Yeppers, smooth as glass.
    That 80 tooth Avanti did the trick.

Default Ceiling & Lights

I invested about 7 hours on Saturday installing the ceiling tiles and track lights. These are styrene tiles that are very light weight and cheap but perfect for my application. They are 100% moisture proof so they won't sag from the humidity, they are white so will reflect true colors from the cedar wood and they are a good insulator from the attic heat.

The track lights replaced the temporary flourescent lights. I'm using 50w halogen spots with UV filters. This should again keep true colors and keep the UV from cooking my sticks. I just have a couple lights clipiped on the track right now but will add several more when it's time to stock the shelves.

Hmmm. Interesting cutter.
    Dan

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up That's a great project

I am certainly jealous of your project! I would hope that I could some day at least build a wall unit, but that is the way it goes. I can't wait to see your pics on that... even now I am drooling! LOL Good luck with your project I hope it is a great success! Roger
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Awesome!

I did not realize you had pics on this thread already. Wow! Awesome!

Default What I learned today

Moisture laden air (higher RH) is lighter than dry air. That's right.
    Yep, fortunately it has changed my plans for the intake/supply arrangement for the humidifier and I have avoided a major fuck-up. I was planning to pull air into the bypass humidifier from down low and discharge it high hoping for a better RH balance within the humidor. Not so. I need to pull mid to upper level air into the humidifier and blow it downward. Here's why...

Effect of water vapor
    The addition of water vapor to air (making the air humid) reduces the density of the air, which may at first appear contrary to logic.

This occurs because the molecular mass of water (18) is less than the molecular mass of air (around 29). For any gas, at a given temperature and pressure, the number of molecules present is constant for a particular volume. So when water molecules (vapor) are introduced to the air, the number of air molecules must reduce by the same number in a given volume, without the pressure or temperature increasing. Hence the mass per unit volume of the gas (its density) decreases.

The density of humid air may be calculated as a mixture of ideal gases. In this case, the partial pressure of water vapor is known as the vapor pressure. Using this method, error in the density calculation is less than 0.2% in the range of −10 °C to 50 °C. The density of humid air is found by:

[1]
    Where:

Density of the humid air (kg/m³)
    pd = Partial pressure of dry air (Pa)
    Rd = Specific gas constant for dry air, 287.05 J/(kg·K)
    T = Temperature (K)
    pv = Pressure of water vapor (Pa)
    Rv = Specific gas constant for water vapor, 461.495 J/(kg·K)
    The vapor pressure of water may be calculated from the saturation vapor pressure and relative humidity. It is found by:

Where:

pv = Vapor pressure of water
    Relative humidity
    psat = Saturation vapor pressure
    The saturation vapor pressure of water at any given temperature is the vapor pressure when relative humidity is 100%. A simplification of the regression [1] used to find this, can be formulated as:

IMPORTANT:

This will give a result in mbar (millibar), 1 mbar = 0.001 bar = 0.1 kPa = 100 Pa
    pd is found considering partial pressure, resulting in:

Where p simply notes the absolute pressure in the observed system.

Well Slap me Naked.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 06-11-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Hmm. Discharge high, absorb low, is what I was taught. This may simply be due to convenience rather than science, though. I guess I could dig out a textbook ...

I'm not disagreeing with the density calculation - but I am guessing (GUESSING) that differences in temperature trump humidity. Temp is not constant, which causes air currents which move the humidity around. Then you realize air is not an ideal gas; it is a mixture, but the equation is meant for ideal gases, and eventually you realize that you need a cigar

A desktop oscillating fan in that room would probably have a big effect on RH distribution.

I'll try to remember to ask a friend of mine (who should know the answer) about this the next time I see him. Unfortunately, we just had lunch yesterday, so I probably won't see him again until July.

The room is looking better and better! I'd consider a smaller cigar cutter, though.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

This is the part of the project where I just kind of stand in the corner and maybe look at my watch.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    This is the part of the project where I just kind of stand in the corner and maybe look at my watch.
    How about you and I just meet in the game room for a smoke Mark?

I'm gonna be adopted soon so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    How about you and I just meet in the game room for a smoke Mark?

I'm gonna be adopted soon so it's all good.
    Sure, just put the ashtray right there in the middle of the poker table. If a cigar rolls off onto the felt, that's OK. The beer fridge is there in the corner. If you don't like what's in there I'll run down to the store while you two pick through my sticks.

I have the adoption papers ready. Are you a pedigree?

Blog Entries

Nope.....mutt all the way, but that pesky neutering thing has been taken care of.

I would never allow the poker table to be desecrated, nor would I disparage your stock of beverages, decimate perhaps, but not disparage.

Blog Entries

Question Your windows

Seriously! I am concerned that you can see into you humidor from outside the house. I would personally be worried that someone would see inside and get tempted to break in. What about shades or a curtain? I think you are brave to have those windows there. If i were standing outside I would want in!

Not only that but are your windows going to affect you humidity or tax the way you control your humidity? Just a thought.

Awesome project though, I am still thoroughly jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Seriously! I am concerned that you can see into you humidor from outside the house. I would personally be worried that someone would see inside and get tempted to break in.
    The large windows allow viewing and drooling from DeeDubya's game room. The outside entrance does not have a window, but the back side does have a window. However, from DeeDubya's plans, the window is connected to his security system. And so the would be thief has to ask himself, "Do I feel lucky?"

Very nice, when is the grand opening herf?

ha - you should put a big "Xikar" logo on the chop saw.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Seriously! I am concerned that you can see into you humidor from outside the house. I would personally be worried that someone would see inside and get tempted to break in. What about shades or a curtain? I think you are brave to have those windows there. If i were standing outside I would want in!

Not only that but are your windows going to affect you humidity or tax the way you control your humidity? Just a thought.

Awesome project though, I am still thoroughly jealous!
    Valid thoughts there Roger. There is an outside window, I think it's 2'0x5'0, but will have a blind that closes completely. And of course it's on my alarm system. The inside large windows are really what I'm depending on to help control temperature. They were outside windows before, so they are sealed and double-pane. We've had some 95+ days here lately and the humi temperature has not gone over 75. I spent today installing the humidifier and will post some pics on Monday.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Blind is a good idea!

Yup I think that at least a blind will help keep the sun out a bit, as well as protection from any who may be passing through. You never know. Look forward to the pics! Roger

Default Humidifier

This is a Honeywell evaporative "bypass" type humidifier. It has a drum filter that slowly turns (1rpm) picks up water and allows air to flow through the filter media. I chose this model for several reasons. 1) Absolutely no white dust fallout, 2) water pan with float fill as opposed to the curtain type that runs water continuously during the on cycle, 3) very low power consumption of only 30w when running, 4) overflow drain just in case of a stuck float valve. It is fully automatic and has a capacity of up to 2000 sq ft and can use either hard or soft water. I'm tapping into the soft water just to help keep calcification to a minimum. The filter media is easily replacable ($10) and should be done twice a year.

Here you can see the fan that pulls air through the unit. Since it is a "bypass" type humidifier it normally depends on the house A/C ductwork to push and pull the air through the unit. I bought this 6" "duct booster" fan (250cfm) and attached it where the ductwork bypass would attach. It is controlled along with the drum by the humidistat so that they are both turned on and off at the same time. This should make for a very economical system. Also it should provide ample air circulation within the humidor.

Thread Information