Thread: Total Newbie from Iowa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Total Newbie from Iowa

Hi, I'm from Iowa. Never smoked a day in my life but I'm getting married this summer and want to have cigars for occasions: bachelor party, birth of a child and the like... maybe for fun, I hear its a lot of fun to take a cigar and go by a bunch of cigarette smokers and puff away I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke but I do enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco every once in a while. I loved smoked meats and the outdoors. My cologne is Good Life by Davidoff (I understand he makes cigars).

I'll probably be jumping in the Newbie sampler thread to get some decent quality mild cigars and others, maybe see if I can send funds for a decent humidor as well. Hopefully a complete care package for a newbie.

Well I think I've enough for now all by myself. If you have any tips or advice questions... or concerns shoot them my way. I'll be happy to answer.

I did have one question though, is it acceptable to not smoke an entire cigar at once, and what the proper way to do so was?

Thanks,

Gifters

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from Bitterville, PA

I've never had any good luck, as far as preserving the flavor, with re-lighting a cigar after its put down for a while. Not to say I don't finish my wife's cigar on a walk with the dog at the end of the night...

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

welcome from North Carolina

Hi there! I'm fairly new to cigars as well and a newbie to this site. I lol'ed when I read that you enjoy smoked meat. Perhaps you could try using some as a wrapper, might make for quite a tasteful cigar wouldn't you agree?

Ticker

Welcome from another Iowa member. Which area are you in? You smoke as much of the cigar as you can but relighting isn't really the best. After you smoke a cigar you can't put it with your other cigars in the humidor as it will mess them up. This leads of course to the semi-smoked cigar drying out.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    Welcome from another Iowa member. Which area are you in? You smoke as much of the cigar as you can but relighting isn't really the best. After you smoke a cigar you can't put it with your other cigars in the humidor as it will mess them up. This leads of course to the semi-smoked cigar drying out.

I'm in Iowa City so South Eastern Iowa.

Thanks everyone for the info everyone. Sorry for the short post but I spent my weekend turkey hunting and got my first bird. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the welcome.

Gifters

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Hi there! I'm fairly new to cigars as well and a newbie to this site. I lol'ed when I read that you enjoy smoked meat. Perhaps you could try using some as a wrapper, might make for quite a tasteful cigar wouldn't you agree?

Ticker
    Ticker, it would be cool if you would rein some of this shit in, take a few days or even weeks and just read some old threads - cigar reviews, noob intros, troll roasts, etc., and get a feel for this site before you post too much more. A good rule, no, an excellent rule of thumb for noobs is to "read more, post less."

Welcome to the board, both of you. Probably.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Ticker, it would be cool if you would rein some of this shit in, take a few days or even weeks and just read some old threads - cigar reviews, noob intros, troll roasts, etc., and get a feel for this site before you post too much more. A good rule, no, an excellent rule of thumb for noobs is to "read more, post less."

Welcome to the board, both of you. Probably.

Thank you for the welcome. However, please don't concern yourself with my actions. I will read when I please and post when I please. I don't intend to become an expert overnight, nor do I ever. I simply enjoy learning about cigars and shooting the breeze with others alike.. and doing so on my own time. I think an excellent rule of thumb for senior members who let their post count get to their heads is that it is just a number and any member, regardless of his or her post count should be treated equally. I'm simply welcoming another new member like me, which I see nothing wrong with. Anyways, this thread is about welcoming gifters and not me, so let us not get off topic.

Ticker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gifters View Post
    Hi, I'm from Iowa. Never smoked a day in my life but I'm getting married this summer and want to have cigars for occasions: bachelor party, birth of a child and the like... maybe for fun, I hear its a lot of fun to take a cigar and go by a bunch of cigarette smokers and puff away I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke but I do enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco every once in a while. I loved smoked meats and the outdoors. My cologne is Good Life by Davidoff (I understand he makes cigars).

I'll probably be jumping in the Newbie sampler thread to get some decent quality mild cigars and others, maybe see if I can send funds for a decent humidor as well. Hopefully a complete care package for a newbie.

Well I think I've enough for now all by myself. If you have any tips or advice questions... or concerns shoot them my way. I'll be happy to answer.

I did have one question though, is it acceptable to not smoke an entire cigar at once, and what the proper way to do so was?

Thanks,

Gifters
    Welcome to cigarsmokers from Ottawa, Canada!

To answer your question, sh*t happens. To do it:
    1. Purge (blow outwards) the cigar. Get the wrapper burning.
    2. Let the cigar go out in the ashtray.
    3. Light the next morning. The cigar will be different and not as good.

Better to cut the cigar in half at first, or, better yet, purchase a tin of smaller cigars for such occasions.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Welcome to cigarsmokers from Ottawa, Canada!

To answer your question, sh*t happens. To do it:
    1. Purge (blow outwards) the cigar. Get the wrapper burning.
    2. Let the cigar go out in the ashtray.
    3. Light the next morning. The cigar will be different and not as good.

Better to cut the cigar in half at first, or, better yet, purchase a tin of smaller cigars for such occasions.
    Damnit that should have been my answer. Good job craig.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Welcome to the board Gifters, from NC.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Thread Information