Thread: Flying with Cigars

Default Flying with Cigars

I'm flying out in four hours and just realized that I don't know the rules on flying with cigars. I'm going to be checking luggage and was wanting to bring my otterbox full of cigars with me. I figure I should be able to carry those on, but what about my lighter and cutter? I'm not going to take my Colibri lighter or Xicar cutter but would like to take my cheap lighter (butane still) and a freebie single sided cutter I got from Cigars International on some order. If I can't take the lighter, I'd be willing to pack up some matches. I just don't want to get to my destination and not have a way to enjoy my smokes, or cause an incident with TSA.
    Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

I'd think, as long as it's checked baggage, not carry on, you'd be ok.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

You're allowed to take one regular lighter (not a torch) on board with you in your carry on. I'd put the cutter in your checked luggage. If worse comes to worse buy a cheap $3 cutter and a cheap lighter when you get to where you're going.

Blog Entries

No torches on the plane. Anywhere.

As an aside, lighter, cutter, etc., rules are different for domestic vs. international flights.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

5. Default

Take a cheap cutter in your checked luggage. tsa are just a bunch of minimum wage mallcops. I have had nothing but bad dealings with them,most are not fit to work the drive thru at booger king. They are too busy hassling people with too big of a tube of toothpaste while some fucktard gets by with a weapon. Don't get me started or I'll blow a gasket. I do not feel protected just because there are 900 drooling tards working at the airport for $3.75 an hour
    The older I get ,the better I was

Supposedly, the rules had changed with checked in luggage. There was a time that you were not permitted to carry cigar cutters in checked baggage - however it's now permissible to do so. They're not supposed to confiscate the cutter - but then again (as Kevin eludes to), they ain't the brightest bulbs in the pack...

I toss my Otter box into my checked luggage - with the cutter and lighter under the bottom tray. I've not had any issues with anyone taking my lighter/cutter/otter box. All has been good. I'd not be so tempted to carry it through the security check point - they seem to make the biggest deal over the craziest things...

Last time I flew for work I went on a shuttle. All carry on. No problem with the cutter, lighter or the cigars. They didn't even look at them.

They confiscated my shampoo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    They confiscated my shampoo.

"You're going to fly me to South America, or I am SO gonna wash your hair"
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Default check the tsa.gov website

I am sure there are up to the moment rules at the tsa website. But it is even better to call the actual airline too, they can field your questions on what you can bring. I wanted to bring watercolor on board the plane (the dry stuff in cakes) and they would not let me do that. No Paint. It was a bummer. I talked with one guy on the cruise I went on and he was able to bring his cutter, although I don't know if he had checked or carry on luggage.
    Just another day at the office!

I think the rule now is no blades over 3 inches but don't quote me.

I had one lady ask me once about my punch. Explained was it was, she thought it was pretty cool (Xikar) and she sent me on my way.

Blog Entries

A little over a year ago, I flew to Mexico with a torch, cutter and matches in my checked bag. I have also flown domestically with my torch and cutter in checked baggage within the last year.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Security Theater is a interesting place.

Checking your stuff is the safest way to go. That being said I've traveled with pocket knives, tent stakes, etc in my carry on luggage. My favorite experience was a diving trip with my dad where he was flagged because the chemical sniffer detected the carbon filter from his regulator moisture wick. I sat there and laughed as they all but strip searched him while I had a 4in dive knife with my gear in a mesh bag.

Don't bother with the TSA locks either, just as big of a hoax.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I am sure there are up to the moment rules at the tsa website. But it is even better to call the actual airline too, they can field your questions on what you can bring. I wanted to bring watercolor on board the plane (the dry stuff in cakes) and they would not let me do that. No Paint. It was a bummer. I talked with one guy on the cruise I went on and he was able to bring his cutter, although I don't know if he had checked or carry on luggage.
    TSA Rules?

The rules are what the knuckle-draggers interpret them to be. The airlines will tell you its perfectly fine to do something - and you'll find it's quite a different situation when you reach the checkpoint. Especially with something they're not necessarily used to seeing regularly.

Carry a torch and a cutter in your checked in bag - likely 99 out of 100 times it will be no problem. That 100th time is a bitch... I have accidentally walked through the checkpoints with a pocket knife in my carry on bag. Managed to get through - but I wouldn't want to do it very often...

That being said - flown dozens of times the last few years and never had any problem with my torch/cutter in my checked in bags - and I've found the TSA courtesy "search" card in my luggage. They're NOT supposed to confiscate it, but I've hear horror stories from others that have lost their Palio or Xikar cutters and expensive torch.

...of course the VERY worse that will happen is they will confiscate it. Pack cheapies in your luggage and you don't lose much. Even though I pack a decent cutter and torch in my checked luggage - it's something I could care less if I lose...

I think the best advice so far is buy a disposable cutter and bic lighter.

Thread Information