Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Having Cigars You Don't Like

Default The Importance of Having Cigars You Don't Like

A while back I decided I was going to stick with cigars I knew and liked and quit chasing every new cigar that came out. I just discovered that there is a real reason not to do that.

The other day a bunch of friends came over for my birthday. As always happens, a few of them who were non smokers wanted to smoke a cigar.

Now, I'm not saying I dislike my friends or want to give them crappy sticks. I always try to give things to fellow BOTL's that I feel they will enjoy, and to be quite honest, I derive a lot of personal pleasure from maybe introducing them to something new or getting them something that might be hard to get. The expense is never an issue. But a non cigar smoker is quite another thing. They neither know, nor would they recognize a good cigar. The scenario is always the same. They take the cigar and ask me to cut it for them. Then they light it with all the care and delicacy usually reserved for arsonists. They stick the foot directly into the flame and suck hard enough to pull a golf ball through a straw. Once "lit" they take it out of their mouth and admire this once beautiful thing that now looks like something that just went through a blast furnace, and lovingly and wistfully proclaim what a great smoke it is. "Mmm.. That's a good cigar... Lots of chocolate!". (Sometimes I think I could shit in a maple leaf and someone would light it and tell me it tastes like chocolate.) Soon after, the thing that brought them so much blissful pleasure is standing straight up in an ashtray, crushed like a smart car that just tangled head on with a freight train.

So, I've been giving them the crap and stuff I don't like (mostly acquired a while back from folks who received points for their "generosity.") My friends must really like them because they continue to ask for more whenever they come over.

Well, this time when I looked in my humidor, I found that I had nothing I disliked. It pained me to see some good cigars be sacrificed for the sake of politeness.

So, I'm going to start chasing a few more cheap sticks that might actually hold some promise of being decent. I figure if I have to sacrifice them to the God of friendship I might as well keep the price down.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 04-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, at least they don't expect Cubans, like they do here. My step-bro has boxes of fake Cohiba's that he uses for the purpose, but they're so gross that I couldn't finish one.

I really like Flor de Oliva for the situation that you describe. At under $1.50 each, they're one of the best values on the market IMHO - and good enough that I'm happy smoking them (because someone is bound to say, "I'll smoke along with you"). The only knock is that they aren't as complex more expensive smokes. Four wrappers to choose from - Corojo, Gold (Connecticut), Regular (Sumatra, sweetened a bit I think), and a Maduro.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Just keep that box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro around for times like these...

You can even sneak one yourself once in a while!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post

I was thinking Tuskers, but I see your point.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Man Shelby - half the post it seemed like you were talking about me. It were like ye knew me. (or you're the guy who keeps looking through my window.) But I'm hoping my palate and my passion for arson come around. The reason why I haven't asked to do the Newbie Sampler Thread yet is because I'd have no idea the importance of what someone sent me - let alone appreciate it.

Blog Entries

I used to keep a bundle of Rosa Cubas around for just such an occasion.

Blog Entries

Well put Shelby. I gave a friend a CAO Brazilia, which I enjoy and isn't really expensive, half-way through he turns to me and says "this is pretty good, but I wouldn't know the difference." I should get a pack of grape Swisher Sweets so that the newb's can have something sweet and cheap.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post

That's exactly what I do!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Mark, those Casa Royales you were wondering about would probably fit the bill. Not as cheap as a good bundle, but nice cigar. Me, I'd still be disappointed to watch one of these meet an early end in the ash tray.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Mark, those Casa Royales you were wondering about would probably fit the bill. Not as cheap as a good bundle, but nice cigar. Me, I'd still be disappointed to watch one of these meet an early end in the ash tray.
    They always looked interesting, but I was determined to burn through all the stuff I knew I wouldn't smoke before I tried anything else new. If I really like them I'll keep a box around. My biggest problem right now is that I don't have too much room in the humi for any new stuff, let alone things I won't smoke.

I got a chuckle out of this post. I actually do this with 5 Vegas Gold's since they are a good newbie cigar and they're inexpensive .... and I can sneek one once in a while and still enjoy them.

As odd as it is, I seem to have run out of those on the exact same night we had a drill for indirect fire (rocket and mortar attack). That, and the bunker we were in for some strange reason was full of smoke.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    I got a chuckle out of this post....
    That was the intent. I figured a lot of us here go through a similar drill. As for my buddies wanting a Cuban cigar, well I just take the band off of anything I have laying around. They really don't know the difference. In fact, I've found out the hard way that non-smokers seem to snuff the true CC's faster than the cheapos.

I have a friend that is hooked on Don Tomas'. I have a few in the humi for him, other then that I've never really thought about keeping a supply for occasions like these! Good idea!

I know this true deuche bag who unfortunately, I just cannot avoid. He was talking all big about cigars one day during the holidays. I gave him a JdN Antano and told him it was a nice mild morning smoke. Oddly enough, the cigar talk stopped and he has not asked for any cigars from me since....
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    I know this true deuche bag who unfortunately, I just cannot avoid. He was talking all big about cigars one day during the holidays. I gave him a JdN Antano and told him it was a nice mild morning smoke. Oddly enough, the cigar talk stopped and he has not asked for any cigars from me since....

lol damn that's messed up.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

16. Default

i know this true deuche bag who unfortunately, i just cannot avoid. He was talking all big about cigars one day during the holidays. I gave him a jdn antano and told him it was a nice mild morning smoke. Oddly enough, the cigar talk stopped and he has not asked for any cigars from me since....
    rotflmao...

Now THAT'S funny!

*snicker*

Next time you see him, give him the same story and a Coyolar! Make sure you stick around to make sure he smokes it all. Maybe pair it with some cheap strong scotch and no chaser in sight. Recommend the occasional inhale.

If he doesn't puke before it's done, his mouth and throat still won't be right for a week!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

That reminds me of what we do to people here we don't care for.

Make a pot of overly strong chicory coffee. Serve it to offending party.

Deny every request to allow them to go to the bathroom. Just watching their face squirm makes it worth all the while.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    A while back I decided I was going to stick with cigars I knew and liked and quit chasing every new cigar that came out. I just discovered that there is a real reason not to do that.

The other day a bunch of friends came over for my birthday. As always happens, a few of them who were non smokers wanted to smoke a cigar.

Now, I'm not saying I dislike my friends or want to give them crappy sticks. I always try to give things to fellow BOTL's that I feel they will enjoy, and to be quite honest, I derive a lot of personal pleasure from maybe introducing them to something new or getting them something that might be hard to get. The expense is never an issue. But a non cigar smoker is quite another thing. They neither know, nor would they recognize a good cigar. The scenario is always the same. They take the cigar and ask me to cut it for them. Then they light it with all the care and delicacy usually reserved for arsonists. They stick the foot directly into the flame and suck hard enough to pull a golf ball through a straw. Once "lit" they take it out of their mouth and admire this once beautiful thing that now looks like something that just went through a blast furnace, and lovingly and wistfully proclaim what a great smoke it is. "Mmm.. That's a good cigar... Lots of chocolate!". (Sometimes I think I could shit in a maple leaf and someone would light it and tell me it tastes like chocolate.) Soon after, the thing that brought them so much blissful pleasure is standing straight up in an ashtray, crushed like a smart car that just tangled head on with a freight train.

So, I've been giving them the crap and stuff I don't like (mostly acquired a while back from folks who received points for their "generosity.") My friends must really like them because they continue to ask for more whenever they come over.

Well, this time when I looked in my humidor, I found that I had nothing I disliked. It pained me to see some good cigars be sacrificed for the sake of politeness.

So, I'm going to start chasing a few more cheap sticks that might actually hold some promise of being decent. I figure if I have to sacrifice them to the God of friendship I might as well keep the price down.
    I thought this is what left over Gurkha's were made for?

Thread Information