Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

My wife is the gun-toting gangsta of my family. I grocery shop, cook, and she protects my life. It works.

I actually will be going to get my carry permit in about a week, I'm looking forward to being the man of the house again. It's been a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    My wife is the gun-toting gangsta of my family. I grocery shop, cook, and she protects my life. It works.

I actually will be going to get my carry permit in about a week, I'm looking forward to being the man of the house again. It's been a long time.
    LMAO.......won't make a damn bit of difference, but you'll sure as hell be safer in the produce section.

Ok lets get the gun thread back on track.

I finally got off gun restriction this morning and went right back on it 30 min later when she saw the email confirmation and price of my new toy.
    I ordered a upper to complete my new AR build 300 AAC blackout and some ammo.
    https://sotaarms.com/component/jshop...2/119?Itemid=0

Now that im on gun restriction again im scared to call the local gunsmith up and see if he finished my Rugger P89 I had him put new sights put on it.
    "I was felling lazy so I let them do the work". If I walk in the door of a gun shop something will follow me home I just know it.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-30-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Ok lets get the gun thread back on track.

I finally got off gun restriction this morning and went right back on it 30 min later when she saw the email confirmation and price of my new toy.
    I ordered a upper to complete my new AR build 300 AAC blackout and some ammo.
    https://sotaarms.com/component/jshop...2/119?Itemid=0

Now that im on gun restriction again im scared to call the local gunsmith up and see if he finished my Rugger P89 I had him put new sights put on it.
    "I was felling lazy so I let them do the work". If I walk in the door of a gun shop something will follow me home I just know it.
    LOL

I really like that AR upper, it's going to look great on. Definitely take pics and post them here.

I just bought a new scope for my hunting rifle. So I could have more money to spend on cigars, I decided to try a BSA rifle scope after reading a lot of reviews. Here I always thought BSA made only motorcycles. Turns out they've been manufacturing firearms for a long time, bicycle, motorcycles and now scopes. For about $150 I bought a nice 6x24 - 44mm with the adjustable turrets for windage and elevation as well as an adjustable objective lense. I can't wait for it to be delivered!

Oh, my bro came up to visit last Thursday (he's heading home today) and brought his Savage .22 (semi auto) and his 30-06 He got the 3x9 - 40mm that I removed from my main hunting rifle in anticipation of my new scope. We got him all sighted in and now he's all ready for hunting season too. The scope that was on his 30-06 went onto the Savage and I'm quite pleased and impressed with the accuracy of that particular rifle. The gophers back home are going to be most unhappy he's sighted in.........LOL We burned through about 2000 rounds of .22, a couple hundred .45 acp's and 24 30-06.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I've been using a Bausch & Lomb elite 4200 on my Remington 700BDL in 300winMag for over 10yrs now and still love it. Amazing optics for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    I've been using a Bausch & Lomb elite 4200 on my Remington 700BDL in 300winMag for over 10yrs now and still love it. Amazing optics for the price.
    Considering B&L makes lenses and such, I'm not surprised their optics are good.

A fellow shooting/hunting enthusiast I met online recently uses Nikon scopes and he is very happy with them too. I know if things work out and I build myself a nice Remington 700 based rifle to put my Swarovski on, I'm going to need to put a new scope one on my Savage 99 lever action so I'll be in the market for a good quality, but not nearly as expensive scope for it.

So Sailor, are you a hunter?

Blog Entries

My Marlin 30-30 lever has a Bushnell 3-9x that has served me very well for the past almost 15 years...damn that makes me feel old. Anyways, I'm not sure what model it is, but I remember it cost $99 new. As for Nikon, my Dad has a Nikon on his AR, I think it's a P-223. We were both pretty impressed by it.

8. Default

Just picked up an Arsenal SL 106 FR...Got it and 10 mags for a steal. Gonna leave it pretty much stock. Ordering a rail to mount an Aim Point Pro. Next stop 5.45x39 pistol to sbr. Really gotten into AKs recently.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Considering B&L makes lenses and such, I'm not surprised their optics are good.

A fellow shooting/hunting enthusiast I met online recently uses Nikon scopes and he is very happy with them too. I know if things work out and I build myself a nice Remington 700 based rifle to put my Swarovski on, I'm going to need to put a new scope one on my Savage 99 lever action so I'll be in the market for a good quality, but not nearly as expensive scope for it.

So Sailor, are you a hunter?
    Yes CptBlues63 I'm a hunter. My home is Alberta where if there was a season for it, I hunted it. I unfortunately don't find myself with those opportunities anymore. I am now living in Southern Ontario. The hunting opportunities are just not the same. The fishing though is impressive:)

Yes CptBlues63 I'm a hunter. My home is Alberta where if there was a season for it, I hunted it. I unfortunately don't find myself with those opportunities anymore. I am now living in Southern Ontario. The hunting opportunities are just not the same. The fishing though is impressive:)
    Dude!

I moved here from SK here to AB in 2005. In SK I only ever hunted deer, waterfowl and upland game. No moose or elk. Since moving here, I've stopped hunting birds (am considering getting back into it) but now hunt elk, moose as well as both types of deer. I'm up in Athabasca, about 2 hr's north of Edmonton. Whereabouts in AB are you from?

On our annual hunting trip we hunt on the Peace River valley, almost at the BC border near Silver Valley, AB.

I'm lead to understand there's lots of excellent hunting in northern Ontario. I wouldn't know, I've only ever hunted in SK and AB. But it might be worth checking around, you might meet someone who does hunt in Northern ON. I'm betting you're already signed up on canadiangunnutz.com ? If not, you should and maybe ask around on there. Lot's of members from ON. Barring that, if you own a travel trailer, you could go hunt crown land.

I hear the walleye fishing out Ontario way almost compares to the walleye in SK and MN.

Went out to Tobin Lake, SK this past June with my long time friend and fishing partner. We tied into lots of fish, just none of the real huge ones. My bro and I have both been avid fisherman since around age 5 and have logged many hours together in a boat. His family and mine both had cabins at lakes (different ones of course) and we've fished pretty much every species there is in SK at one time or another and have fished many, many different lakes all over the province. The limits here in AB suck totally (most cases it's zero and the rest are either one fish, or at best, two. Sk it's still 4 or 5 in most lakes) and there aren't near as many lakes as SK or MN. Oh well, I gained in the hunting department but lost in the fishing. Just goes to show, you can't have everything. Luckily I like hunting almost as much as fishing............
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 10-24-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: darned typos!

Dude!

I moved here from SK here to AB in 2005. In SK I only ever hunted deer, waterfowl and upland game. No moose or elk. Since moving here, I've stopped hunting birds (am considering getting back into it) but now hunt elk, moose as well as both types of deer. I'm up in Athabasca, about 2 hr's north of Edmonton. Whereabouts in AB are you from?

On our annual hunting trip we hunt on the Peace River valley, almost at the BC border near Silver Valley, AB.

I'm lead to understand there's lots of excellent hunting in northern Ontario. I wouldn't know, I've only ever hunted in SK and AB. But it might be worth checking around, you might meet someone who does hunt in Northern ON. I'm betting you're already signed up on canadiangunnutz.com ? If not, you should and maybe ask around on there. Lot's of members from ON. Barring that, if you own a travel trailer, you could go hunt crown land.

I hear the walleye fishing out Ontario way almost compares to the walleye in SK and MN.

Went out to Tobin Lake, SK this past June with my long time friend and fishing partner. We tied into lots of fish, just none of the real huge ones. My bro and I have both been avid fisherman since around age 5 and have logged many hours together in a boat. His family and mine both had cabins at lakes (different ones of course) and we've fished pretty much every species there is in SK at one time or another and have fished many, many different lakes all over the province. The limits here in AB suck totally (most cases it's zero and the rest are either one fish, or at best, two. Sk it's still 4 or 5 in most lakes) and there aren't near as many lakes as SK or MN. Oh well, I gained in the hunting department but lost in the fishing. Just goes to show, you can't have everything. Luckily I like hunting almost as much as fishing............
    I was born and raised in Drayton Valley (1 1/2hr west of Edmonton). Served my time in the oil patch The majority of my hunting was in the Nordegg area as well as chasing the elusive Trophy Elk in the Ya Ha Tinda ranch area. I have been giving some thought to going up north hunting and will check out canadiangunnutz.

We are getting close to ice fishing season and I live on a lake where Walleye is in season in the winter. Our little community basically moves out on the ice come Jan/Feb. Looks like a scene off Grumpy old men

I was born and raised in Drayton Valley (1 1/2hr west of Edmonton). Served my time in the oil patch The majority of my hunting was in the Nordegg area as well as chasing the elusive Trophy Elk in the Ya Ha Tinda ranch area. I have been giving some thought to going up north hunting and will check out canadiangunnutz.

We are getting close to ice fishing season and I live on a lake where Walleye is in season in the winter. Our little community basically moves out on the ice come Jan/Feb. Looks like a scene off Grumpy old men
    LOL

I've never been a huge fan of ice fishing. Probably because I don't own a good hut,heater and power auger.........LOL My old bones can't take laying on the ice. But I have gone a few times and it's not hard to imagine sitting in a nice warm hut sipping something tasty while smoking a good cigar!

I'm off to the range in a couple hours with my one hunting partner in order to sight his gun in. It's my old Savage 99 lever action that I sold him. I picked it up so I'd have a spare just in case but it doesn't have the removable magazine but instead the built in 5 round rotary the Savage 99 is famous for. I prefer a removable as it's quicker and safer to both load and unload. I picked up another 99C last year just before hunting season and managed to bag an elk and a nice 5x5 whitetail with it. So anyhow, I put new scope mounts on it for him and mounted his scope and bore sighted it. Now to get it set........we leave Thursday! I'm bringing the 1911, the Rugers (Mark III Hunter and Super Single Six convertible .22lr/.22magnum) and my main hunting rifle as well so he can do a couple shots with it and check out the new scope. Once he's properly zeroed in, we're going to burn up some pistol ammo!

We had a pretty good day at the range. My hunting partner's rifle is now zeroed at 250 yards and he's ready to rock. I ran a quick group of 3 at 100 yds with my Savage 99C with the Swarovski on it and you could have covered the group with a dime. All three rounds overlapped. Yep, I'm ready!

I forgot to bring all the .45 acp and only had about 50 rounds so we burnt those off. Terry brought a brick of some Winchester .22 LR and I had a brick of some Winchester .22 I hadn't opened yet. I will never buy that ammo again. First, the lead was fractionally longer than any other .22 shell I've bought in the last couple years so they didn't feed through my Ultimate Clip Loader
    http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html
    So I was reduced to loading the magazines for my Mark III Hunter by hand. That gets tiring and annoying fairly quickly (say about 300 rounds) so we didn't blow off all that ammo.

Second, they weren't ejecting properly and I've never had a shell that didn't before in my Mark III hunter and it's had at least 5000+ put through it in the time I've owned it. I'd like to blame it on the cool weather (it was a few degrees below freezing) but I've shot that gun under those temps many times without issue. Oh well, it's cleaned, oiled against rust and put away now for the winter.

Third, the same ammo was sticking in my Single Six. There were a couple empty brass I almost couldn't get to come back out of the cylinder. I'm not sure wtf is up with that, but like I said, I'll never buy Winchester .22 LR's again! I'm going to have to give these to somebody else as I'm not at all interested in shooting them through anything else.

Well, I'm almost 100% ready to go for my annual hunting trip. I have a couple "preload" items to put in the trailer and then it's just load what has to be loaded the morning I leave. I'm out of here Thursday morning and very much ready to go!

14. Default

I have a remington 700 that I use to shoot practical precision matches with. It has a bushnell HDMR scope and rock solid stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    I have a remington 700 that I use to shoot practical precision matches with. It has a bushnell HDMR scope and rock solid stock.

I like that rig! What kind of chassis do you have on it?

16. Default

I like that rig! What kind of chassis do you have on it?
    It is a Rock Solid Stock made by Todd Reynolds out of Texas.

Added a cheap 38 my mother had in her attic for years.

Never fired and no rust some how it survived years of neglect "arminius HW 38 special".
    I'm just a sucker for cheap guns and free is as cheap as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Added a cheap 38 my mother had in her attic for years.

Never fired and no rust some how it survived years of neglect "arminius HW 38 special".
    I'm just a sucker for cheap guns and free is as cheap as it gets.
    Nice!

It just doesn't get any better than free..........LOL

We had an awesome trip out west and came back with 2 antlerless mule deer, a calf moose and a bull moose. They're now in the freezer.

I came back with my "general" whitetail tag (good only for antlered) and bought two supplemental doe tags as well and have been hunting locally on a land belonging to my friend's (and fellow cigar smoker) girlfriend. She has 4 quarter sections they own and two they lease along the river valley. The only people allowed to hunt on her land are her son, her nephew and me.

Last year I dropped a really nice buck on her property and that rack is now hanging on my wall. It's a nice 5x5 (that's 10 point to you US folks...lol) typical rack. This last Saturday, I dropped another really nice buck in the exact same field. This guy is also a nice 5x5 but has a couple tines broken off from fighting. This rack was very close to being a 6x6 but those 6th tines aren't long enough to count (bummer) He's going to look good on my wall too once I get it mounted.

The Swarovski scope worked amazingly! I took the shot about 10 minutes past sunset so the light was a little tricky....and....he was 500 yards away. I used the 500 yard preset (of course) and with a couple quick adjustments (dialed up the magnification to max and adjusted the parallax/focus) I made a nice double lung shot. Luckily there wasn't a breath of wind so I didn't have to worry about making any adjustments for that.

So yeah, I'm in love with my scope now.......ROFL......and that buck is now being made into sausage. I'm getting it split 3 ways and having it made into, cheese smokies, maple breakfast sausages and summer sausage. I'm lucky in that too as the local abattoir makes some really, really good sausage.

If anybody is interested, my wife and I have a web page and I have all my hunting pic's on it. The site is password protected so you'll have to PM me for the URL and password.

I spent the day cranking out 9mm that I don't even need.

I picked up a Lee turret press and wanted to give it a work out so I made around 300 9mm.
    Load data is 115 grain plated bullets with 4.4 grain's of Red Dot and CCI primers.

Now that I know it works I will set it up for 300 AAC and get to work I need around 500 more just to have on hand.

Thread Information