Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Before you do anything take a look at availability and price of ammo. Prices have skyrocketed and availability has dried up in the past year or so. If you just want to plink, a .22 would be a good choice. Ammo is cheap and available. If you're looking for someting a little bigger maybe a .38 or a 9mm.

Blog Entries

Very sound advice!

.40 ammo is pretty scarce, and .45 rounds are pretty expensive on a good day. 9mm would be the best bet for a weekend toy.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Just to post a question out to everyone,

I am by no means knowledgable in handguns but I am interested in getting one for fun at the range and just to have around the house. What would be a good beginner's handgun?
    Get some safety classes first, or find someone locally willing to help you for their favorite brand of whiskey. Next, I would look at a starter gun like a hammerless S&W .38 so that you can get used to shooting it and work on being safe. Its low recoil and .38 is cheap to shoot.

Once you get the fundamentals down, then work your way up to a semi-auto like the Springfield XD line. They're under $650, come with 2 magazines, mag loading tool, gun holster, mag holster, and cable lock. I own both the XD .45 and XDm 9mm, obviously in different colors. Both are great shooters and I like the features and multiple safeties built into these models.

Kris

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I was planning on taking a gun safety course before even purchasing a handgun. Based on everyone's responses I am leaning a little bit more towards the 9mm based on the availibility of ammunition (and the fact that I just want it as a weekend toy).

I will let everyone know how it goes when I take the gun safety course. Again, thanks for all the input.

Blog Entries

Default Update on progess...

I had the pleasure of going to the range with a buddy of mine and we got to shoot several guns.

.22 / 357 / .40 / .45 / 9mm

Man that was a lot of fun! I really like the .22 since it was just a fun gun to shoot but being realistic, for home defense I think I will have to go with a 9mm.

The range master was also very cool and took the time to give me some shooting pointers like stance / breathing / aim / grip / etc.

I put up a new target for my last 5 shots of the day just to be able to see how I could do. I was really amazed at the fact that I hit the bullseye from 7 yds! Sorry if that doesn't mean much but I was pretty exited. I took the target home and I will post a picture of it soon.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will be going to a gun show this weekend so I am looking forward to that as well.

Just after the fall of the Berlin wall I was able to obtain a Makarov PM that was previously in the employ of the East German Stasi police. It fires a 9mm Mak (Makarov) 9X18 round and is stamped with the East German manufacturing mark.

I took it out a few days ago when I was watching a documentary on the wall just to look at it again. I haven't fired it in a while, but it used to be my carry gun and if you can find one it might just fit the bill. Ammo used to be generally hard to get, but I had a source. Took a look around the web and it seems to be fairly available and reasonably priced. It's small, accurate, powerful enough for protection and never jammed on me in probably 1000+ rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I had the pleasure of going to the range with a buddy of mine and we got to shoot several guns.

.22 / 357 / .40 / .45 / 9mm

Man that was a lot of fun! I really like the .22 since it was just a fun gun to shoot but being realistic, for home defense I think I will have to go with a 9mm.

The range master was also very cool and took the time to give me some shooting pointers like stance / breathing / aim / grip / etc.

I put up a new target for my last 5 shots of the day just to be able to see how I could do. I was really amazed at the fact that I hit the bullseye from 7 yds! Sorry if that doesn't mean much but I was pretty exited. I took the target home and I will post a picture of it soon.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will be going to a gun show this weekend so I am looking forward to that as well.
    That's great that you are proud of your shooting!
    I have shot just about every round available in the U.S.. and I still bring a good target home for the wall in my garage!

i personally like the .40 S&W for plinking and self-defense. I reload, so I don't know about ammo availability. Going to the gun show will give you a better idea of ammo availability in your area. If you do find the 9mm a better choice (available or not, the .40 will cost more) you won't be disappointed. Pick up every pistol you can and find a quality made gun that best fits YOUR hand.
    You are about to join a wonderful sport/hobby!
    Do take a class or two.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Just after the fall of the Berlin wall I was able to obtain a Makarov PM that was previously in the employ of the East German Stasi police. It fires a 9mm Mak (Makarov) 9X18 round and is stamped with the East German manufacturing mark.

Oh you prick ..... I'd give my eye teeth for a piece of history like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Get some safety classes first, or find someone locally willing to help you for their favorite brand of whiskey. Next, I would look at a starter gun like a hammerless S&W .38 so that you can get used to shooting it and work on being safe. Its low recoil and .38 is cheap to shoot.

Once you get the fundamentals down, then work your way up to a semi-auto like the Springfield XD line. They're under $650, come with 2 magazines, mag loading tool, gun holster, mag holster, and cable lock. I own both the XD .45 and XDm 9mm, obviously in different colors. Both are great shooters and I like the features and multiple safeties built into these models.

Kris
    A .38 revolver has my vote as well. They are simple, reliable, and cheap. An excellent first choice. The only drawback to the hammerless revolver is that it is useful for self defense only at point blank (arguably, most self defense is at this range anyway). The long trigger pull makes accuracy difficult at best.

With double action hammers, you have the option for an accurate shot, but also the danger of snagging clothing on the draw.

My answer is to buy a pistol to meet your preferance. If you want ultra concealment and light weight, you'll be buying a snub nosed pistol. Since these are very inaccurate beyond point blank to begin with, a hammerless version won't be much detriment.

If you want a useful target pistol as well as a self defense arm, you'll likely want a four inch barrel and a double action hammer. A proper holster will minimize snag risk.

My revolver is the other end of the spectrum. It has a full six inch barrel, and is chambered in .357 magnum (which also fires .38 special). It has a double action hammer and adjustable sights. It's an accurrate, multi pupose field pistol, and practically worthless for concealed carry. It's also my favorite target pistol.

A 9mm/10mm/.40cal/.357sig/etc. compact semi-auto is the next step up for concealed carry. Mine is a Glock 33. IMHO, Glock is simply the best automatic on the market. It may have it's equals, but none are better. The "baby" Glock packs 10 rounds of firepower and a 3 1/2 inch barrel into a package the size of a snub nosed .38. The LDA trigger mechanism is safe and similar in feel to single action, allowing accurate shooting. It has NEVER jammed or misfired yet.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 11-13-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Also, the most fun you will EVER have shooting is a using .22 rifle with a small scope and some Dum-Dum suckers sticking out of holes drilled in a board for targets, or busting clay pigeons with a shotgun.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

One more thing I'll point out...

Don't get too hung up on worrying about buying the wrong gun for you. Do the best you can, but if you buy something you end up not liking it's really no big deal. With our current gun salesman in chief nothing is difficult to sell for at least what you paid for it. I've never lost a dime on any firearm.

Blog Entries

Thanks to all for your advice. I am going to the San Antonio Gun Show tomorrow and will hopefully walk out with a new handgun. I will post an update as well.

Happy Friday!

Blog Entries

Default Locked and loaded!

On saturday I went to the Gun Show here in San Antonio and had a lot of fun looking at different handguns. I finally found "THE ONE". I had been looking at the S&W Sigma 9mm and I found it at a much better price at the show.

I payed for it and was able to leave with it right away. Before I left, I stopped at a gunsmith booth and had it cleaned before I went out to fire it. I also needed to learn how to properly clean it so that was very helpful.

I walked out of the show and went straight to the range. Put in 200 rounds through it and it worked like a charm. My aim was not at all bad either. All in all I am pretty happy with it. It is properly stored in a gun safe I got at the show as well. I will post pictures of it soon.

Thanks to all for your advice. I will be taking the CHL course on dec. 5.

Nelson

Congratulations. Have fun with it. Did you clean it when you were done?

By the way - If you bought it new and have a receipt go here for a $50 mail in rebate

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...oupon_2009.pdf
    Last edited by Shelby07; 11-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post

My answer is to buy a pistol to meet your preferance. If you want ultra concealment and light weight, you'll be buying a snub nosed pistol. Since these are very inaccurate beyond point blank to begin with
    I have to disagree with that statement. I've got a Model 37 S&W 38 Special Air Weight with a two inch barrel.. At 15 yards I can put all my rounds in the"heart area" on a B29 target. I scored two points higher with it than I did with my primary weapon...An H&K USP 40... on the combat course I'm required to qualify on four times a year.

It takes practice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Congratulations. Have fun with it. Did you clean it when you were done?

By the way - If you bought it new and have a receipt go here for a $50 mail in rebate

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...oupon_2009.pdf
    I did clean it that same day and yes, i do have the rebate info. I am going to get the 2 extra mags instead of the $50 while it is still legal!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I have to disagree with that statement. I've got a Model 37 S&W 38 Special Air Weight with a two inch barrel.. At 15 yards I can put all my rounds in the"heart area" on a B29 target. I scored two points higher with it than I did with my primary weapon...An H&K USP 40... on the combat course I'm required to qualify on four times a year.

It takes practice.
    Good show! Then again, you are a professional. I can't seem to find specs on a model 37 though. Is that a classic? If so, I assume it has an exposed hammer?

I assume you fired the shots all double action? The double action messes me up. It takes practice to pull all the way until just before the hammer falls, then readjust your aim, then finish the pull. I am surprised that the 1-7/8" stubby barrel performed so well for you though.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 11-17-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Good show! Then again, you are a professional. I can't seem to find specs on a model 37 though. Is that a classic? If so, I assume it has a hammer?

I assume you fired the shots all double action? The double action messes me up. It takes practice to pull all the way until just before the hammer falls, then readjust your aim, then finish the pull. I am surprised that the 1-7/8" stubby barrel performed so well for you though.
    They all have hammers. Some are internal, some exposed.

I don't go out too often with my Model 36, but I can hit a target 10-15 yards pretty easily. Mine is also a 1 7/8" barrel. Some of my friends go to police shoots & compete. They use range guns probably similar to the one you described you have. I'm told there are a couple guys who show up with "snubbies" that out shoot them. They are accurate with the right load.

"It takes practice" is right.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/Model_36.htm

There's some info on the Model 37 and its predecessors.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    They all have hammers. Some are internal, some exposed.

I don't go out too often with my Model 36, but I can hit a target 10-15 yards pretty easily. Mine is also a 1 7/8" barrel. Some of my friends go to police shoots & compete. They use range guns probably similar to the one you described you have. I'm told there are a couple guys who show up with "snubbies" that out shoot them. They are accurate with the right load.

"It takes practice" is right.
    Edited. I meant exposed hammer. Exposed hammers can be fixed if you prefer a DAO pistol, but like the price of an old used police revolver with an exposed hammer. My mother still has her old original used SW snubbie with the thumb lever ground off the external hammer. The thing probably has more use than an old military weapon, and is kept at the bottom of a purse filled with dust, but it never fails to fire every time. IF there's one thing you can say about .38 revolvers is that they are unfailing.

The worst pistol I ever owned was a Para-Ordnance P-10 (compact 1911 clone) chambered in .45 ACP. A powerful pistol in a small package for sure, but it jammed, a lot. It would stick when chambering a round due to the steep ramp from the magazine, and it would also occasionally catch spent brass in the ejection port due to the tenuous two finger pistol grip and heavy recoil snapping the pistol back with a lot of speed. A really hard grip on the pistol would prevent this, but it produced a lot of fatigue and affected accuracy. It looked cool but performed horribly. It should be noted that their larger frame pistols don't suffer these problems.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 11-18-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Thread Information