Thread: Valkyrie

Default Valkyrie

Went to see this movie because I'm a war history fanatic and was not disappointed. I also thought I would be thrown off by the lack of German accents but it did not take anything away from the solidity of the movie. Something you should definetly check out if you like suspenseful military flicks.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

Just watched this last evening.

I like how the film was shot, and that the primary focus wasn't making Tom Cruise to be this supernatural action hero. It's one of those stories where you might not have ever known of the plot to assassinate Hitler had it not been for a movie like this. Doing a bit more research this morning, I found that historians, with very few technical exceptions, agree that the film is a reasonably historically accurate portrayal of events. The different levels of suspense throughout the film were intriguing as well, and you find yourself trying to figure out how they are going to fail in their ploy throughout the movie.

I did have a problem with the sound, though. There were times in the film that were barely audible, and others that were deafening.

I also kept wondering about the implications of their actions should they have succeeded. Certainly Himmler and Mussolini wouldn't have just idly stood by while Stauffenberg and the coup negotiated a treaty. Also, at some point the reserve army and Gestapo would have found out that forces under their command led to this coup. It seems a considerable amount of planning took place to gain control, the movie doesn't show there being a plan of action once the resistance was in power.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I prefer Defiance, Tuvia is my hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gifters View Post
    I prefer Defiance, Tuvia is my hero
    Just watched the trailer. Not quite the premise of Valkyrie, but looks like a good flick. Thanks for pointing it out.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Just watched this last evening.

I like how the film was shot, and that the primary focus wasn't making Tom Cruise to be this supernatural action hero. It's one of those stories where you might not have ever known of the plot to assassinate Hitler had it not been for a movie like this. Doing a bit more research this morning, I found that historians, with very few technical exceptions, agree that the film is a reasonably historically accurate portrayal of events. The different levels of suspense throughout the film were intriguing as well, and you find yourself trying to figure out how they are going to fail in their ploy throughout the movie.

I did have a problem with the sound, though. There were times in the film that were barely audible, and others that were deafening.

I also kept wondering about the implications of their actions should they have succeeded. Certainly Himmler and Mussolini wouldn't have just idly stood by while Stauffenberg and the coup negotiated a treaty. Also, at some point the reserve army and Gestapo would have found out that forces under their command led to this coup. It seems a considerable amount of planning took place to gain control, the movie doesn't show there being a plan of action once the resistance was in power.
    I believe they were going to call upon the Allies once the Gestapo and the SS Army finished arresting the Nazi Officers to overthrow the SS Army. I saw this film in a theater, so I did not hear any changes in sound quality. I thought the executions in the courtyard was added for theatrical juice but they really did put von Stauffenberg and the other officers involved in front of a firing squad immediately after they had been captured.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Default *Spoiler Alert*

Did you guys love the Titanic too? *Spoiler Alerts* the ship sinks. How about Glory? *Spoiler Alert* the North wins.

Actually I refuse to see this Valkyrie (*Spoiler Alert* Hitler isn't assassinated) because Singer was supposed to have "Superman Man of Steel" finished by this year. He's the idiot that ruined my franchise. If it was done well we could of had a Batman/Superman movie in a few years. But instead it took Singer 2 years to make and promote Valkyrie that bombed in the theaters. Now because Singer can't make a decent movie they're going to reboot Superman - again. Hopefully with a new director like Tim Burton.

Thread Information