Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Box Pass

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE View Post
    Sorry about that Craig.

I was smoking a Decade while posting, it is the Fusion Double Maduro Churchill.

Rich
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    +1 to being interested in both the Oliva & Cabiguan and that the other two cigars are out of my league.

Also, I was away all weekend and missed the discussion on the puts being significantly higher than the takes and wanted to thank everyone for taking it into consideration when finalizing your trades.

Questions:
    Is there a norm for box passes to grow in value significantly from the beginning of the pass until the end?

Are contests/prizes usually included with a pass?
    To varying degrees, yes, and yes.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Questions:
    Is there a norm for box passes to grow in value significantly from the beginning of the pass until the end?

Are contests/prizes usually included with a pass?
    It would be next to impossible for a pass, properly completed, not to increase in value during its course.

Significantly increase, I dunno, I guess it would be to each ones definition as to what is significant. It should not be the objective of the pass, but rather a by-product.
    Last edited by ashauler; 06-01-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fix quote thingy

Maduro tray:
    Take: #1 Padron 6000 Maduro, $5.99 - Put #29 Cabaiguan Guapo RX, $ 7.12
    Take: #3 Padron Executive, $5.87 - Put: #30 Rocky Patel Double Maduro Churchill, $5.97

Triple corta tray:
    Take: #10 Quintero Breva, $2.40 - Put #31 Cuaba Divinos 2008, $3.81
    Take: #13 Por Larrañaga Panatela, $2.49 - Put #32 Punch Petit Punch 2007, $4.00(pd)

Long Stick tray:
    Take: #16 Cohiba EL 06 Pyramid, $25.99 - Put #33 God of Fire Carlito Piramide '05, $28.98
    Take: #17 Partagás Presidente, $7.05 - Put #34 Vegas Robaina Unicos 2008, $7.60

Long-Filler tray:
    Take #22 Bolivar Short Bolivar RE A/P, $11.84 - Put #35 Romeo Y Julieta EL 2007, $12.03
    Take #24 Bolivar Belicoso Fino, $ 7.86 - Put #36 Cohiba Maduro 5 Secreto 2008, $7.87

These are my final put and takes, if agreed upon by the pass.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    It would be next to impossible for a pass, properly completed, not to increase in value during its course.

Significantly increase, I dunno, I guess it would be to each ones definition as to what is significant. It should not be the objective of the pass, but rather a by-product.
    I completely agree that a properly complete pass should increase in value (not that I'm an expert, but from what I've gathered from reading this thread, in addition to others), "leave the pass better than you found it".

I guess I was wondering what the "acceptable" range was for a "put" to be over a "take". I understand that they should be as close as possible, but in the case of Rich's first listing of takes/puts, you singled out the trades that were over a $1 difference, which seems like a good guideline to me.

I completely agree that a properly complete pass should increase in value (not that I'm an expert, but from what I've gathered from reading this thread, in addition to others), "leave the pass better than you found it".

I guess I was wondering what the "acceptable" range was for a "put" to be over a "take". I understand that they should be as close as possible, but in the case of Rich's first listing of takes/puts, you singled out the trades that were over a $1 difference, which seems like a good guideline to me.
    That has been my philosophy on passes. I do understand trying to keep it in the same range, but it's not as easy as it looks. It will be a little easier knowing some of the agreed upon prices of the cigars being added to the pass.

Rich

Blog Entries

I try to keep within this range. Granted, it's not always easy and I don't always make it but I stay as close as my stash will allow. If I can't do it, I'll pass on the stick before I'll put a $3-4 dollar more expensive stick in.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE
    That has been my philosophy on passes. I do understand trying to keep it in the same range, but it's not as easy as it looks. It will be a little easier knowing some of the agreed upon prices of the cigars being added to the pass.

Rich
    I completely understand Rich, and hope that you know I wasn't "picking" on you in any way. I just wanted to get a clear understanding out there.

There is no picking my friend, this all about learning!

Rich

Blog Entries

I was going to address this, might as well do it now. "Better than you found it" has, IMHO, almost NOTHING to do with value. It means things like:
    - making sure the box is structurally sound and hasn't suffered a lot. (Note the inside box has deliberately been expanded.)
    - keeping the pass to 65/65 as best you can
    - keeping an eagle eye out for brown dust or small holes in cello - at unpacking and at re-packing.
    - shipping using click'n'ship. You save, chances of successful delivery go up . Pass weighs under
    - communicating early and often when you have the pass
    - etc.

Every pass has different themes. The theme of any pass is to try some new cigars and have some fun. For this pass, we have added learning, which is generally not fun .

Rich
    I thought about putting initial prices, but passes generally don't do this. More learning for you!

There is no picking my friend, this all about learning!

Rich
    Craig

Blog Entries

Maduro tray:
    Take: #1 Padron 6000 Maduro, $5.99 - Put #29 Cabaiguan Guapo RX, $ 7.12
    Take: #3 Padron Executive, $5.87 - Put: #30 Rocky Patel Double Maduro Churchill, $5.97

Triple corta tray:
    Take: #10 Quintero Breva, $2.40 - Put #31 Cuaba Divinos 2008, $3.81
    Take: #13 Por Larrañaga Panatela, $2.49 - Put #32 Punch Petit Punch 2007, $4.00(pd)

Long Stick tray:
    Take: #16 Cohiba EL 06 Pyramid, $25.99 - Put #33 God of Fire Carlito Piramide '05, $28.98
    Take: #17 Partagás Presidente, $7.05 - Put #34 Vegas Robaina Unicos 2008, $7.60

Long-Filler tray:
    Take #22 Bolivar Short Bolivar RE A/P, $11.84 - Put #35 Romeo Y Julieta EL 2007, $12.03
    Take #24 Bolivar Belicoso Fino, $ 7.86 - Put #36 Cohiba Maduro 5 Secreto 2008, $7.87

These are my final put and takes, if agreed upon by the pass.

Rich
    Good to go from my end! I will update the first post, and, contrary to prior statements, I'll have the value column in there while the pass is in progress (this original post is authoritative).

Thanks for playing! I'll need your two squares too, please (e.g., A4, D2)

Mrtr33, you're up!
    Last edited by craig; 06-01-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: squares, clarified OP
    Craig

... For this pass, we have added learning, which is generally not fun .
    This pass is amazing and although it may be drab for those experienced in passes, I think everyone has done an amazing job being clear and asking questions or providing answers.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Blog Entries

For your consideration.......

Maduro Tray
    Take: Padron Churchill $4.27 Put: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Robusto Grande $4.58
    Take: Cabaiguan Guapo RX $7.12 Put: La Aurora 1495 Churchill $7.67

Triple Corta Tray
    Take: Punch Petit Punch $4.00 Put: El Titan de Bronze Sun Grown Redemption Lancero $4.20*

Long Stick Tray
    Take: Gran Habano Corojo #5 Pyramid $3.56 Put: El Rico Habano Torpedo $3.98
    Take: Jose L. Piedra Cazadore $1.90 Put: Angel 100 1961 $2.00**

Long Filler Tray
    Take: Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Corojo Torpedo $9.33 Put: Graycliff Gran Cru Presidente $9.40*
    Take: Ramon Allones Specially Selected $6.22 Put: Arturo Fuente Sun Grown King B $6.68

* What I paid for it. If necessary, I will divulge sources via PM. Should Host insist, I will make them public. Both transactions took place here at CS, amongst reputable members.
    ** This is the only reasonable price I've been able to find for these, and it's here. These cigars aren't being made any more and I can't find them on the cigarcyclopedia site anywhere. I am asking for this trade to be allowed, and that the set price for this cigar for the rest of this pass be set at $2.00.

I humbly ask your permission, and invite discussion.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 06-01-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Made it look pretty

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

mrtr33, are you ready?

Pleas pm correct shipping info just to be on the safe side.

My daughter picked out 2 squares a,2 and d,3, she wrote my name in them in pink, no laughing gentlemen!

Rich

Blog Entries

Nice smokes, thanks! Last price I have on the Angel 100 was 2.79, so 2.00 is reasonable.

Cabaiguan and Punch - bungee cigars!

Floor is open for discussion!
    Craig

Blog Entries

PM'd Rich my addy.

I have a question. What is this click-and-ship you speak of? I am not familiar with this. Perhaps this answer can benefit others.

Thanks again!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    PM'd Rich my addy.

I have a question. What is this click-and-ship you speak of? I am not familiar with this. Perhaps this answer can benefit others.

Thanks again!
    http://www.usps.com Print your label and get DC#.....cheaper than doing it at the PO.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Ash.

What about weight? Insurance? Do I just drop it off at the PO once I've printed the shipping label?

Thanks.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Thanks, Ash.

What about weight? Insurance? Do I just drop it off at the PO once I've printed the shipping label?

Thanks.
    3 lb. Pass was 2.75lb at start. There is no difference in postage rate for that weight (USPS Priority mail.) Pass route minimizes postage costs. Most of you should be zone 3 or less to the next person, but some zone 4 was unavoidable (click'n'ship calculates this automatically). This will be cheaper than the flat-rate. (Please do NOT use parcel post.)

You can drop it off, or usps can pick it up when they deliver your mail (most places?)

Just make sure to leave the bar code and surrounding area uncovered. Do not cover the bar code with scotch tape, clear tape, etc.

USPS does not insure tobacco products. You can buy the insurance, but it won't do any good.
    Craig

Maduro Tray
    Take: Padron Churchill $4.27
    Put: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Robusto Grande $4.58

Take: Cabaiguan Guapo RX $7.12
    Put: La Aurora 1495 Churchill $7.67

Triple Corta Tray
    Put: El Titan de Bronze Sun Grown Redemption Lancero $4.20*

Long Stick Tray
    Put: El Rico Habano Torpedo $3.98

Long Filler Tray
    Put: Arturo Fuente Sun Grown King B $6.68
    For the above Takes/Puts, my calculations came within $0.10 of the amounts that Mark has listed.

Mark, the pass is headed your way DC# 03006000000136262937.

Rich

Blog Entries

Mark, the pass is headed your way DC# 03006000000136262937.

Rich
    One-day turnaround! Awesome!

The bar has been set high for the rest of you!

Delays will happen, of course. That's cool, but please keep the pass informed.

Regular and timely communications are key to a fun and successful box pass.

It shouldn't take long for the pass to cross Louisiana, so I'll be checking Mrtr33's puts/takes shortly after I post this. I also have time right now, but won't have as much time tomorrow.

Ashauler on deck!

Hmm. Maybe we should have a sig for the pass ... keeping current sigs showing first, of course
    Craig

Thread Information