Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

1. Default Nothing like fine guns with fine cigars

Hey everyone I'm new to the cigar forum and posting, been smoking cigars for the last 4 years and collecting guns the last 10.... I love both, my personnel favorite is an A. Fuente Hemingway while sitting in a duck blind with my beretta urika 391 12 gauge. Would love to know any good cigars to try. Although I have been enjoying cigars for 4 years my knowledge and experience is extremely limited. My personnel favorites are Ghurka Grand Reserve Maduro, and RyJ Churchill. I have also enjoyed some Olivia and cohibas, please help educate me on some good cigars and tell me about any cool guns or hunting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerngent View Post
    Hey everyone I'm new to the cigar forum and posting, been smoking cigars for the last 4 years and collecting guns the last 10.... I love both, my personnel favorite is an A. Fuente Hemingway while sitting in a duck blind with my beretta urika 391 12 gauge. Would love to know any good cigars to try. Although I have been enjoying cigars for 4 years my knowledge and experience is extremely limited. My personnel favorites are Ghurka Grand Reserve Maduro, and RyJ Churchill. I have also enjoyed some Olivia and cohibas, please help educate me on some good cigars and tell me about any cool guns or hunting stories.
    I responded about cigars in your intro thread so I'm not going to go there in here except to say, I always take a cigar with me to the range.

I haven't hunted waterfowl or upland game in a long time (like 25 years) but did so avidly as a younger man. Now I hunt elk, moose and deer....and trust me, you do not want to be smoking a cigar while sitting out in a blind waiting for something to walk in range. While I'm not sure about the noses on ducks and geese, I can tell you big game have good ones........lol.

On the plus side, paper and dinger targets don't care..........heh heh

If you want a cool hunting story (or three or four) you stick around and ask again in a few months.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Still waiting on the complete upper to come in.

Picked up a few USGI mags at 6 for $100, I'm ok with that price for new mags.
    Also got a friend to pick up a case of 420 rounds 5.56x45mm Federal Lake City XM855 62 Grain FMJ SS109 for me in VA for $200.

I have also been thinking of getting a 50 BMG but i just cant afford one now days.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Still waiting on the complete upper to come in.

Picked up a few USGI mags at 6 for $100, I'm ok with that price for new mags.
    Also got a friend to pick up a case of 420 rounds 5.56x45mm Federal Lake City XM855 62 Grain FMJ SS109 for me in VA for $200.

I have also been thinking of getting a 50 BMG but i just cant afford one now days.
    6 for $100 is a decent price! I paid about $50 each for the 4 round magazines for my hunting rifle.

A 50 cal...........whew! I'd love one too but who can afford to shoot it........LOL.........the ammo for that stuff is way expensive. My brother the cop, they have a .50 sniper rifle for their tactical squad. I'm not sure what make/model but I've asked him and it may be possible for me to join him at the range some time when he takes it out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished rifle when you're done

Ar 15 completed ill post pics later.

I didn't get to shoot the Ar today, but i did get in some range time and sight in my 300 win mag and 10/22 i put new scopes on.
    shot up around $100 worth of ammo and had a blast.
    40 rounds of 300WM, 100 rounds of 9mm and aroudn 200 rounds of 22.

Next trip ill take a shotgun, Ar15 and my colt 22 but it will take me a week to heal up. My damn shoulder is toast after that 300 win mag we were taking turns shooting it so 3 of are hurting.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 02-21-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Ar 15 completed ill post pics later.

I didn't get to shoot the Ar today, but i did get in some range time and sight in my 300 win mag and 10/22 i put new scopes on.
    shot up around $100 worth of ammo and had a blast.
    40 rounds of 300WM, 100 rounds of 9mm and aroudn 200 rounds of 22.

Next trip ill take a shotgun, Ar15 and my colt 22 but it will take me a week to heal up. My damn shoulder is toast after that 300 win mag we were taking turns shooting it so 3 of are hurting.
    LOL

I can't wait to see the AR

Sounds like a good day at the range to me...........did you take a cigar along?

One afternoon I shot in excess of 50 rounds out of my .308 and I knew it was time to quit when I start flinching. Luckily that never happens with the 10/22!

Crappy pictures sorry.

I really do like the way the Ar came out the SOTA arms upper fits perfectly to my C3 defense lower.

This Stainless Muzzle Brake belongs on a tank

time to get a new gun cabinet i have room for one more long gun or i could just throw out the wifes BB gun.
    From left to right. Home built Ar 15, stoeger p350 home defense 12 guage, Ruger 10/22, Cheap Crossbow, Remington 770 in 300 wm, Remington 121 and My wifes Snake killer BB gun. "and a few hand guns laying on the shelfs"

Last edited by Mangyrat; 02-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL

I can't wait to see the AR

Sounds like a good day at the range to me...........did you take a cigar along?

One afternoon I shot in excess of 50 rounds out of my .308 and I knew it was time to quit when I start flinching. Luckily that never happens with the 10/22!
    I was smoking 601's at the range.

Shoulder is not that bad today i got careless and didn't have it in the proper spot on my shoulder so I'm paying for that now.
    I may head to the gun shop today and hunt for some 3 1/2 inch shells for the shotgun just to see how bad that is after 50 rounds or so.

5.56 is damn near imposable to find now but i got a few rounds "640" from a friend so i will be getting some range time in with the AR.
    Looks like i need to start reloading

That AR looks awesome. Great job! I bet that crossbow is pretty fun also.

This AR build is heavy compared to my friends AR i was shooting the other day.

Im not finished adding weight to it yet I went with a heavy forward grip and sling mount, both are aluminum.
    Not much plastic in this build other than Grip, trigger guard and adjustable stock.

I may be ditching the scope and going with a holographic and iron sights back up to shave 1lb of weight off of it.
    Ill decide if i want to do a trigger job on it after i get it to the range and put a few hundred rounds threw it.

This is not a light weight delicate build its made to take some punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    That AR looks awesome. Great job! I bet that crossbow is pretty fun also.
    I do like the cheap cross bow it was fun to modify to how i wanted it but im not finished with it yet.
    I still need to shim the bow forward 1/4 inch and twist it back to speed it up a little its 150 lb pull now i want it to around 155.

The range finder scope on it works really well for my old blind eyes "bifocals make it hard to see in scopes with fine cross hairs".
    I worked on the triger some polishing it and its nice and smooth but still has a long pull.

The quiver i made for the side of the bow needs to be lowered a little if i have broad heads in it it will cut the bow string first shot, its a easy fix i just havent had time to play with it.

Other then the BB gun its the only thing i can shoot in town with out going to jail.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-10-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Nice AR. The stainless barrel is an interesting choice but it looks really nice. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the M1 Garand I ordered a few weeks ago. Shouldn't be much longer now.

I was smoking 601's at the range.

Shoulder is not that bad today i got careless and didn't have it in the proper spot on my shoulder so I'm paying for that now.
    I may head to the gun shop today and hunt for some 3 1/2 inch shells for the shotgun just to see how bad that is after 50 rounds or so.

5.56 is damn near imposable to find now but i got a few rounds "640" from a friend so i will be getting some range time in with the AR.
    Looks like i need to start reloading
    Very nice looking AR, you did a good job. Between the weight and muzzle break, I bet the muzzle barely moves when you pull the trigger.

My hunting partner and good friend bought a home defender type shottie with the pistol grip with no stock. He loaded it with 3.5's and rapid fired them. After the 5th shot, his eyes were popped and he looked at me and went "ooowwwww" (like donkey on Shrek). Apparently 5 x 3.5's in a pistol grip is a little hard on the webbing between thumb and index finger...............ROFLMA

I see your shottie has a normal stock as well as the pistol grip so your hand shouldn't suffer as much as my friends did (he was done shooting for the day after that). but do keep it in mind.

I'm still a ways away from getting to my range. It's down in a river valley and now that it's melting, that road will be solid mud and unpassable (sighing) so I'll have to wait a bit.

I've been saving all my .45 acp and .308 brass for years because I plan on reloading myself one day. It's got to be the very best solution if you like spending time at the range, and I do!

Weather has been crap here also so no range time this week.

But i do have some days off so ill have a few good cigars waiting for the weather to improve.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 03-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.

It has been a fun week

Thursday i spent at the range and sighted in the AR.
    The AR preformed above my expectations, it ran flawlessly.
    I would not hesitate to order from SOTA arms again, they did a fine job on the upper with only light machining marks that are hard to see unless you are looking for flaws.

I was having to much fun so i ran 20 rounds of 300 win mag "just to punish my self for having to much fun" in the Remington 770.
    Then i finished up the day with the Stoeger P350 and a bunch of 00 buck to destroy what was left of my shoulder.

Spent a few days to recuperate then headed off to sandblast rally this mooring.

Ops canceled order.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 03-15-2013 at 02:32 PM.

I finally finished the stock. Here's a couple before/after pics:

Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 7 of 13 003.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	3351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 7 of 13 005.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	3352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 7 of 13 007.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	3353

The "after" pics will be in the following post.
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 04-07-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: image oops!

And here's the after:

Name:	April 7 of 13 017.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	3356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 7 of 13 020.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	3357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 7 of 13 022.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	3358

The following is a picture of both my first 99C and the one I just bought last fall:

Name:	April 7 of 13 028.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	3359

The one on the left is my first with the stock redone. You can tell from the above "before" photo it was well used. The dude I bought it off of was a guide and had used that gun for many years. The one on the right I just got in time to use last fall. The mfg date of the one on the left is 1984, the one on the right 1982. The older of the two was in brand new condition and judging by the fact that there were no marks on the stock or any other part of the gun combined with a stiff action and trigger, I'd wager it had less than 50 round through it before I got it.

Nice reconditioning CptnBlues63.

Blog Entries

It took nearly 3 months but my CMP Special in .308 finally showed up last night at my parents house. Now I just need to get home to shoot it. The AR is a Sig that my dad got last night as well.

Thread Information