Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

1. Default

I have a remington 700 that I use to shoot practical precision matches with. It has a bushnell HDMR scope and rock solid stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    I have a remington 700 that I use to shoot practical precision matches with. It has a bushnell HDMR scope and rock solid stock.

I like that rig! What kind of chassis do you have on it?
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I like that rig! What kind of chassis do you have on it?
    It is a Rock Solid Stock made by Todd Reynolds out of Texas.

Added a cheap 38 my mother had in her attic for years.

Never fired and no rust some how it survived years of neglect "arminius HW 38 special".
    I'm just a sucker for cheap guns and free is as cheap as it gets.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Added a cheap 38 my mother had in her attic for years.

Never fired and no rust some how it survived years of neglect "arminius HW 38 special".
    I'm just a sucker for cheap guns and free is as cheap as it gets.
    Nice!

It just doesn't get any better than free..........LOL

We had an awesome trip out west and came back with 2 antlerless mule deer, a calf moose and a bull moose. They're now in the freezer.

I came back with my "general" whitetail tag (good only for antlered) and bought two supplemental doe tags as well and have been hunting locally on a land belonging to my friend's (and fellow cigar smoker) girlfriend. She has 4 quarter sections they own and two they lease along the river valley. The only people allowed to hunt on her land are her son, her nephew and me.

Last year I dropped a really nice buck on her property and that rack is now hanging on my wall. It's a nice 5x5 (that's 10 point to you US folks...lol) typical rack. This last Saturday, I dropped another really nice buck in the exact same field. This guy is also a nice 5x5 but has a couple tines broken off from fighting. This rack was very close to being a 6x6 but those 6th tines aren't long enough to count (bummer) He's going to look good on my wall too once I get it mounted.

The Swarovski scope worked amazingly! I took the shot about 10 minutes past sunset so the light was a little tricky....and....he was 500 yards away. I used the 500 yard preset (of course) and with a couple quick adjustments (dialed up the magnification to max and adjusted the parallax/focus) I made a nice double lung shot. Luckily there wasn't a breath of wind so I didn't have to worry about making any adjustments for that.

So yeah, I'm in love with my scope now.......ROFL......and that buck is now being made into sausage. I'm getting it split 3 ways and having it made into, cheese smokies, maple breakfast sausages and summer sausage. I'm lucky in that too as the local abattoir makes some really, really good sausage.

If anybody is interested, my wife and I have a web page and I have all my hunting pic's on it. The site is password protected so you'll have to PM me for the URL and password.

I spent the day cranking out 9mm that I don't even need.

I picked up a Lee turret press and wanted to give it a work out so I made around 300 9mm.
    Load data is 115 grain plated bullets with 4.4 grain's of Red Dot and CCI primers.

Now that I know it works I will set it up for 300 AAC and get to work I need around 500 more just to have on hand.

8. Default

I spent the day cranking out 9mm that I don't even need.

I picked up a Lee turret press and wanted to give it a work out so I made around 300 9mm.
    Load data is 115 grain plated bullets with 4.4 grain's of Red Dot and CCI primers.

Now that I know it works I will set it up for 300 AAC and get to work I need around 500 more just to have on hand.
    Nice to know there is another reloader on the forum. I hated loading pistol ammo on the single stage. I ended up getting a progressive for 9mm and .45.

I may get a progressive for just pistol rounds.

I got the turret press just for the hell of it to see how much of difference it would make.
    I spent 2 hrs modifying the damn powder dispenser so it worked like I wanted other than that I was easy to set up and use.
    It is not that fast 4 pulls to make one round.

So far I am loading 300 win mag, 308, 300 AAC, 223/5.56, 45 ACP, 41 Rim Mag and 9mm.

10. Default

I may get a progressive for just pistol rounds.

I got the turret press just for the hell of it to see how much of difference it would make.
    I spent 2 hrs modifying the damn powder dispenser so it worked like I wanted other than that I was easy to set up and use.
    It is not that fast 4 pulls to make one round.

So far I am loading 300 win mag, 308, 300 AAC, 223/5.56, 45 ACP, 41 Rim Mag and 9mm.
    The progressive really speeds things up. It's pretty easy to crank out 300 rounds in a half hour without too much sweat. I'm thinking about setting it up for 223 plinking ammo. I will still load match 223 on my single stage.

I ordered a scope for my long barreled AR for Christmas. I'm hoping I will be able to keep the bullets supersonic to 1000 yards. I know they are going to start dropping like a rock past 600.

Well looks like I am not doing 300AAC today, I am out of brass

Went out his morning to start cutting some 223 down and all I found was 50 to 60 cases in the brass bucket.
    I forgot I loaded up a bunch for a friend last month and have not went to the range shooting so did not resupply.
    Looks like ill have to actually pay for brass or just wait till after Xmas and do a range trip.

Its back to 9mm loading today, I have plenty of cases but running low on bullets.

12. Default

Well looks like I am not doing 300AAC today, I am out of brass

Went out his morning to start cutting some 223 down and all I found was 50 to 60 cases in the brass bucket.
    I forgot I loaded up a bunch for a friend last month and have not went to the range shooting so did not resupply.
    Looks like ill have to actually pay for brass or just wait till after Xmas and do a range trip.

Its back to 9mm loading today, I have plenty of cases but running low on bullets.
    Don't go buying 223 brass. PM me your address and I will ship you some.

Don't go buying 223 brass. PM me your address and I will ship you some.
    Thank you for the offer but im ok, I will just hit the range after the holidays.
    I am fine on ammo I have around 500 rounds of 300AAC and the same with 6.56 I keep loaded, I just like reloading.

It's too bad you guys live in the US, I'd talk you into doing some reloading for me!

I've been saving all my brass for a long time as I do plan on reloading at some point in the near future. I'm looking at buying some used equipment from a friend of mine's father who hasn't used it in years. If I do score his stuff, the only thing I'd need to do is buy a good multi stage as his is single.

When the time comes, I know who I'm going to get advice from for reloading my .308's and .45's......

It's too bad you guys live in the US, I'd talk you into doing some reloading for me!

I've been saving all my brass for a long time as I do plan on reloading at some point in the near future. I'm looking at buying some used equipment from a friend of mine's father who hasn't used it in years. If I do score his stuff, the only thing I'd need to do is buy a good multi stage as his is single.

When the time comes, I know who I'm going to get advice from for reloading my .308's and .45's......
    Pick up a reloading manual something like Lee or what ever just get one and read it the first few chapters. All the rest of the book is load data you can use.

The best tool I have for loading is a cheap lee hand press that I take to the range with me $49 and I use the hell out of it.
    I prep some brass, prime them then grab the small digital scale, powder along with a hand full of bullets and load at the Shooting bench working out a load for my gun. "every thing I need fits in a small back pack".

No factory ammo can compare to what you load in accuracy.

Starting out remember "KIS" keep it simple, start with a single stage press and learn each stage then move to progressive or turret press.

The only thing I don't like about progressive or turret presses is the powder dump I prefer to weigh each charge.

Pick up a reloading manual something like Lee or what ever just get one and read it the first few chapters. All the rest of the book is load data you can use.

The best tool I have for loading is a cheap lee hand press that I take to the range with me $49 and I use the hell out of it.
    I prep some brass, prime them then grab the small digital scale, powder along with a hand full of bullets and load at the Shooting bench working out a load for my gun. "every thing I need fits in a small back pack".

No factory ammo can compare to what you load in accuracy.

Starting out remember "KIS" keep it simple, start with a single stage press and learn each stage then move to progressive or turret press.

The only thing I don't like about progressive or turret presses is the powder dump I prefer to weigh each charge.

Excellent advice......thanks!

I actually have used the aforementioned reloading equipment back in the day. We used to all help his dad make rounds. My best friend, his brother and me. So I've gone through the process on that exact equipment. I definitely wouldn't get rid of the single stage, and that's what I'd probably use for the .308 I love your idea about taking stuff with you to the range. You have to know I'm definitely going to do that when working up my loads!

I think even with a progressive, I'd still hand measure the powder for my rifle loads. With the .45, not so much.......LOL. I have several thousand brass (only fired once) whereas I only have around 1000 .308's (again, only fired once).

You've just reminded me I need to call my bro and ask him if he talked to his dad yet. I'm sure he'll include all his reloading books and such as well as the hardware.

17. Default

Excellent advice......thanks!

I actually have used the aforementioned reloading equipment back in the day. We used to all help his dad make rounds. My best friend, his brother and me. So I've gone through the process on that exact equipment. I definitely wouldn't get rid of the single stage, and that's what I'd probably use for the .308 I love your idea about taking stuff with you to the range. You have to know I'm definitely going to do that when working up my loads!

I think even with a progressive, I'd still hand measure the powder for my rifle loads. With the .45, not so much.......LOL. I have several thousand brass (only fired once) whereas I only have around 1000 .308's (again, only fired once).

You've just reminded me I need to call my bro and ask him if he talked to his dad yet. I'm sure he'll include all his reloading books and such as well as the hardware.
    That would be great if you get a complete set up to start. All the little things you end up buying really add up to a small fortune.

That would be great if you get a complete set up to start. All the little things you end up buying really add up to a small fortune.
    I've been looking into it for a few years now and already own a set of .308 dies I picked up for like $2 at an auction. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff his dad doesn't have but he'd have the basic essentials for sure and I'm thinking the price would fit my budget.....if he decides he wants to sell it. I emailed my bro this morning so I should hear back soon enough.

Blog Entries

User Day Drunk, why are you not all over this thread. I know you have sold at least one of your testicles to complete a gun deal in the past. You are the type of enthusiast this thread was made for.

Hopefully sometime in the coming year I will get a gun, join in this conversation, and give you guys some total gun newb comments that you can have lots of fun with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    User Day Drunk, why are you not all over this thread. I know you have sold at least one of your testicles to complete a gun deal in the past. You are the type of enthusiast this thread was made for.

Hopefully sometime in the coming year I will get a gun, join in this conversation, and give you guys some total gun newb comments that you can have lots of fun with.
    Obviously, he's too busy being very hipster, and drunk during the day.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information