Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    I would imagine a scope is very useful in Texas. There seems to be a lot of open terrain down there (at least that's what I get from the looks of the hunting shows made in Texas that I watch) so having a scope makes sense. Here in NC we usually hunt from a tree stand or on the ground in the middle of a wooded area where the deer is no more than 60 to 80 yards away. So an open sight Mosin could do the job.

What more can be said about the .30-06. It is one of the best calibers ever created. It helped save the world in WWII (with a little help from a rifle called Garand).

Yeah, what's wrong with the good ol' 30-06, or the newer .380 cartridges? Outside of grizzly bear and moose, it should take any North American game out there.

Magnum rounds are of questionable value to me. If you want to shoot fireballs, get a flame thrower. A fireball means you're wasting powder, making a lot of noise, and getting extra recoil, for nothing. The only time I can think of where that's desirable is in a weapon used for show. I guess it could be used in self defense to scare the shit out of an attacker without actually shooting him.

Ah well, my two cents. I guess making big booms is fun. There's entertainment value right?.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

My brother has one of those monstrous revolvers. The thing looks like it could amputate a limb, not to mention what it would do to the target!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

I just finished my display rack / cabinet for my collector rifles.

Last edited by FactoredReality; 07-25-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add photo
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Quote Originally Posted by FactoredReality View Post
    I just finished my display rack / cabinet for my collector rifles.

Very nice! A Garande, a Mosin and an old Bess?? Can't make out the last one. Is it an Enfield??
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Check out the contest sub-forum. Running a contest to guess them right now.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Added a few more guns to my collection.

The top one is my dad's and the bottom is mine. I put them together on Friday and got some shooting in this weekend.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    Added a few more guns to my collection.

The top one is my dad's and the bottom is mine. I put them together on Friday and got some shooting in this weekend.
    Very nice!! That's the best and cheapest way to do it. Buy an upper parts kit and a stripped lower and build it yourself. Did you get a detachable carrying handle??
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Thread Information