Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well I am back from a range trip and gun cleaning day.
    I ended up taking 10 guns and had a blast for 4 Hours but spent 5 hours cleaning guns after.

My shoulder is toast that 300 win mag beat the hell out of me "I was using a shooting rest and could not get a good grip on the front of the rifle so it beat the crap out of me 'one handing a 300 win mag". But I am dialed in at 100 yards with the new nikon prostaff 3-9x40 I put on it.

I did get in to a little shooting match with a guy that was on a 5.56 and I was using my 300 AAC at the time making a water bottle dance at 100 yards, he was the winner due to cost per round but I hit it ever shot so did he for 30 rounds each. "We both had the range basically shut down while they all watched" I was praying I did not miss a shot I just could not give up with this guy he was one of them want to be operators with a $1000 scopes and a colt AR 15 and I had a cheap UTG bug buster on my home built AR.

I also shot that 22 short pistol I found in my father in-laws junk draw and it didn't not blow up.
    I did not have as good a day with pistols, I was all over the place for some reason.

Its a good thing I was shooting my hand loads today or I would have not been as accurate.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

2. Default

Called the gunsmith today and the gun he's building for me won't be done in July like planned. He's still waiting on barrels. At least I get to meet him and see his shop when I visit my brother in law in Florida next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    Called the gunsmith today and the gun he's building for me won't be done in July like planned. He's still waiting on barrels. At least I get to meet him and see his shop when I visit my brother in law in Florida next month.
    What are you having built?
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    What are you having built?
    A ferret 50 supercomp chambered in 50 dtc. I'm going to use it for FCSA matches and some extra long range fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    A ferret 50 supercomp chambered in 50 dtc. I'm going to use it for FCSA matches and some extra long range fun.
    Sweet!

One of these days I'm going to get to shoot a .50

Nice i want one bad.
    The 50 is on my short list of guns i want.

Well i stated on the enfield yesterday and it has been a challenge to get the paint off it.
    Not much finish is left under the paint and i used chemical to strip the paint i did not sand it off.
    Most of the screws are buggered up good and the stock i am going to sand down and try to remove some of the damage.

I almost dropped the thing in the trash once i got started stiping it down it was in bad shape.
    I see why it was spray painted now to cover up the destroyed finish.
    Over all its only cosmetic damage the rifling and action are in great shape.

yes si have pictures but they are on my phone i don't know how to send them to photo bucket.

Nice i want one bad.
    The 50 is on my short list of guns i want.

Well i stated on the enfield yesterday and it has been a challenge to get the paint off it.
    Not much finish is left under the paint and i used chemical to strip the paint i did not sand it off.
    Most of the screws are buggered up good and the stock i am going to sand down and try to remove some of the damage.

I almost dropped the thing in the trash once i got started stiping it down it was in bad shape.
    I see why it was spray painted now to cover up the destroyed finish.
    Over all its only cosmetic damage the rifling and action are in great shape.

yes i have pictures but they are on my phone i don't know how to send them to photo bucket.

When I redid my Savage stock I cheated and sanded the old finish off. I didn't remove enough wood to matter through the process (I was careful) so the finished product looked decent. Oh, and I didn't sand in any of the tooled areas. Just very carefully around the edges. Here's some pic's:

Before:

and after:

The last picture showing the two rifles gives you a comparison. The top rifle was in basically "new" condition when I bought it. Not a ding, dent or scratch in the stock and I doubt it had fired 20 rounds before coming to me.

I wish i could save the stock but it has new wood added to replace parts that were damaged.

I may try a really dark stain to cover it up the best i can and i decided to use a flat black heat paint on the metal 'from what i can tell they were painted before" i cant find any blueing on it. "yes i have some cold blue but i dont think ill use it".

No way can i bring this gun back to original shape i gave up on that idea when i was breaking it down.
    Now i just want to make it useable and not be gold colored.

10. Default

That was one nasty rifle Mangyrat. I bet it will look great when you get it all finished.

Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.
    I sealed it with a flat coat to keep that rustic look.
    Ill up some pictures from the phone in a min.

New AR build for $491 that includes the sling, rear folding sight and 3 magazines. Tax put it just over $520.
    I used PSA daily deals and discount codes they sent me to keep the price down.

This is how im keeping the enfeild, not as good as i had wished but it will work.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 07-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Bought my sons first AR build. Its in .22 and shoots very good for an old man like me. He done a fine job. Cant wait to get my 13 year old nephew this weekend and blow through about 500 shells. He will have a blast.
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

Made it to the range this past weekend. Below is an example of what my Remington 700 is capable of at 100 yards.

Seems I always have one "throw away" shot but considering the squares are 1", the wild shot was still within 1" of the others. It's worth noting this was freehand. I don't use the lead sled once sighted in. Needless to say I'm pleased. My best grouping at 200 was inside of 2" I'm no sniper and I don't compete but I do want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at and be sure of a clean (ethical) kill at whatever distance. My hunting partner's dad always said, "If you can hit a pie plate at whatever distance, you'll put meat in the freezer" lol So far I've been able to and that 495 yard shot last fall on that buck was only made possible because I bought an excellent scope with a ballistic turret, and I practice lots.

I'm waiting for it to cool down some (late Sept, Oct) to get out and do some shooting up to 600 yards to ensure everything is good before hunting season starts.

Last edited by CptnBlues63; 08-07-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixin' typo's. Damn smartphone!

Nice shooting.
    Me i have 5 out of 5 flyers, if i am with in 3 inches im happy.

New gun again i was looking for a shotgun to leave in my shed/shop and found a Stevens 320 Field and Security Pump-Action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    New gun again i was looking for a shotgun to leave in my shed/shop and found a Stevens 320 Field and Security Pump-Action.
    I haven't played with one in years, but does the Stevens still have the single slide action rod? I was at a shotgun training class and the instructor talked about that being an issue - particularly in a combat situation. And wouldn't you know it? My Stevens failed when the single slide action rod broke while I was extracting a round (that's why Remington 870's have two). Glad I did it on the range...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I haven't played with one in years, but does the Stevens still have the single slide action rod? I was at a shotgun training class and the instructor talked about that being an issue - particularly in a combat situation. And wouldn't you know it? My Stevens failed when the single slide action rod broke while I was extracting a round (that's why Remington 870's have two). Glad I did it on the range...
    No they changed that, it was one of the first things i looked at when buying the gun. "they don't like it when you field strip a gun in the big box stores but if you're fast they can't stop you" Well in the stores defens it was the display gun i was taking apart before they knew what was happening.

Thread Information